Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...well, crap.
...well, crap.
Robin Williams died this morning.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Ye gads... the poor man committed suicide... Sad

Though his stand-up comedy wasn't nearly as funny in the last decade, he was still a fantastic comic and dramatic actor. He'll be missed.
I feel for his family. And - reading up on some of the reports, it turns out he'd been battling depression for years. Possibly decades. It's probably where a lot of his problems with drugs stemmed from. The poor guy - who can imagine what demons haunted him?
I have to admit, though. I suppose my reaction is selfish. Of all the comedians and comic actors of my youth when I was growing up, he was really my favorite. And when allowed to really cut loose, he was amazing. I wanted there to be more. And now there will be no more. 
SHAZBOT!!!

I was 15 when he appeared on Happy Days, and Mork and Mindy after; it's hard for me to remember a time without Robin Williams. I saw him live once -- he came to Princeton in 1983, I think, on the tour that became the Throbbing Python of Love album, with John Sebastian of the Loving Spoonful opening for him. I was in the 8th row, center, and he actually climbed up into the audience not far from me to get at a heckler. Although he had the reputation of a master of improv comedy, a lot of his stuff was carefully crafted and rehearsed -- the monologue on TPoL, for instance, where he plays an old guy running a newstand who meets Robin Williams -- he did an earlier, longer version of that at the show I saw. Just wonderful.

He will be missed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Damnit. Damnit, damnit. DAMNIT.

We 'aint never had friend like him.

RIP

To paraphrase the last thing he said on that Happy Days episode:  "So long, Robin; you've been boss."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
When I read the initial news of death by asphyxiation my first thought was 'Please don't have your dick in your hand Robin, please don't have your dick in your hand."

Quote:Rev Dark wrote:
When I read the initial news of death by asphyxiation my first thought was 'Please don't have your dick in your hand Robin, please don't have your dick in your hand."
Sadly, that was one of my first thoughts as well. And while his body being found by his personal assistant could mean the scene was doctored before police arrived, the fact that there were marks on his arm and a nearby pocket knife implies he really was trying to kill himself.
And how horrid is it when suicide is considered the good option, compared to pulling a David Carradine.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Sad. Really sad.

But if he was tortured so, he's at peace now.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Look like chemistry killed him - his brain chemistry that drove him into a depression. I'm seeing on other forums a wish that this be the event that finally pulls treatment of mental illness into the mainstream. If clinical depression becomes "Robin Williams' disease" the way ALS became "Lou Gehrig's Disease", that just might happen. Horrid that it had to take something this drastic for the conversation to even begin, though.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

[img]http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10606015_748406191883906_6412522983515727238_n.jpg?oh=2aab6f64a014af0b55d738eea6844848&oe=548130FC&__gda__=1417759556_9eb28b60a7c7ade59def2573b134b0f1">
Quote:
Quote:From "Badass Digest": 
When Christopher Reeve was in the hospital, awaiting a back surgery that had a fifty/fifty chance of killing him, a man burst into his room. He was wearing surgical scrubs, talking in a Russian accent, and said he was there to give a rectal exam. It was Robin Williams; the two men had been roommates together at Juilliard. Later Reeve said of his life-long friend:
“For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.”
That's sort of what Robin Williams did for all of us.
Quote:
[Image: nroVek1l.jpg]
[Image: SngC3QQl.jpg]

Indeed.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Ah.  Logan, I must now quote Bangladesh DuPree:  "You have made me cry.  For this I will kill you."
Thanks.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Damn - thought we were done with this - but more news coming in - apparently Robin Williams was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease as well. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/r ... s-disease/

Considering how PHYSICAL most of Robin's work AND hobbies were - the comedy, the acting, video-games and other more athletic pastimes... 

It'd be tough for a person NOT in depression to handle the degradation of their ability to both express themselves and enjoy their lives. But both of those things in combination? 

I still wish he'd been able to ask for help. Others - like Michael J. Fox - would be able to relate and help with the Parkinson's aspect. 

But that's the problem - from everything I've been reading - both here and elsewhere in regards to depression and the personal foibles and sometimes dark places in the soul that make comedians what they are - especially Robin's own frenetic version - that may have been the one thing he was least capable of doing at the time he needed it most. 

I could definitely see him looking at the future - seeing what happened with others - thinking about himself and the things that made his own life bearable - and seeing them being taken away. And then coming to the conclusion that "checking out early" was the only thing that made sense to him. 

Cross-posted from the Eyrie forums, cause it's awesome.

http://www.viralnova.com/robin-williams-drawing/]Photorealistic time-lapse pencil drawing