Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA may now have a fuel less "rocket"
NASA may now have a fuel less "rocket"
NASA has posted a report of a drive that may be producing thrust without ejecting a reaction mass. I seen several links, but here is the Popular science link.--------------------http://www.popsci.com/article/technolog ... SOC&dom=fb--------------------
It's not much thrust, but  needing no reaction mass would be an incredible boost to satellites, space station and anything else that needs to do station keeping.
hdm
God Bless 

Saw this.

TBH, I'm a little sceptically now. On mature reflection, it seems that the test rig they expected to generate thrust, did so. While the control they expected not to generate thrust, also did so. There's something suspicious about that.... which suggests to me that, while they might've found an 'effect' we won't know what that exactly is until it's taken up to space.

Actually, the recent experiments made me more skeptical than I was before -- seeing similar behavior in the control is not a good sign. It would be awesome if it works though. If it shows any more positive results in ground-based tests, it might be worth the few million dollars to test it in space.
-- ∇×V

Ion drives don't eject reaction mass, but they do eject energy. Is this another case of the same thing?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Ion rocket thrust
Ion rockets have a reaction mass that is exhausted at very high velocity from the thruster. These ions are made from gas stored in an on board fuel tank. The gas is usually one of the inert noble gases such as xenon
hdm

Oh, look: http://xkcd.com/1404/]today's xkcd.

[Image: quantum_vacuum_virtual_plasma.png]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Dartz Wrote:Saw this.

TBH, I'm a little sceptically now. On mature reflection, it seems that the test rig they expected to generate thrust, did so. While the control they expected not to generate thrust, also did so. There's something suspicious about that.... which suggests to me that, while they might've found an 'effect' we won't know what that exactly is until it's taken up to space.

More groundbased tests before it goes into space, much cheaper and easier to investigate. Also in the paper they suspect that the force generated by the control was due to the sheer amount of power running it through the test rig would act like an electromagnet and have some attraction. Notably the test created a lot more thrust than the control.

I am somewhat skeptical still even though a chinese team and NASA both have replicated it their findings are way off from each other so... Still worth following up on just because if it works it'd be insanly valuable.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Some discussion and links on Choas Manor
Dr. Jerry Pournelle's Chaos Manor site has several comments and several links.

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmanor/

It has several other on going topics beside the fuel less rocket so you will have to scroll slowly through the stack and look for comments by Dr. Pournelle and others that are on the Fuel less rocket.

hmelton

Edited to correct formatting.