Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, that sucks. (NO MORE!)

Glad to hear about the good news and that you've avoided a scam, Bob! 

If you're REALLY pissed and/or concerned others may fall for this company's deceptive practices, perhaps taking out an advertisement in a local paper or magazine might be an option to spread the word? 

That's just opening the avenue to legal action... it might be libellous.

Especially since depending on how the company's wage-scale is structured it might just be the one contractor chasing a big commission, or similar. Far better to resolve the issue with a politely worded letter to the management, than going to war. Besides, word of mouth between friends can be the death of companies too.... and is much cheaper and much safer when compared with an attack ad.

Good point. Better to go that route then.

Peggy, on whose account the check was drawn, has already stopped payment on it. That's as far as we've gotten in that regard.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

And the furnace went out again last night -- second-coldest night of the winter so far. We're back at her mom's place, and I'm waiting for a tech from the place that fixed it the last time to come out this afternoon.
-- Bob
---------

Good luck.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Tech came, stuck his finger into the furnace, and the flame came on. The gas valve he replaced was defective, and it gave out over the stress of the many many heating cycles of the last few nights. He'll have a new one for us tomorrow, and I believe it'll be under warranty for the valve and thus free.
-- Bob
---------

On the one hand, I'm glad this is the sort of thing I don't have to worry about. On the other - if the power goes out around here, EVERYTHING goes out. 

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Tech came, stuck his finger into the furnace, and the flame came on.
"Burning Touch! Give me Touch!"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

<snort>
-- Bob
---------

Hah! 
Though I was half expecting somebody to start singing Stan Bush's "The Touch"

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
On the one hand, I'm glad this is the sort of thing I don't have to worry about. On the other - if the power goes out around here, EVERYTHING goes out. 
I feel you there, Logan.  I live in San Antonio, but that doesn't mean one always has access to natural gas around here.  *Shakes head*  Sure, we may not always need heat, but some years it'd be nice not to have our electric bill jump just because it drops below 50.

Complications, but not big ones. Looks like we need a new heat exchanger as well as a new gas valve, and he couldn't get one before end-of-day. One more night at my mother-in-law's.
-- Bob
---------
It's about time...
The furnace tech just called me -- he's finally found a new heat exchanger for us, and it's being expressed at this moment.  As soon as it gets here, they're going to jump on repairing the furnace -- which in this case means basically disassembling it entirely to put the new heat exchanger in; the whole process is going to be a couple of days.
Yes, that does mean we've been at my mother-in-law's for the last five nights, and will be still for at least two more...
-- Bob
---------

Bob, I am surprised you guys haven't picked up a kerosine heater yet. Yes, the things can stink to high heavens, but it will keep your place WARM. Millions of Japanese who live in the countryside cannot be wrong about these things as they use them almost religiously.

A small electric heater works pretty well. Or did for me, anyway, when the heat died in the middle of winter at the house I was living in three years ago.  Then again, I was only concerned about keeping a single room tolerable instead of the whole house.

We have these things in Ireland called Superser heaters, running off bottled gas. They can put out a fair bit of heat on their own. If you have anything like that in the States it might be a worthwhile investment... the only thing to watch for is the pilot light going out, because they're all mechanical inside. And monoxide, of course. Just about every home in Ireland would have one to hand...

Dartz - sounds like some of the propane heaters I've seen here that use ceramic honeycombs to ensure an even burn and distribution.

Latest news -- I misunderstood the tech when he said the heat exchanger was being shipped, and assumed it was being expressed like the valves before it. No. It's freaking heavy, and it would cost a fortune to overnight. The HVAC company checked on the shipping status of the exchanger and confirmed it would be arriving on Monday, though -- which means if they jump on the repairs as quickly as the tech said they would when we last talked, we should be back in our house by Wednesday night. Which would be wonderful.
-- Bob
---------
Finally ... thank god
The heat exchanger finally arrived at our HVAC company today -- delayed two extra days by the storm and the state of emergency in NJ.  But it's here, and the repair guys are going to showing up between 9:30 and 10:00 AM tomorrow to start the process of disassembling and reassembling our furnace.  If we're extremely lucky, they'll finish the job by tomorrow evening. 
In the mean time, it's still 40 degrees F in the house, and only dropped 1 degree in the last 24 hours, despite the low overnight being somewhere in the single digits F.  Even so, I left a very low-power ceramic space heater in the utility room to make sure the one pipe I've been worried about stays above freezing.  (Said space heater will then serve tomorrow morning to make it possible for me to work from home despite the temperature in the house.)
-- Bob
---------
And we are back...
The repair guys showed up at 10, and figured out how to do the job in just a couple hours instead of a couple days. Of course, just before they were done there was a massive power outage affecting at least two towns (here in Somerset, and the next town over, where my mother-in-law lives -- we both lost power). It took 90 minutes or so for the power to come back, at which point they basically just had to turn on the furnace. The heat's been running continuously since, we're up to 51 F so far, and I am about to complete my work day from my dining room table.
-- Bob
---------

And while all this has been going on, my dryer has failed.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.