Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 13, Teaser #7
Chapter 13, Teaser #7
Linna settled into the lush, leather armchair and positionedherself so that she could watch the glass door to the employeelounge. At the moment the room was empty except for her, forwhich she was thankful. Most of her co-workers, seeing her therewith her cellphone to her ear, would let her have her privacy.Not all, though, and she had to keep an eye out for the few whowould barge in irregardless. She didn't want to risk anyoneoverhearing this conversation."Okay, Nene, we can talk now," she said into the cellphone afteractivating the scrambler. "What's up? Why aren't you at work?""I called in sick," the quiet voice all but whispered across thephone line. "I needed... I needed some time by myself."Concern creased Linna's forehead. "Are you okay? The Loon didn't hurt you worse than we initially thought, did he?""No, no!" Her denial was sharp and loud, in contrast to herearlier softness. "I just... needed to think.""About what he said?""Yeah. And some things Sylia said." Linna heard Nene draw a deep breath. "You think he's right, don't you?"Linna scratched her left temple just below her headband. "Yeah.Yeah, I do. And so do you, if you think about it.""How can you say that?" Nene shrieked across the connection."Was Sylvie a person or a thing?" Linna asked quietly. "Howabout Anri?""That's different!"Linna shook her head, even though it went unseen by Nene. "Notat all. They were people. You can't even deny it yourself. Butif *they* were more than machines, other boomers can be, too.It's simple -- *one* could be a fluke, but two means there couldbe more. A fluke that happens twice isn't a fluke. It's apattern.""Then you already thought the Loon was right.""Yeah, kinda. I've been thinking about this since Largo; theLoon just made it a little more immediate." She chuckled. "Dumbmachines just do *not* act like Largo did.""Then how..." Nene began."How can I keep doing... what we do?""Yeah." Complete confusion was evident in her tone."The same way a cop or a soldier does what he does." Linnapursed her lips for a moment and thought of how to phrase whatshe wanted to say next. "I've killed boomers to protect othersor defend myself. I'll certainly kill more in the future. But Idon't do so lightly. I remember each one I kill. And I honoreach life taken. I recognize the need, but I regret it at thesame time.""That's very... I thought you said you hadn't been religioussince you were a teenager," Nene said after a moment, withsomething that sounded like the beginnings of a smile in hervoice.Linna shrugged. "I haven't practiced *Shinto* since I was 15.Doesn't mean I'm not *spiritual*."Nene snorted. "You, spiritual? You're the most materialisticperson I know!""They're not necessarily incompatible, you know.""If you say so," Nene replied doubtfully.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Chapter 13, Teaser #7
I don't think 'irregardless' is a real word....
"You keep using that word. I do no think it means what you think it means..."
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
> I don't think 'irregardless' is a real word....
Yup.
Reading your text, I think "regardless" would be appropriate.
Cheers!
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Actually, it is, at least according to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary. Of course, in one of those crazy quirks of the English language, it is merely a synonym for "regardless", and is classified as "nonstandard".
I've done some minor editing on the passage, so I might as well change that anyway.
Thanks!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.