Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, So I Picked Up this Laptop from the Pawn Shop...
Okay, So I Picked Up this Laptop from the Pawn Shop...
... for U$125.  It's a Toshiba C665D series laptop.  Certainly not the best out there.  However, as this laptop is in pristine condition, it is a huge step up from my busted up old Toshiba A665D laptop.  Seriously, I think the last owner got it NRFB from a Walmart that was overstocked on the damn things and had it for all of one month before his kid accidentally deactivated the touch-pad and hocked it thinking it was broken.  Yeesh.
Anyhow, busted up old laptop has a 775 GB hard drive in it, with all my documents (on a separate, non-system partition), and partitioned to dual-boot with Ubuntu...  New laptop has a 300 GB hard drive... and a barely yet touched OEM Install of Windows 7...
I think you can see where I'm going with this.
For those that don't... The basic idea is to blank my current Windows system partition in the larger drive and copy over the newer installation in all its virgin glory.... Then install the larger hard drive in the unbroken laptop.
All that said... can anyone recommend a utility that will handle this even with the differing partition sizes?

No need, really.

If it's a completely box-fresh installation you can just get a Windows 7 iso and use the license key on the bottom of the computer, IIRC. Especially since Toshiba OEM installs tend to have a fair bit of crap on 'em.

Argh...

Well, another reason why I'd like to go this route instead is because I never have any luck wresting the boot privileges from the Windows partition after I re-install and setting them back to GRUB, short of completely re-installing Ubuntu. Complete pain in the ass. It never seems to take, no matter how much I mess around in the Windows Recovery Console and the Ubuntu Live Install CD's console.

Maybe I'll have better luck this time, but still.... AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

I don't know of any imaging software that'll allow you to swap over the OS between HDDs, as I've never really thought to do that. You may, however, be able to use Boot-Repair to edit your boot order back in order.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

BTW BA,

Can you read what was on the original drive? A lot of owners do not bother scrub their data.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Ord, there wasn't even much there. Like I said, it was like as if they had it for a month, then got rid of it.

Possible reasons:
1) Kid locked out the touch pad and parents couldn't figure it out because they didn't RTFM
2) Didn't perform quite as well as they liked, wanted to trade up, but store wouldn't let them, so they hocked it instead
3) Was a 'privilege' for their kid and it got revoked. Hard.

As for the image issue... eh, ferget it. I just swapped the hard drives between the two machines. Windows 7, on both laptops, just shrugged and reinstalled the needed drivers. Pretty cool, huh?

Sounds like a plan.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell