Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Septemberfest in Ottawa
Septemberfest in Ottawa
They're holding the local Oktoberfest celebrations this weekend. Yes, I know it isn't October yet; this is like having March Break in April.

They've got food - from a Scottish-style pub, an Indian takeout place, a chip wagon, and a grocery store. Oh, and a general-style restaurant from out of town that happens to sell the occasional schnitzel.

They've got beer - ales, ambers, and pales. And a cider. No pilsners.

They've got music - local folk and rock acts.

I'm so depressed. We used to have a thriving German community in town...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"Say, Joe, didn't some European country throw some kinda party in the fall?"

"Y'know, Frank, I think you're right."

"We should do that, Joe."

"Yes, we should. Do y'wanna find out the specifics?"

"Nah, I'm sure we'll come close enough if we just get people, food and booze all together in one place after the first of September."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

We just had Arthur's day.

Quite possibly the single most commercial holiday in history - the whole thing is bankrolled by Diageo who put on bands into pubs and the like, pay for discount beer promotions and generally get people out the door for half a day.

It's an excuse. We'll take any.

Oh yeah, I heard about that on the radio yesterday, including soundbites from the people who find it both ridiculous and promoting public drunkenness.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The intent behind the celebration was to just encourage people to get outside and have a good time in a pub and just show that it's possible to go out and have fun in a pub......

Now, the results are coming in followed by the usual spin with Newspapers reporting a 50% uptick on A&E incidents over the usual weekday with others saying it was no worse than a normall Saturday not and nothing like the usual festivals.... generally being twirled according to their own agenda.

I can see why people call it ridiculous. Most people don't care - we'll take any excuse. Nothing else happening this time of year.

After some research, I have located one Eastern-European restaurant in Ottawa. (There used to be more.) I have no idea what the food is like there... but I'm going to find out.

Next week, when it's actually October.
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, that place has food that'd get me in the door for a meal. Just the prices are to me a bit off, but then I also know of a local chain which does Schnitzel & chips/fries for AUD$8.5 and it's probably half the serving of what they offer.

Quote:robkelk wrote:
They're holding the local Oktoberfest celebrations this weekend. Yes, I know it isn't October yet; this is like having March Break in April.

They've got food - from a Scottish-style pub, an Indian takeout place, a chip wagon, and a grocery store. Oh, and a general-style restaurant from out of town that happens to sell the occasional schnitzel.

They've got beer - ales, ambers, and pales. And a cider. No pilsners.

They've got music - local folk and rock acts.

I'm so depressed. We used to have a thriving German community in town...
Any ommbahbah bands, blondes (natural and otherwise) in liederhosen and pretzels? Can't be Oktoberfest w/o them. I went to one in '89 in Munich.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:Any ommbahbah bands, blondes (natural and otherwise) in liederhosen and pretzels? Can't be Oktoberfest w/o them. I went to one in '89 in Munich.
No, maybe, and no, respectively.

It is to weep...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
Any ommbahbah bands, blondes (natural and otherwise) in liederhosen and pretzels? Can't be Oktoberfest w/o them. I went to one in '89 in Munich.
No, maybe, and no, respectively.

It is to weep...
I feel your pain.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell