Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP, Terry Prachett
RIP, Terry Prachett
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156
The sun has set on the Discworld forever. Sad
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

He will be greatly missed.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein

Again... as with Nimoy, this was not unexpected. But it is still tragic. Rest in Peace. 

As he said in so many of his books, DEATH COMES FOR ALL MEN. At least he finished his latest book... (I think. It is being illustrated, so...)

EDIT:

"Death isn't cruel - merely terribly, terribly good at his job."
- Sourcery
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I wonder if he was expecting his death soon and arranged for those three tweets to announce it. If they weren't authorized, they would be in bad taste:
"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER."

"Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night."

"The End".

They HAD to be authorized. 
And it's one of the classiest exits of all time. 

What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?

That was a classy way to go.

Quote:And at the end of all stories Azrael, who knew the secret, thought:I REMEMBER WHEN ALL THIS WILL BE AGAIN.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I left this on behalf of All The Tropes

http://twitter.com/ATTropes/status/576114519446929408

And I just updated his article at ATT.

Helen's going to be heartbroken when we tell her tonight, if she didn't already hear of it at work. She's a huge Pratchett fan.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I have no words for this. I've never read the discworld series. Just haven't gotten around to it. Holy shit.

When he was knighted, he chose for his motto Noli Timere Messorem.

I hope that's how he faced death...

EDIT:
Not mine: http://rozk.livejournal.com/512305.html
--
Rob Kelk

Millennium Hand and Shrimp! We all knew it was coming, but we all hoped it wasn't soon. Well, that means Raising Steam is my last annual birthday present to myself -of that style- could always turn it into a hunt for true Unseen University editions of his books.

I'm also kicking myself for not getting some signed editions done, for each time he was down here I had to be elsewhere and my books were safely at home.

http://xkcd.com/1498/
--
Rob Kelk

Rod H Wrote:Millennium Hand and Shrimp! We all knew it was coming, but we all hoped it wasn't soon. Well, that means Raising Steam is my last annual birthday present to myself -of that style- could always turn it into a hunt for true Unseen University editions of his books.
There's one last Tiffany Aching story left at the printers... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd%27s_Crown
--
Rob Kelk

A few things found while browsing:[Image: Thank%20You%20Terry%20Pratchett_zpsuc5bm0tx.jpg]

[Image: Thanks%20for%20the%20Great%20Time_zpsxtnjqiqs.jpg]

[Image: The%20Last%20Handshake_zpsgyrrbihd.jpg]

[Image: Goodbye%20Pterry_zpsv952cb99.jpg]

[Image: Leaving%20Early_zps7q9ixvdm.jpg]

[Image: Walk%20the%20Desert%20Together_zpsflsprjgh.jpg]

[Image: No%20One%20is%20Actually%20Dead_zpsbftbdj60.jpg]

There's another I wanted to add, but it's HUGE (800 x 7510) and I'm not sure how to insert pictures in the Spoiler (+) form. 

Edit: Added one more picture and a link to the huge one on the artist's DeviantArt page.
-----

Posted this on my FB yesterday; it was the most appropriate piece I could come up with.

“Death is before me today:Like the recovery of a sick man,Like going forth into a garden after sickness.
Death is before me today:Like the odor of myrrh,Like sitting under a sail in a good wind.
Death is before me today:Like the course of a stream,Like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.
Death is before me today:Like the home that a man longs to see,After years spent as a captive.”

?
Neil Gaiman,

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

Courtesy of The Traitor, over at the EPU Forums:
Quote:Something I read somewhere else:-COME ALONG, SIR. IT'S TIME TO GO HOME.
The author shrugged his shoulders and followed the skeletal figure. "I made you, you know." He said conversationally.
Death
nodded. YOU DID. He said, rubbing his chin in a rueful gesture. I
SUPPOSE IT'S FITTING, IN A WAY. STILL, I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE THE
ENDING.
"Well, I suppose I can tell you," The author leaned
upward and whispered something into Death's... side of the head. One
thing that was odd about being a skull was that you had no ears to
whisper into.
Death nodded. THAT'S A GOOD ENDING.
The author shrugged his shoulders, and adjusted his hat as he started to fade. "It was a good story."
Requiet en Pachem, Sir Terry.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Retweeted earlier today...
Quote:“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
#gnuterrypratchett pic.twitter.com/7QuhN4mVGa
— Sergeant Dutch (@sergeantdutch) March 12, 2015
Well, looks like Yuku will take the text of a twitter embed but not directly the image...
And a Telegraph article on #gnuterrypratchett which started as a plan to make a perpetual thread on Reddit and has expanded from there...
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
His Motto
One thing that does impress me about this man - and I have to confess that I've not read any of his works - is the motto he took when he had his own personal coat of arms granted by the College of Arms back in 2010:
Noli Timere Messorem (Don't Fear The Reaper)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett#cite_note-The_College_of_Arms_September_2010-177][/url]
Class.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Quote:Pyeknu wrote:
One thing that does impress me about this man - and I have to confess that I've not read any of his works - is the motto he took when he had his own personal coat of arms granted by the College of Arms back in 2010:
Noli Timere Messorem (Don't Fear The Reaper)[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett#cite_note-The_College_of_Arms_September_2010-177][/url]
Class.
Well, it specifically refers to the fact that a fairly benevolent version of Death is a major character in several of the Discworld books, and makes at least a cameo in almost all of the others.  People used to write Pterry and tell him they were expecting to die soon, and they hoped the Death they met resembled his portrayal.  He mentioned finding that disturbing.
I can't urge too strongly that you read him.  He is funny, and has style, and he's funny, and wise, and he's funny -- the first time I read the scene of the Archchancellor taking a shower (in Hogfather), I was lying on a bed, and I literally almost rolled off the bed laughing at the line, "Ye gods, I've never felt so clean."  And then he can have scenes in the same book that make you feel like crying, and smiling through your tears....
-----