Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcement: No Teasers For Chapter 15
Announcement: No Teasers For Chapter 15
Just to let you all know well ahead of time: Because of the contents and structure of the final installment of DW2, there will almost certainly be a dearth of scenes innocuous enough to be used as teasers. If I do end up writing something suitable, I'll probably post it, but I don't think it's likely. Sorry...

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
Re: Announcement: No Teasers For Chapter 15
No prob, Bob! It'll just make things sweeter for us when we finally read it. Take your time and let your muse do her thang. We're a patient bunch. [Getting into a lotus position] Calm, serene, ooohhhhmmmmmmmm..... Smile
you could always post random lines of dialogue....
The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that a colony of mice had apparently crawled into my mouth and died. Openning my eyes revealled that someone was firing a high-intensity laser into my eyes. Oh wait, that was an overhead light.
or something.... we're not picky... it can be something like cut snippets that you'd see in a movie trailer... enough to know there was action, possibly involving vampires and ships, but not enough to know anything actually useful....
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Quote:
Because of the contents and structure of the final installment of DW2, there will almost certainly be a dearth of scenes innocuous enough to be used as teasers.
Better to not post anything than to pull one of David Weber's/Arnold Bailey's tricks from Baen's boards - teasers that are made up of only the first letter of each word or only the punctuation or only every third word.... (all of which have been done)Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
I seem to recall Baen had a file up on their webforum that they, with a completely straight face, claimed to have every _space character_ from a forthcoming novel in it.
*snerk*
Ed Becerra
"Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move, things remembered arrive at full gallop ... the shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ..." -- Honore de Balzac
Weber @ Baen
And the best part of the whole "first letter of every word" teaser was when someone threatened to write a computer program to a) perform a statistical analysis of the starting letters of words in Weber's other books, and b) attempt to extrapolate the actual book from that data!
Would've been interesting to see them actually try. Smile
Re: Weber @ Baen
Quote:
Would've been interesting to see them actually try. Smile
IIRC, someone actually did.
It didn't work, but I'm pretty sure they tried.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I thought about that, and that sort of analysis, combined with a grammar checking engine, and a good dictionary, with some human input where it had several equally likely alternative words, would, I think, be able to make quite a good fist of the job.
Of course, I could be completely wrong! [grin]
Let's see, you can get good free dictionaries on Linux, a gramatical engine is quite likely, tools to parse and analyse any already online Weber texts, a scripting language to pull it all together... Yes...
[grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
You know, it's people like that who take all the fun out of doing something silly along those lines.

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
Gee the effort of actually kludging a program like that..... and getting it to make ACCURATE answers..... O_o
the brain boggled.
> Gee the effort of actually kludging a program like that..... and
> getting it to make ACCURATE answers..... O_o
>
> the brain boggled.
Well...
There is a software application that I have been tinkering with for more than ten years, and arguably working towards for nearly twenty, that if it works out as I hope should make things like that a lot easier. I think I am getting close to a working version...
But, I might just be indulging in self delusion! [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind