Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lunar Eclipse - did you guys catch it?
Lunar Eclipse - did you guys catch it?
I did. Both live outside alternating with the view from NASA Streamed from Griffith Observatory. Quite a show! There'll be 3 more in the coming year - a full tetrad as it's known. 
I posted this on facebook yesterday as the eclipse was reaching totality: 

Quote:The Moon right now looks rather a lot like Mars, actually.
I have to wonder - what would this show look like from out there on the Moon?
You'd be able to see the dark side of the Earth where a few minutes before the Sun would've been blocking it out. And all around the Earth would be the rim of light from the sun refracting through the atmosphere. 
A continuous sunrise/sunset all around the edge of the disc of the Earth, with all the city lights gleaming at you on the night side.
And if you cast your Astronaut eyes through the faceplate of your helmet at the regolith at your feet - would it have that blood red light coloring everything? One of the few times that you'd see any color on the Moon itself other than stark black, white and grey.
And the stars! Normally you'd not be able to make out the stars in the glare of the sunlight off the lunar surface. But then, with the circle of the earth's night-side above and the sunlight only dimly coming through that band of fire at the outer edge of the atmosphere...
Man, what a show that would be!

Caught the tail, got laughed at for initially looking the wrong way and upon not seeing the moon, declaring it set and going back inside. I completely forgot what part of the cycle it was in. Either way the camera I used in an attempt to get a picture of it, was completely of the wrong type. Or I need to get a tripod.

I completely brainfarted on it, dammit.
Edit:  Then again, it was mostly overcast by us, at least early in the evening; I distinctly remember seeing the rising moon as a glow behind clouds, now that I think about it. 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Was that last night?

Oops.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Work, dear God... Always at such inconvenient times. And city driving being what it is, gotta keep my eyes out for tourists that don't realize they're drive wrong way down a one-way and people who don't know how to drive in general.

Overcast.  Story of my life when it comes to astronomical events, at least since I moved here.  Well, that and forgetting which night it was ... I've done that plenty of times, too.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I went out to catch it, saw the beginning... next thing I know, I'm standing mostly naked in a field of mutilated potatoes, covered in ketchup.

SkyeFire Wrote:I went out to catch it, saw the beginning... next thing I know, I'm standing mostly naked in a field of mutilated potatoes, covered in ketchup.
Yeah, yeah, quit your boasting...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Storming here so I missed it.

Well, there's apparently also the partial solar eclipse to look forward too as well. The last time I looked at one, I almost fried the eyepiece in my telescope. No, I was not looking down it at the time - not that stupid. I was using the 'scope to project the sun onto the ceiling, worked well. I was so engrossed in looking at the image, I forgot to move the scope and before you know it: 'what's that smell?'.