Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I need some Android recommendations...
So, I need some Android recommendations...
...specifically, I'm looking for good apps for my 7" tablet I bought with Christmas money.
I already have Kingston Office, and a barcode scanner, and even a radio scanner (network streaming type). I'm open to a lot of things, but I'd specifically like a GPS program, a good sketch program that doesn't come from Autodesk and works with a stylus, and a really good offline map program. Anything past that would be gravy as far as I'm concerned.
Do note that one of my requirements is "will work when I'm not internet connected". If a program will say, "sorry, I need to load ads, you can't use me right now", it's a deal breaker. Ditto for anything that mandates I allow it to actively report my location to others.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

If you find yourself needing an ebook reader, I'd check out Cool Reader. I'm not sure how the format support compares*, but it's extremely configurable. I consider being able to set up the appearance and controls exactly the way I think is a good idea rather than the programmer thought was a good idea to be a nice feature.

*Handles anything I've needed, but I don't use much beyond .txt, .html, and .epub.

-Morgan.

For ebook reading I personally prefer FBReader.
For GPS, MapFactor Navigator allows you to use all free OpenStreet maps easily. The paid version works with TomTom maps. Besides that, you have all the online-only apps like Google Maps or Waze.
Note that there is no version of Garmin GPS for android (except an app pirated  from a garmin-branded phone that requires rooting and modification).
OruxMaps is a powerful map reader.