Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone care to try out Transformers Universe Online?
Anyone care to try out Transformers Universe Online?
If you use this link to do it, it'll go towards getting me free stuff.

http://www.transformersuniverse.com/re ... 241de71b1e

I'm going to be honest, right now the game is still in Open Beta with weekly 70ish Mb downloads of the client to get the latest patch (the hot-patcher supposedly works, but is so much slower I just get the whole client download each time) and most of the focus is on PvP with only a single free roam map per faction and two co-op PvE maps shared between them, with a rota of "shoot the wandering enemies," ""heal the generic allies," and/or "collect the widgets" missions appearing with gaps of 5-20 seconds between one finishing and the next beginning on the free roam map. It's not intended to have a wide power progression like an RPG, though there are at least 50 experience levels to climb, but mostly what those do is give you one stat point and ten of the micotransaction currency (each worth half a US cent, with more characters to chose between ranging from 995-3995 currently, though there is also a 25% off sale on Decepticons right now because Autobot players outnumber them 60-40 right now - and yet, the matches ten 57-43 in favor of 'Cons, supposedly due to better teamwork and attracting more of the older players who think in terms of more complex tactics.)

That small edge is still significant when combined with a new player just getting used to how it plays, so my recommendation is to ignore the "Queue for PVP" box that pops up as soon as you get through the min-tutorial, pick a robot (if you don't just stick with the tut's tank) and deploy, instead going out into the free roam map, finding one of the big glowing portals that are in the one or two of the corners (directly ahead of you on Autobot map, diagonally for Deceps) and enter the Crisis map instead. It still says "Queue for PVP" but that is in fact the co-op game mode, where you face hordes of basic enemies, a few tank-types, a midboss and a boss, with no way to "lose" and death/respawn not mattering overall. This will level you up quickly for the first few - Lv5 within 2-3 hours as I recall - to get a few tuning points, a "power core" slot and selection of cores to put in it (minor passive enhancement, dropped as loot,) and most importantly give you a chance to get to know the special attacks and equipment of the available units, and get a good start to picking up the cheap-tier DPS or Tank unit if you want to, both of which are quite good on either side.

You get both an Autobot and Decepticon "commander" (IE your visible username) with a single login account, and each of those can initially pick from three characters each time you deploy form the hangar - my Decepticon is Bottlerocket, and Autobot is WaveConvoy though I will probably change it to something more original and not interCapped later. You may be able to have spaces in the commander name, at least I see people with them on the forums, which use the same two names depending on whether you hit the "play as Autobot" or "play as Decepticon" button at the top of the page.

Robots are designed along the WFC/Transformers Prime lines, which is a half-step between Bayformers and Classic style as best as I can put it.

I only play Crisis (the co-op mentioned above) and usually as a healer, and I'm having fun with it despite usually preferring a DPS focused play style. I will give two last pieces of advice though: If you want the healer to keep you alive, DON'T run around all over the map looking for trouble! The healers and tanks are the same speed and DPS units are usually faster, so he will never catch you and and experienced medic won't even try until you come to him, or at least stop running around like a turbo-chicken with a crashed logic processor. Second, the Terrocon Screamers are popcorn grunts while the bigger guys creep along menacingly with their big hammer, but kill the Screamers first anyway rather than getting focused on the damage sponges. Screamers are fast, have rockets, and like to run away from short-ranged stuff, while the heavies are dirt slow and only have melee attacks.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows