Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got to do something cool Wednesday!
I got to do something cool Wednesday!
First, let me begin:

I am what is known as a "weather weenie": That is, someone who loves weather.  In fact, I am currently majoring in meteorology in college.

So anyway, about a couple of weeks ago or so I found this article about a book coming out (What Stands in a Storm by Kim Cross) about the devastating tornado outbreak of April 27, 2011.  The article said that the author was going on a book tour and would be hosting a launch party in Birmingham, Alabama, on March 11.

After some talking with my dad, we decided to go down to that launch party and book signing.  Well, we drove down to Birmingham (staying overnight in one of the hotels there).

There, I got to meet not only the author (and have my copy signed), but I also got to meet some of the people who were featured in the book.  That was certainly an interesting experience.

I even got to meet James Spann, chief meteorologist of ABC 33/40 (Birmingham's ABC affiliate).  He's a very cool guy who runs the Alabama Weather Blog and hosts the long-running podcast WeatherBrains.  We got to talk some, and he was notably impressed about my knowledge of the storms that have ravaged Alabama at one point or another (he even signed my copy!).

At one point, I commented to Dad that I was "flying high," to which he responded, "Why do drugs when you can follow your passions?"

Now, how cool is that? Smile

Huh, I live in Birmingham. The weather is warm, but knda blah.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Tennie Wrote:...

At one point, I commented to Dad that I was "flying high," to which he responded, "Why do drugs when you can follow your passions?"

Now, how cool is that? [Image: banana-dance.gif]
Your father is a wise man ... and that is very cool.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heh. Sounds like a great time was had by all.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.