Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brooklyn Superhero Supplies
Brooklyn Superhero Supplies
So, apparently this shop really exists. They even have proper outfitting - including a wind-tunnel for caps, and tinker-tech for those so disposed. Almost worth the price of a return transpondian flight.

http://www.superherosupplies.com/

I think we've had a thread about it here before; I've certainly known about it for years. Hell, early in December we were considering putting it on the itinerary when my sister, her partner and her partner's daughter came up from Delaware and wanted to do New York City, although we ended up limiting ourselves to midtown Manhattan.

What it is is a fanciful storefront run by (and which helps fund) a creative arts program for kids -- Wikipedia article about the whole thing, store and all, here. (Oh, and great photos in that article of storefront signs listing the services provided.) It was inspired by 826 Valencia, a similar program in San Francisco which maintains a "Pirate supply store". There are a bunch of similar outfits all over the country -- according to Valencia's Wikipedia article,
Quote:There are now eight chapters that make up 826 National: 826NYC in Brooklyn, New York, features a superhero-themed supply store, and another at 826 Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan is home to a robot store. The 826 Seattle writing center in Seattle's Greenwood neighborhood is host to the Greenwood Space Travel Supply Company. The Boston writing center is home to the Greater Boston Bigfoot Research Institute. Additional 826 chapters are located in Los Angeles (826LA) and Chicago (826CHI). 826DC in Washington, DC officially opened in 2010; it was formerly the Capitol Letters Writing Center.
Oh, and Dartz?  They have a branch called "Fighting Words" in Dublin, run by Roddy Doyle (sadly, it has no storefront to go with the program).  And The Ministry of Stories in London, which is hidden behind "Hoxton Street Monster Supplies".

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's far cooler than what I thought for sure.... it'd literally just been linked to me as 'one of those novelty things' in an IRC channel.

I'm actually amazed also that this is the first I've heard of it over here, given that Fighting Words hass been established since 2009.