Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camelopardalid Meteor Shower
Camelopardalid Meteor Shower
NASA is predicting a brand new meteor shower for tomorrow night, May 23-24.  This is the first time that the Earth has passed through the orbit of Comet 209P, so we don't know exactly how big it will be, but the dust from the last few centuries of the comet are predicted to produce 100-200 meteors per hour at the peak.  It could be nothing, since we're not very good at space weather prediction yet (that stuff is dark, man), or it could be the first of many great shows.
The Camelopardalid Meteor Shower is expected to last from 10:30 pm on May 23 to 7:00 am on May 24 EDT (7:30 to 4:00 am PDT), with the peak viewing time somewhere in the middle (3 EDT/midnight PDT, ±1 hour).  Meteors will appear to originate out of the less known constellation Camelopardalis, between Ursa Major and Andromeda (and lying roughly 10° southish of Polaris, depending on the time of night).
That said, meteors can appear in any section of the sky in a meteor shower.  The best time to view all meteor showers is after midnight, where the Earth faces forward in its orbit, though that effect might be less since the source is so far from the ecliptic.
Either way, get outside, try to find a dark place, and enjoy the show.  Even if it's just stars out there, Mars and Jupiter are both very bright.
More info: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/ ... alids.html
METEOROLOGIST BRENT LAABS(producing his first forecast not involving hydrometeors)
-- ∇×V

Terrestrial weather forecast here is for thundershowers. Let me know how the meteor shower looks in clearer skies, please...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We're probably going to be clouded up, too, dammit. And it's so rare when a meteor shower hits at a time when I don't desperately need to be asleep at the peak viewing hours...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The combination of clouds and city lights kept me from seeing anything. Sad
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

Didn't catch this until it was too late. Missed out and I had a great place to veiw from too out on the beach just west of Destin Florida.