Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools of the trade...need some input
Tools of the trade...need some input
We just had a meeting with our civilian equivalent of a major general. Nice guy. He stated that one of the initiatives he's trying out is that to send Go Pro cameras and tablets to the offices for testing. Naturally, our office is not getting the the goodies. Nothing is stopping me from getting a Go Pro however and using it. The tablet will have to wait because I'd need a secure tablet wit the appropriate software to work with. A just plain out of the box tablet is not recommended.
I see 2 advantages in using a Go Pro on a helmet mount.:
1. I can take photos while doing measurements. A great convenience. there had been times when I feel I need an extra hand or two.
2. I can take photos of opportunity as it presents itself.
Which comes down to the requirements:
1. I need a telephoto capability for the Go Pro. There had been times I can't get close enough due to safety concerns and I need to read the data plate.
2. The lens assembly and camera had to small enough to fit in the waterproof case. Because I'll be encountering extreme physical conditions.
3. Low light - night capability be a plus. So of the places I've been a low light no light. Placing a go pro on a telescope mount and dropping it a confined space to see what's there is good.
4. Need for a live remote viewer.
The Go Pros out of the box don't have telephoto capability. Stock telephoto lenses are available, but are too big to fit in the casing. However I did find a company in Sparta Michigan called Ragecams that do custom mods. They can place a telephoto lens and still be inside the casing.
http://ragecams.com/shop/privacy.php
Ain't gonna be cheap, but it might be worth it. I can convince myself to go this route if it's for work.
Any further suggestions?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I don't know the specs of a Go Pro, so I can only ask questions.

How much data can the rig you're looking at hold? (not raw GB, but number of stills or minutes of movies) How long will it run on a single charge? Is that enough for a day's work, and can you recharge the rig and transfer the data before you need to use it again?

Low-light/no-light - is there a ring flash rig available?

Live remote viewer - I think that's what the tablet's for...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:robkelk wrote:
I don't know the specs of a Go Pro, so I can only ask questions.

How much data can the rig you're looking at hold? (not raw GB, but number of stills or minutes of movies) How long will it run on a single charge? Is that enough for a day's work, and can you recharge the rig and transfer the data before you need to use it again?

It depends on the inspections I'ved done. I normally take 3 photos for any hazards I come across, wide view, normal view and close up. I'ved done up to 100 photos at standard definition. Videos would normally be up to 2 minutes if I'm evaluating hazard(s) of an operation. Figure up to 10 such videos. The remote I'm thinking of stated it will last 4 hours, less in cold conditions. The WIFI connection will eat up the GO pro battery life so I'll need to bring a spare batter, charger. Swap it out before lunch.
Flash? - In a possibly explosive atmosphere? I may be crazy, but not suicidal!
Live-remote viewer - Again, I'd like to have my hands free. Having a tablet defeats the purpose. I've seen those tablets fail on the second day of an inspection because of the extreme conditions.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:I don't know the specs of a Go Pro, so I can only ask questions.

It depends on the inspections I'ved done. I normally take 3 photos for any hazards I come across, wide view, normal view and close up. I'ved done up to 100 photos at standard definition. Videos would normally be up to 2 minutes if I'm evaluating hazard(s) of an operation. Figure up to 10 such videos. The remote I'm thinking of stated it will last 4 hours, less in cold conditions. The WIFI connection will eat up the GO pro battery life so I'll need to bring a spare batter, charger. Swap it out before lunch.

Flash? - In a possibly explosive atmosphere? I may be crazy, but not suicidal!

Live-remote viewer - Again, I'd like to have my hands free. Having a tablet defeats the purpose. I've seen those tablets fail on the second day of an inspection because of the extreme conditions.

Yes, explosives and flashes don't mix well. I wonder whether there's a similar rig that stays on all the time - possibly an LED array.

If the conditions are so bad that a tablet fails quickly, you'll need a ruggedd display of some sort. You might want to check what if anything is available in the way of military-surplus rugged laptops (or buy one new, but that's pricey if you buy direct - Dell starts at $3500, and Panasonic refuses to quote on their website - but deals can be found elsewhere).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Tablet's gonna have to wait. I'll wait for that.  The Go Pro is definitely something Ill to look into.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Okay, I called up  Rage cams and talked to the CEO.  I told him what the specifications I wanted for the Go Pro. He told me that a true telephoto lens with a Go Pro would require a budget only a government agency like DOD or Homeland Security can do without blinking (even law enforcement would blink at the price). Now, he did tell me that a Gopro3 plus with the waterproof casing, 5.4 mm flat lens and installation cost would run $849.00. Figure that with helmet mount, battery charger monople mount, Removu P-1 with the Gopro LCD BacPac would go for about $1.2k . The P-1 is a new product and not due out for a few weeks.
Can I get away with just a stock Go Pro? Yes, but only if I am fine with it not being admissible as evidence in court. I just found out that fisheye POV photos are not admissible.
So... I'm saving up my mileage money until the P-1 hits the market. Give it by end of march at the earliest.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell