Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's ready for the Olympics? Not Sochi.
Who's ready for the Olympics? Not Sochi.
Just... Just read these tweets...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Okay, the wire in the shower is just terrifying. What the hell.

-Morgan.

I'm sorry, Mr. Putin, I don't think you have enough polonium to make all of the bad attention go away this time. 

I think after this that the only people that are going to be showing up in Sochi are gonna be the Athletes and the Reporters...

...And even then I think that some of them are going to just jump back onto the planes in protest.

On the brighter side, the extremists may decide not to launch any attacks at Sochi. The corruption alone has done the job for them.

Worse case scenario...a terrorist suicide bombing in either Sochi or in the Olympic village

Worst case scenario..a repeat of the 1972 Munich Olympics.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

CBS Radio was talking to their man in Sochi on my way into work this morning -- he was described as co-host for the opening ceremonies, but I don't know if that means for the ceremonies themselves or just CBS' coverage of them -- and he was asked about this. He said that Sochi is by no means the worst-prepared Olympics he's been to, out of the sixteen he's covered over the years. He reluctantly admitted that Atlanta in 1996 was the worst in his experience, with scoring systems non-functional and transporation breaking down; and mentioned Athens 2004 as a close second, telling an anecdote about concrete steps crumbling under his feet as he was running up to a press booth.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Remember that the Russians promised the athletes wouldn't be targeted by the new anti-gay laws?

Guess what...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And this is a surprise how?
-- Bob
---------

Yeah.

On a related note, did you see today's Google Doodle? The news up here did.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I think that what will make the Sochi Winter Olympics go down in history is just how much wrong it has to go around, especially in this day and age.

Let's list some of the major problems:

1. Public safety hazards abound
2. Unsafe drinking water
3. Hotels not even finished when guests with reservations began showing up
4. Shoddy workmanship everywhere
5. Rampant Corruption
6. Actively targeted by terrorists
7. Not as LBGT-Friendly as advertised

Can anyone think of anything else to add and how it stacks up to other Olympic games?

Oh, and don't forget the government official who admitted, in a moment of uncensored anger, that they have video feeds in hotel bathrooms. Because they used them to see that people complaining about the conditions in their rooms are actually turning on their showers, aiming them at the walls, and then going out all day.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Oh, and don't forget the government official who admitted, in a moment of uncensored anger, that they have video feeds in hotel bathrooms. Because they used them to see that people complaining about the conditions in their rooms are actually turning on their showers, aiming them at the walls, and then going out all day.
Be interesting what the former deputy minister's new job is going to be?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

In Soviet Russia, See locked door, make window.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and don't forget the government official who admitted, in a moment of uncensored anger, that they have video feeds in hotel bathrooms. Because they used them to see that people complaining about the conditions in their rooms are actually turning on their showers, aiming them at the walls, and then going out all day.

Last I'd heard, some other guy came out later and said that no, of course they don't have cameras in bathrooms.

The phrase "stop digging!" comes to mind...

-Morgan.

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
That level of creepy privacy invasion qualifies him for either the NSA or TSA.

Quote:khagler wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
That level of creepy privacy invasion qualifies him for either the NSA or TSA.
**RIMSHOT**