Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Web Comics Recommends - The Saga Begins
Web Comics Recommends - The Saga Begins
You guys know what?  I just realized that we don't have a nice online comic recommendation thread.  So!  In celebration of me getting Internet access back once again,I figured I oughta go ahead and kick one off!  Big Grin
Grrl PowerYour basic superheroes comic... only with delightfully raunchy, nerdy, geeky, and outright cheeky humor.  Seriously, there were times I just could not stop laughing.  It stays pretty well in the PG-13 territory so it should be Safe For Work.  Updates weekly on Mondays.
Questionable ContentLike indie music, AIs, T&A, and sarcastic humor?  You'll love this.  NOTE: At times, most assuredly NOT SAFE FOR WORK.  It is exactly what it says on the tin.  Updates Mon-Fri.
DerelictI can't quite figure out what exactly has happened here.  Definitely post apocalyptic.  Sea life has somehow suddenly evolved and Humans aren't the only people on the planet anymore.  Of course, that's not to say they aren't making the best of it.  Careful of blood and gore, and I think one or two scenes of nudity.  Updates Mon, Wed, and Fri.
Kiwi BlitzSet in the future.  What happens when you give a hyper-active one-legged pink-haired German girl a Kiwi-mecha?  Why, she decides to fight crime for great justice!  Updates are irregular because the author/artist just started teaching English in Japan.

What I'm reading, not including web versions of newspaper strips:

Kiwi Blitz
Set in the ... oh, wait; BA's already listed this one.

http://vagabondstarlight.com/]Vagabond Starlight
Another one set in the future. Geoff just wanted a job - he didn't expect to end up on a tramp starfreighter. Updates Monday and Thursday. (Since it's a bit difficult to find, http://vagabondstarlight.com/archive/]the archive's here.)

http://xkcd.com/]xkcd
The artist bills this as "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language." It's more eclectic than that. One of the earliest, if not the first, good stick-figure webstrips. Updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

http://girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php]Girl Genius
In a world where the Industrial Revolution has become all-out war, Mads battle for supremacy. We follow the adventures of Agatha Heterodyne, one of the few Mads with a conscience. Updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (Currently in a filler arc while the Foglios take a couple of months off.)

http://www.gpf-comics.com/]General Protection Fault
Set at a small software company, this strip rather quickly took a left turn at sci-fi and never looked back. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Pr ... (webcomic)]the rather-long Wikipedia page for a capsule description - yes, it's one of those strips. Updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

http://kevinandkell.com/]Kevin and Kell
Anthropomorphic animals ... that act a bit more like animals than most furries do. The titular characters are husband and wife in a "blended family" - he's a rabbit, she's a wolf. This strip has been daily for over a decade and has never missed a day. Ever.

http://www.unshelved.com/]Unshelved
Monday through Thursday, this is a strip about librarians. Not libraries - the people. Friday, it's a weekly book recommendation column.

And a couple of "what if this property was a RPG" strips: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/]Darths and Droids (Star Wars, no recognizable game system; updates Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.) and http://friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/]Friendship Is Dragons (My Little Pony, D&D; updates Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Surviving The World
Daily Photocomic by Dr Dante Shepard, on all manner of subjects. Chalkboard messages and appropriate pose.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

My Little Pony: Friendship is DragonsA webcomic designed much the same way Darths and Droids is run. My Little Pony is an rpg played by a group of young girls who represent the full range of gaming experience, from shy novices, to gung-ho combat thrillseekers.
Go Get a RoomieThis is about a girl who is unabashedly bisexual, and sleeps with anyone who shows even a smidgeon of interest in her, at the drop of a hat. Any hat. She finds a narcoleptic, shut-in girl who isn't "interested," and finds over time that this girl starts to mean a great deal to her. (Note that GGaR is most definitely NSFW!)
Super Team Family: The Lost IssuesNot really a webcomic, the site moderator puts up a comic cover every day which shows crossovers which would have been awesome if they'd been written. He draws from across the 'verse, freely blending all comic companies, movie franchises, etc. Some of the possible comic storylines presented would have been epic! (Jan. 1, 2014 was "The Anti-Monitor vs. Dark Phoenix" for instance.)
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Not A Villain
From the about page:

Quote:In a post-apocalyptic world, hackers are hunted down since the virtual reality “L.i.F.e.” is what most people have left to live, to work, and to play.

Kleya, a genius hacker, is trying to reform her bad habits and live like a normal person. Alas, the addictive virtual Game is calling her name and she has an extreme dislike of losing…

Don't let the art style at the beginning run you off, a lot of it is Stylistic Suck.

-Morgan.

Gonna second xkcd, Girl Genius, Go Get a Roomie, and Not A Villain.

Although it bears mentioning... the titular character in Roomie is not bi. She's homosexual. Fortunately, like the fun-loving little hippie she is, she's not bad about it. In fact, if I recall she even feels kinda bad for the guys that fall for her.

A couple of recommends of mine that have been finished (yes, that's right, as in 'done, not abandoned'):
Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire
Dominic Deegan is an freelancing oracle who's good at his job, but hates the usual riff-raff his trade attracts. And then one day he meets woman named Luna Trevoria and it all goes from there, eventually building up into one huge knock-down-drag-out climactic battle. Lots of sarcastic wit, terrible puns, and crowning moments of awesome. Fair warning, though: the author, Mookie, is a big-time death metal fan, and Dominic Deegan reflects this. Bad things happen, people screw up, good people get maimed and/or killed. But over all, it doesn't fall anywhere close to grim-derp territory.
Darwin Carmichael is Going to Hell
Pretty much what it says on the tin. In a world where the natural and super-natural walk openly side-by-side (seriously, he got a bunch of angelic roomies that are complete pot-heads, a pet manticore that thinks its five years old, and his other roomie is an artist with his very own muse), Darwin Carmichael has a huge nasty black mark on his karma and is going to go to hell if he can't fix it. Story meanders quite a bit, but it is chock full of great character development. Might also be NSFW - can't recall for sure.

Misfile Pot smoking angel screws up and boy wakes up to find he's a girl. Fairly serious and streetracing.
Star Power Sci Fi Superheroine. Good art.
Terinu Space Opera with pirate boy of species thought extinct.
Widdershins Steampunk and magic.
Unsounded He's a zombie wizard from a repressive dictatorship. She's a lion tailed pickpocket from a lawless city. They get on each other's nerves.
Ava's demon Being haunted by the ghost of an alien dictator used to be the biggest problem she had.
Blade Bunny There's a blonde bimbo assassin running around fantasy Japan. So where does the robot bounty hunter fit in?
Freefall A hideous alien with inhuman morality, a genetically engineered predator released from the lab by a mad scientist and a badly programed robot are all that stand between a colony world and a robot war triggered by a corrupt businessman. Usually light humour.

I've always been fond of Sluggy Freelance, although I got out of the habit of reading it a few years back and have lost the plot thread completely.

Description?  Um.  Adventures of Torg (flannel-wearing nerd), Riff (slacker sort-of mad scientist), Kiki (hyperkinetic ferret ditz), Bun-bun (Megalomaniac lop-eared rabbit with a fondness for switchblades) and their friends/enemies across time and space.  Lots of self-aware fun. 

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Web Comics
Sluggy for sure; it isn't as funny as it once was, but the art and storytelling have become considerably more refined.www.sluggy.com
www.sinfest.netSinfest is wonderful, one of the few cartoonists who brings genuine grace of line and design to the work.  Far more sophisticated than it appears on the surface; and a great example of evolution of themes from its inception to its current state.
www.theoatmeal.comThe ideal mix of humanity and misanthropy.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/Science, humanity and strange.
www.oglaf.comJust plain wrong on so many levels; but almost always guaranteed to make me laugh aloud.  Not safe for work, home, or anywhere really.

I cant believe no one has mentioned schlock mercenary yet
I also had been liking Dumbing of Age but have been buzy enough I've gotten out of the habit
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Got a new one for you guys!

http://www.modestmedusa.com/

Modest Medusa. A gaming geek winds up with an utterly adorable child-medusa in his toilet. Contains crude humor, epic awesome, warm and fuzzy feelings, and just the right touch of grimm-dark (the sort with a light at the end of the tunnel that is not an express train).

I'm astonished that I haven't seen Gunnerkrigg Court on this list yet.  "Within the first week of my attendance, I began noticing a number of strange occurrences. The most prevalent of these oddities being the fact that I seemed to have obtained a second shadow."  The main character has spanked Coyote.  Not a coyote; the god Coyote.
Sandra and Woo.  A twelve-year-old girl, her English-speaking "pet" raccoon, her boyfriend whose Burmese mother is raising him to be a freedom-fighting guerrilla, and her pyromaniac, boy-hungry best friend.  Also by the same writer-artist team is magitek fantasy Gaia.  

No Need for Bushido.  It's feudal Japan, but with anachronistic references to, for instance, Canada and hot dogs.  The female lead's father is one of the most awesome escape artists ever, despite being a daimyo who shouldn't have had any reason to acquire that kind of skill.  Of course, he keeps getting distracted and recaptured whenever the sexy ninja ladies show a bit of leg -- which is just about all the time.  The Unsound Effects are hilarious:  "Implausible!" is the sound of a key, knocked out of the guard's hand, flying through the air to insert itself into the lock and then turn, unlocking the shackles.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Got a new one for you guys!

http://www.modestmedusa.com/

Modest Medusa. A gaming geek winds up with an utterly adorable child-medusa in his toilet. Contains crude humor, epic awesome, warm and fuzzy feelings, and just the right touch of grimm-dark (the sort with a light at the end of the tunnel that is not an express train).
Just finished going through the archives of this one... and added it to my "regularly read" list.
--
Rob Kelk

Here are some more links:
Love And Capes. Romantic comedy featuring the world's greatest superhero hero Crusader, Abby his new wife, and their assorted friends and family.Order of The Stick. Long-running D& D comic with stick figure art. Don't let the stick figure artwork put you off - Rich Burlew is a master storyteller. Outsider. Long-running space opera comic set in 2160 AD. Humanity has begun to colonize the stars, but Humanity's first contact ( the Orgus refugees) have told them about the war between the insectile, enslaving Umiak and the genocidal, telepathic Loroi. Neutrality is not an option, but which is the right side for Humanity? Humanity's Scout Corps send out most of their scout ships to find the answers. The comic is written from the viewpoint of Alexander Jardin, the sole survivor of the Bellarmine. Outsider's main flaw is the update schedule- Jim Francis's (aka Arioch) artwork is wonderful, but the last update was nearly a year ago."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"-Colonel VanHeusen , from "It! The Terror From Beyond Space"

Soutern Cross Wrote:...
%[link=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html]%[link=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html]Order of The Stick]. Long-running D& D comic with stick figure art. Don't let the stick figure artwork put you off - Rich Burlew is a master storyteller.
How did I forget to mention OotS?

Oh - because it's updated irregularly, so it isn't on any of my "read these today" bookmark lists. Just like http://www.collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php?s=1]Sequential Art, which started as a strip about an artist named Art, but grew like Topsy. I doubt I could explain this one...
--
Rob Kelk

Any of these provide archive accumulations, maybe in the form of .cbr files we can d/l for offline reading?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

No idea, Norway. I think that OotS might be floating around out there as PDFs or the like... but OotS books are sold for profit, so don't expect them to be found too easily.

As for Outsider...

Ugh... No updates in a year (or at least, as of the 17th of this month, it will be), and the last news post by the author to the comic's home page was in August (as was the last post to his WIP thread on the WoS Forums). I will be pleasantly surprised if he starts updating again.

My recommendations that won't induce Archive Panic:Katamari: We are flattered to be considered for this list.  Our brilliance is displayed, and we suppose other people show up too.  ROYAL RAINBOW!!  (145 pages)Lighter than Heir: A military comic with some vaguely steampunk influences.  It stars the daughter of a famous war hero, trying to live up to her father.  The twist: she's a volant, with natural buoyancy in air (but no other superpowers).  She's also a jerk. (381 pages)
And some complete comics:Little White Mouse: A complete graphic novel, republished online, about a girl who finds herself stranded alone on a spaceliner.A Miracle of Science: A story of space, love, nanotech, human consciousness, and Science-Related Memetic Disorder.Casey and Andy: Author avatar mad science comic, where the main character dates Satan.  She's the jealous type, but hey, free rez helps when you play with antimatter.
-- ∇×V

Whew! Had to jump back three pages in the forums to find this thread again!

Anywho...

Here, got a new one for the rec list! Solstoria is a beautifully and lavishly illustrated full color webcomic that updates weekly on Wednesdays. The story, some sort of fantasy tale, can't tell much about it yet, is just start so there's no huge archive panic to be had here - under 90 pages at the time of this posting.

Let's see, what do I read that's not on the list yet...
Looking For Group A fantasy comic loosely based on World of Warcraft, the primary character (an elf named Cale'anon) seeks to help people and make the world a better place.  He may have better luck if he he didn't hang around with Richard the undead Warlock.
VG Cats pokes fun at videogames primarily, occasionally other things.  Has a secondary comic parodying pokemon (Super Effective)
Goblins  The adventures of a group of Goblins in a D&D-esque world.  By turns funny, exciting, and heartbreaking. The characters also regularly break the 4th wall.
And a plug for my brother's webcomic:  Fatherhood, begun when his wife became pregnant.  His tagline?  "I'm making it up as I go.  I might even survive it."

Say... speaking of "A Miracle of Science"... does anyone know what ever happened to the printing of the 2nd volume? I've been waiting for it for years. And the duo's later work, Afterlife Blues, has been on hiatus for a loooong time. I'm starting to wonder if I should try to download the entire AMoS archive somehow before the web site maybe goes up in smoke....

Sadly, I would say that archiving it is a good call. 

If you need to archive a particular URL, add it to the Wayback Machine, please.

In order to archive this particular page, visit:
http://web.archive.org/save/http://dru ... ins?page=2

In order to archive some other page, replace everything after "save/" with the URL of the page you actually want to save.
--
Rob Kelk

Kill Six Billion Demons
The story of a woman trying to figure out just what the heaven is going on.

It is a very pulpy webcomic, that draws from both epic fantasy and science fiction (if you are familiar with Exalted, it is somewhat reminiscent of that), and has absolutely gorgeous art. I'm serious. Look at this:
(This is from about a third of the way in.  It starts off a bit rougher, and keeps getting better.)
Some pages are NSFW.  Updates Tuesdays, usually.
Edit:I'd also like to rec the pixel comic Kid Radd, a completed webcomic that follows the adventure of a NES era platforming hero dealing with the wide wide world beyond his game.  If you think of something along the lines of a mix between ReBoot, Tron, and Wreck-It-Ralph, you'll be on the right track.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Existential Comics

A weekly source of Philosophy and Logic humor. It's rather new, it seems (only 24 so far) and some of the longer comics may be a bit drier than others, but I find it quite amusing. Perhaps because I'm a mathematics person.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI