Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Allston RIP
Aaron Allston RIP
Just got the word - Aaron Allston passed away at VisionCon in Missouri from heart failure. 

Aaron Allston wrote the Wraith Squadron Star Wars novels. He was also an incredibly prolific game supplement writer. If you've ever played ANYTHING from Hero Games, then you have Aaron to thank for much of the flavor text, advice on RP and how to construct a good Superhero RPG scenario. He was also prominent in some other games that I can't think of at the moment. 

I'm feeling as gutpunched over this as I was over John M. Ford's passing. I met Aaron a couple of times at Dallas cons. And he was the hoopiest of froods. 

...dammit.
His Doc Sidhe duology are some of my favorite books ever. I've been hoping for a third for... god, twelve years now.

And now it'll never happen.

Dammit.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. 
DAMNIT.

Allen Varney wrote a very good obit here: http://plus.google.com/+AllenVarney/posts/8ogyNeuYUgY

Quote:Valles wrote:
...dammit.
His Doc Sidhe duology are some of my favorite books ever. I've been hoping for a third for... god, twelve years now.

And now it'll never happen.

Dammit.
Echo that.  Damn, damn, damn....  And Doc would scold us for cursing....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Dang, I only read a few of his X-wing novels and thanks to the Mouse I'm going to have to get the rest second hand. Don't know about Doc Sidhe, has Baen ever offered it as a free ebook?

Yes. I have a copy on my Kindle.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Obit by Steve Jackson: http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/Febr ... on_Allston
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'm still sitting here stunned. And like Valles I was hoping so much for another Doc Sidhe. I'd seen his RPG work and heard of the Star Wars books, but those two books were what I think of when I hear his name.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

I first encountered Aaron with his amazing campaign sourcebook for Champions, Strike Force, which had all sorts of interesting ideas for roleplaying massive campaigns of superheroes and developing all the things you wanted for character backstory. (I haven't read it in years; I think I need to get another copy.) I found the Doc Sidhe novels later. He was a guest at ConDFW and AggieCon several times while I was staff for both, and he was always a cool guy to talk to, both about games and his novels. He'll be missed.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Oh... CRAP.

I just... dammit!

I loved his "Galatea in 2-D" urban fantasy book.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll