Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Battletech question
A Battletech question
I know we've got some knowledgeable BT players here. A while ago I picked up the 25th anniversary starter box which has been sitting in the pile, the rules in it put me off somewhat then I played a game of BT:Alphastrike, now that I liked and I'll pick up a copy soonish. However, I'm still left with a problem just what factions can I make with the 'mechs in the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/25th_Annivers ... ry_Box_Set]box. Not to mention the time period.

At one time before ROM, before Wobbies, I would've said Comstar. Now? Not them, nor the crazy's which knocks out most of the Houses.

For fun I thought about going Lyran, just for the joy of running a Lyran scout list, but I think I'd have to get more Atlases.

Quote:Rod H wrote:
For fun I thought about going Lyran, just for the joy of running a Lyran scout list, but I think I'd have to get more Atlases.
I suppose you could get by with some Atlases, since it's a scout lance.  Maybe.  It's a bit light for a scout lance, though- you'll want some decently large 'mechs to go with them.
This is why the BT/Macross fic on SB has people saying the Lyrans would LOVE the Monster.
As to actual advice, sadly I have none.  I've only a little BT experience, meself.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Well, whenever someone finally decides to remove the true problem over at Palladium, I may end up with a Monster. Till then I've the fun in locating the Bandai/Wave/.... kit.

Though, the starter box does come with an Awesome...so two Atlases or one of each to make a Lyran scout lance? Then again I think my typical lance in Mechcommander 2 was two Bushwackers, a Raven, an Atlas and/or Catapult/Vulture.

Honestly, you can make pretty much anything out of that bunch, except a Clan list. Which would be boring anyway.

The traditional answer is "I make up a merc unit and say they've been hired by $FACTION_THAT_I_LIKE".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Norway said what I was thinking.  Except that I find the Clans reprehensible, not "boring."
Note:  Catapults are a bit light on reloads (8 x LRM-15 salvos for each launcher), but consider what happens when you remove the jump jets, which happen to be in the left and right torso, just like the ammo storage.  Suddenly, you've got space for 24 salvos per launcher, meaning soak the downrange area in HE before you send in the close-action boys (and girls; we don't want to be sexist about war).  Half again as much indirect-fire softening-up as say, an Archer or Stalker can deliver. 
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

You should do them up as Fen from Candle In The Dark.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

XCom livery appears to be greyish-tan with yellow/orange trim, for reference.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Or use your FoW paints, and claim the merc unit came from a neo-Soviet colony on the Periphery...
Or you could just do them up as per your favorite Space Marine Chapter.  Or maybe in all silver, with black detailing on the joints and red cockpits.  Call them the Terminators.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Heh.

I'm playing the Duchy of Andurien in a forum RP, so I'm painting up one unit in cream and purple as the Defenders of Andurien, and another in purple with red-and-blue trim as the Marik Militia.

If you want a look at a lot of cool and canonical paint schemes, there's a website called "Camo Specs Online" (http://www.camospecs.com) that has a hugemungous gallery of pro-painted minis.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Personally i like playing wolf in exile or a merc unit were I run a raider unit. Nothing mech wise faster than 58 or slower than 46 and I use hover hover tanks and vtols for scouting.

Hmm, greyish-tan. Does that come under an RAL/RLM or Federal specification? As I've applied a Vallejo primer to two 'Mechs -Desert Tan- and it just revealed how finecast-esc they did the plastic mini's in the starter kit.
Yay, they're pre-battle damaged!

So, as I've five other colours of primer I can use for starters (white, black, Russian Green 4BO, RAL8012 & AP's Ultramarine Blue), which leaves me with the starting problem for the topcoat: what shade's grayish-tan?
Is it [Image: 5789.png]
or
[Image: 5788.png]

Those both show up as grey on my monitor, I'm afraid.
Looking at the Vallejo color map, consider perhaps 

[img]http://ScaleModelDb.com/paintimage/5790">
Personally, I prefer Reaper's MSP Khaki trinity.
Basecoat: [Image: x09121_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EyK3ARVPxm.jpg]  Drybrush up with: [Image: x09122_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NgH-74_mC7.jpg]  And highlight-drybrush with: [Image: x09123_G.thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qEhsERqdLE.jpg]
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

To me I see little difference between Japanese Uniform and Khaki grey
[Image: 5786.png]
And the latter is one I have at hand, the former is one I'd need to travel out to my FLHS to get. Unless I head off to the extremely limited trading hours storefront of Eureka Minatures, I'm better off going to the FLHS.

As for Reaper, I'm liking their paints to do cloth, leather and skin - all done over white primer - unfortunately I've lost my copy of their HTP #2 guide and all I can remember from it for female skin basecoat is four drops of rosy skin to one drop ??, it's not linen white for that produces "never seen the sun" Anglo white skin. As for HTP #4...well for me their recommended female skin basecoat mix....Ganguro, still loads better then what I did with some GW stuff - Essex girl.

--Rod.H
"I know the Cannoness, appears to have overdone the fake tan. The next to mention it will help the Retributors test their Multi-meltas!"

You know, it might just be my monitor, but I see a small but distinct difference between both pairs. Pity I have no idea what you're looking for, Rod H...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There is a definite, but subtle difference between the Kakhi Grey (#6A6452) and Japan Uniform (#74694E).

As for what one you want to actually use, the extent of my painting experience is watching Bob Ross' "The Joy of Painting". Go with whatever feels right; and if it doesn't look right, strip and/or paint over it.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Now it's time for a game:Which one's greyish-tan?
[Image: 1a91611c940d70d8ba626cd05fd8cc8000c10bcf.jpg]
Right! Two miniatures, an Atlas and a Catapult. Both primed the same - Desert Tan 73.613. The only difference is their basecoat. The Catapult has had an application of Vallejo WW2 Japanese Uniform 70.923. The Atlas is Khaki Grey 880 (under contract for BF by Vallejo, so it's really their 70.880).

To me, Japanese Uniform's currently too yellow and Khaki Grey currently the front runner for being greyish-tan. Of cause that may change once the paint's cure as I've noticed that some Vallejo paint's seem to get darker over time. Yet if it doesn't, I think I've found the drybrush highlight for Khaki Grey.

Given the two choices.The Atlas on the right is greyish-tan. The Catapult is mustard.

Quote:Rod H wrote:
Hmm, greyish-tan. Does that come under an RAL/RLM or Federal specification? As I've applied a Vallejo primer to two 'Mechs -Desert Tan- and it just revealed how finecast-esc they did the plastic mini's in the starter kit.

Yay, they're pre-battle damaged!
BTW: They've just re-released the basic set. Including a complete re-casting of the minis that come with it. MUCH better quality.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I would say that the Japanese Uniform would make for a good "desert camo" base color, and the Khaki Grey seems to be more "Forest Camo". Neither look particularly "grey" but the Japanese Uniform is certainly more tan/sand color.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

And neither looks at all like the color swatches provided on Vallejo's website.

Perhaps the swatches were made assuming a black primercoat?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.