Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony gets rights to Robotech...
Sony gets rights to Robotech...
...screen rights, that is.  For a live-action movie.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/25/82923 ... -franchise
The producers and screenwriter are known for their work on 300.  Harmony Gold is apparently behind this....anybody expecting another Dragonball Evolution?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

What is this "Dragonball Evolution" you speak of? Next you'll be telling me there were more than two Star Wars movies...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I don't know Sony has gotten better about their content. I'll take a wait and see position.

And there were 3 Star Wars movies. I know ESB wasn't much more than filler but it still counts rob.

If they've stopped putting rootkits on their disks, then I suppose they've gotten better ... but I still won't buy Sony gear until they apologize for doing that in the first place.

(And ESB was the second - and final - SW movie.)
--
Rob Kelk

Two SW movies?  I always thought there were three and a quarter-ish.
...I'm not certain why Lucas decided to slap the Star Wars name on an unrelated side-story like The Phantom Menace, or why he took the few bits of the real Episode III he had finished and padded them out (badly) into two movies.  Maybe he was running out of money?  Whatever his reasons, I'm sure the prequel trilogy could've waited until he had, you know, an actual prequel trilogy to release.
As for Robotech... I could see it making a good live-action movie/series, if everything was done right.  That said, I get the feeling that this is just going to be another tone-deaf flop of an adaptation.  Let's look at the signs, shall we?-Big business grabbing for a new IP, expecting to make a profitable franchise out of it;-Writers and directors are Hollywood vets, known for mindless spring action flicks;-One of the producers is on record as basically saying 'We jumped for this one because we think it's got what it takes to be a blockbuster'.-It's Yet Another Hollywood Reboot.
A good Robotech movie would have to be more like Pacific Rim.  Unfortunately, I'm getting the feeling it'll be more like Transformers.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I just hope they don't try to give it the same treatment they gave 300.

What they did for 300 works for that... and that alone. People are gonna be going into movie theaters with expectations, and they had better be met. The VF-1 Valkyrie is a transformable F-14 Eagle with ruddervators. If they try and make this into some weird futuristic take on an F-22, I swear I will walk right out on this.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
I just hope they don't try to give it the same treatment they gave 300.

What they did for 300 works for that... and that alone. People are gonna be going into movie theaters with expectations, and they had better be met. The VF-1 Valkyrie is a transformable F-14 Tomcat with ruddervators. If they try and make this into some weird futuristic take on an F-22, I swear I will walk right out on this.
Fixed that for you.
And if I recall, a transformable F-22 was already shown on screen in a movie, so I would like to doubt Sony wants to go that route.
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles

BYapes Wrote:
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:I just hope they don't try to give it the same treatment they gave 300.

What they did for 300 works for that... and that alone. People are gonna be going into movie theaters with expectations, and they had better be met. The VF-1 Valkyrie is a transformable F-15 Eagle with ruddervators. If they try and make this into some weird futuristic take on an F-22, I swear I will walk right out on this.
Fixed that for you.
Fixed that fix for you.
--
Rob Kelk

Nope, BYapes is right, we both screwed up, Rob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_ ... F-15_Eagle

Hmm... well, a first/onesie movie would probably just cover the Macross part, so as long as they don't go all Bayformer nudist robots I'll probably be able to dig it. Much will hinge on the quality of the effects, and whether they get a decent singer to play Minmei.

Quality of the toys will also be an important factor, but most likely it'll just be a US release of some of the existing Bandai line, so that should be covered.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
RE: Sony gets rights to Robotech...
(puts thread in ventilator chamber, blows dust off thread for five minutes, lets dust evacuate to the outside)

In case anybody's wondering why nothing ever came of this... well, the rights were a sublicense from Harmony Gold, and their agreement was set to expire in March 2021. why make a film that you can't release for long enough to make your money back on it?

But that deadline has been pushed back - the current agreement (you know, the one that makes it difficult if not impossible to get Macross sequels anywhere outside of Japan) has been extended "well into the future", according to Den of Geek.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Sony gets rights to Robotech...
Fucking Funimation?

Well, that does it then. We're never gonna see any Macross, because I guarantee you that Funi is never going to want to cross the streams because hardly anyone knows what Macross is, but everyone knows about Robotech.

Fucking figures.