Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little here, a little there and it all adds up.
A little here, a little there and it all adds up.
I decided to upgrade my old phone into a newer model.The new smartphone has all the bell and whistles I could want. But it's the accessories that kinda got me into sticker shock. The phone eats up batter life like there is no tomorrow. And I do plan to use it like a mobile hotspot for my laptop when I'm in the field. So I ended up buying a car mount, a battery brick, an extra set of car/home chargers..etc. So that went from  50 bucks to around 300 bucks. And that is with a 15 percent discount. Ugh.
It's a Casio g'zone commando in case anyone is interested. The question now is if I need to get the blue tooth watch or not.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The question is not if you need the Dick Tracy watch, but can you justify spending however much it costs more to be as cool and cutting-edge as a 1930s comic strip character.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Don't knock it. I've used the iPod Nano as a wristwatch before. And while it's no phone, it's nice as hell to have your music >>>RIGHT THERE

Saw a guy with the watch..he had the Cobra Command logo on it. I'm thinking more of the G'Shock watches.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I wasn't knocking it - what man would not want to be like Dick Tracy?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:

I wasn't knocking it - what man would not want to be like Dick Tracy?
What man wants to be like Maxwell Smart?  Smile
This phone is power hungry. 10 hours on battery and it was at 24%. And that's just turning on the wi-fi at McDonlads to look at the email and news for 10 minutes. I'm going to either hook this thing up to an AC outlet or use the battery pack aka the brick to see if I can run my laptop at a remote site. 

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

So I looked up your phone.  Ten seconds later, I knew what your problem was.
You have a 1460mAh battery.  That's kinda thin, when you consider that most smartphones are at or above 2000mAh.  Oh, and hotspotting takes up a lot of battery. >.<
So you're trying to do high-draw things on a low-capacity battery.  Expect that to get worse if you get the watch.  I hope you're watching you screen brightness like a hawk- that takes up a lot, too.I'd check your power details in Settings- that'll tell you what your biggest draws are, by percent, which'll let you tailor your usage.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:Bluemage wrote:

So I looked up your phone.  Ten seconds later, I knew what your problem was.
You have a 1460mAh battery.  That's kinda thin, when you consider that most smartphones are at or above 2000mAh.  Oh, and hotspotting takes up a lot of battery. >.<
So you're trying to do high-draw things on a low-capacity battery.  Expect that to get worse if you get the watch.  I hope you're watching you screen brightness like a hawk- that takes up a lot, too.I'd check your power details in Settings- that'll tell you what your biggest draws are, by percent, which'll let you tailor your usage.
Thus the reason I decided to get this:  http://www.mophie.com/shop/smartphones/ ... es-tablets
6000mAh should be more than enough for one day me thinks. 

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

If you didn't get it *yet*, I'd go for this, instead.
http://www.amazon.com/15000mAh-Portable ... ords=anker
Got one, and it's niiiiiiiiice.
But yes, 6000 will help nicely.

I've been writing a bit.

Well I am on road trip and I am using the brick as a power source. No problems save for fat fingers.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, I have used it on the field. Hooked up the phone to the battery brick and turned it into a mobile hotspot for the rest of the day. I was using my laptop to do my reports during the inspection. Turned out I used up about 100 mb of data per field day. Which is 10% of my data plan. Which saved me about 4 hours of office work. The brick even allowed me to recharge my camera when it went dead. I left it in the car when it went cold. I am not sure though if the Dell laptop we are issued can be hooked up to the USB port for battery power. Something to ask our IT guy. One thing I won't do though is to use streaming video/audio or go to you tube.
So for me, I just need to get a blue tooth printer and I have my own mobile office. Sweet.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Aw crud. I finally figured out why the voice command feature and why I have to switch to speaker to talk. The mike is dead. Oh well, time for a swap.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well I got a replacement phone but I ended also getting a tablet that Verizon is promoting for free. Not really free since it's an extra 10 bucks for the line and another 8 bucks for the insurance. I also have hard time saying no to a pretty face. Sigh
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Which one?

I've been writing a bit.

The Ellipsis 7 tablet. No great shakes, but for what I plan to do, it's adequate.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, tried out the nuanced voice recognition system. I was able to hold two text messages with 2 teenagers easily. It seems to work best in a fairly quiet environment and sometimes the homonyms screw it up, but not bad.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell