Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leonard Nimoy has died
Leonard Nimoy has died
Age 83, from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.  New York Times obituary here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

SadI was just going to post this myself.

Not exactly a surprise, given his age and all. But still.... Damn it... 
Gives Vulcan salute. 

You lived long and prospered, Mr. Nimoy. 

(And I actually can do that salute properly IRL) 

Quote:A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
— Leonard Nimoy (@TheRealNimoy) February 23, 2015

Farewell Nimoy, you shall be missed. I might just go watch some of the older Star Trek's now as a tribute to his well known role.

Reportedly Leonard Nimoy's last tweet: 

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

LLAP Of course is Live Long and Prosper. 
To the end, having reconciled and accepted his life and role as Mr. Spock, he thought of us, his fans. 

We Groked Spock.
Edit: Almost forgot Andrew "The Great" Paris has pulled his last act.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

... Great, the guy who did the Civ 4 tech voice overs died. That was some of the best parts of a good game.

*sigh* It was a good run, sir.

"Sir ... there is a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder."  That might just be my favorite distracting-the-guard line.
Quote:(And I actually can do that salute properly IRL) 
It shows how obsessively I practiced it in my teens that I can do it -- with either hand -- as easily as any other gesture.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Farewell, Leonard, you taught us all to respect Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, after a very long and prosperous life.

I left this tweet on behalf of All The Tropes:

http://twitter.com/ATTropes/status/571422182439456769

This has been percolating in my brain for a long time, as something for the "Non-crossovers that should be" thread. But... well, this is just another reminder that life is too short. So:

In a world...
One step removed from FenSpace.
Where an idiot movie-studio exec missed work one day and failed to block the creation of the greatest tourist attraction of the late 20th century.
Where said tourist attraction is about to be torn down due to age and "lack of interest" (nothing to do with soaring real-estate prices and greedy developers, oh no...)
A ragtag group of fen are about to pull off... THE GREAT STARSHIP HEIST.

"Technically, it's not a heist -- we bought it for scrap through a front company. Granted, we will probably get in trouble for not following the removal plan that the Vegas authorities signed off on, but..."
"They'll probably be more pissed about our "hazmat" handling without proper permits."
"Well, that won't be a problem -- it's gone."
"It's WHAT? Three tanker trucks' worth of Handwavium doesn't just vanish! We've been soaking every internal space of the ship that's off-limits to visitors for the past month -- oh. I guess that means it's working?"
"Won't know until it happens. But have you noticed how much more real the animatrons of the crew seem recently? I swear Spock spock'd an eyebrow at me this morning."

"--in a shocking development, the life-size model of the USS Etnerprise, the famous starship from the TV series Star Trek that has been a feature of downtown Las Vegas for the past two decades, has taken flight without warning. Authorities are urging people to stay in their homes--"

"--crowds, no mobs, of people lining the streets and rooftops and cheering -- you can see and hear them behind me -- as this enormous spaceship passes overhead. Despite the danger that this huge ship could fall into the city at any moment, people are--"

"FLY, BABY, FLYYYY!!!!"

"--Air National Guard units scrambled to intercept the, the giant flying model, reported that they were unable to do so as the flying tourist attraction outran them and left the atmosphere. Unconfirmed reports claim that the ANG actually fired on the vessel only to have their weapons miss or bounce off. FBI and DHS sources say that arrest warrants are being issued for--"

"Spock, why... am I... talking... like this?"
"You appear to be a victim of popular stereotyping, Captain."
"Bones?"
"Dammit, Jim, I'm an animatronic tourist attraction who think's he's a doctor, not a robotics engineer!"
"Scotty? Can... you do... something... about this?"
"Weel, I can try, Captain, but I cannae gaurantee anythin'. After all, I'm an engineer, not a speech therapist."
"Later. Mr Sulu?"
"'Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning' -- course laid in, Captain."
"Everyone's a... comedian. Very well... engage."

He enriched so many. May he do so in those realms beyond ours.

Live long and prosper.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

[Image: E18yblp.png]

Well . . . . .
Boldly Gone.

See you on the other side, space cowboy. Sad

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
[Image: E18yblp.png]

[Image: yl2uvxoskfvlilcdlvpm.jpg]  
Really brings it home.

Actually, this entire IO9 thread is worth reading -- they're collating so many of these tributes.  Be prepared to cry, though.

[Image: No%20Longer%20Absent%20Friends_zpsou6rzfab.jpg]
-----

Who of the original series regulars are left? Uhura, Chekov, Sulu and Kirk, I would think?

Yep. And Yeoman Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) as well.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Also Lieutenants Kyle (John Winston) and Leslie (Eddie Paskey).
-----