Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Upgrade Time!
System Upgrade Time!
My graphics card seems to have given up the magic smoke, this time for real. I'm managing to limp by thanks to Intel's CPU-integrated graphics, but I've been looking into replacements. Since the system is now three years old, most of the components have since been discontinued; most Graphics cards these days are using PCI-e 3. While I could just get one and stick it in the older PCI-e 2 and pretend everything's fine, it's probably best I take the opportunity to upgrade the old things. If I were to get a new motherboard that runs PCI-e 3, I'd also have to I update my CPU to work with the new LGA1150 socket.
So the current items I'm looking at are:ASUS Z87-A mobo
Intel Core i7-4770K CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GFX (likely from EVGA)
Anyone here have suggestions, horror stories, nerdgasms or other comments to add?
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Good CPU choice.  I can't complain about a HardOCP Gold-winning mobo, either.  You have style.
As for the GPU, that depends on what you have for budget, and what you want to be playing 3ish years down the line.  A 760 is a bit light for some of the upcoming awesomeness, most notably Star Citizen, so if that's your cup of tea, I'd look at a 780 (with an eye towards SLI).
What's the RAM situation?  I'd hope you're going for 8-16GB; anything less would be a shame, but anything over 16GB isn't really useful (outside of pro rendering software and the like).
Also, you may want to check your power supply (try to remember how old it is, and check how much wattage it supplies).
Hope this helps.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

The rest is hold-over from what I've got currently - RAM is 8GB in 2 4GB sticks, Power Supply is an Antec 650W. According to a few PSU Calcs, I've still got the juice for this, but likely won't be able to push much more comfortably. The GPU I had was - recent crashes aside - performing admirably on all the games I'd put it through; so unless the pace of upgrades takes a dramatic upswing, I don't anticipate any low-performance woes.

Thanks for the input.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI