Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Herb Trimpe
RIP Herb Trimpe
This is late news. But it sort of slipped under my radar. 
Trimpe is notable for a lot of work in the 70s on the Hulk and is the first guy to draw Wolverine (in the same book). 

Quote:Trimpe is best known to fans for his work on The Incredible Hulk, a series he drew from 1968 to 1975. It was during that run that he drew the first appearance of Wolverine (in Hulk #180), who would later go on to become one of the company's cornerstone characters thanks to his appearances in the successful X-Menfamily of titles.
In a statement, Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso said, "To me, no artist is as synonymous with the Incredible Hulk as Herb Trimpe, who gave the Jade Giant a sense of pathos and scale that set the bar for every artist that followed him. Like a Hulk-punch, Trimpe's art truly exploded off the page. Comics lost a giant."
Trimpe went on to work on a number of different titles for Marvel, including the first issue of its licensed G.I. Joe, the majority of the company's Godzilla and Shogun Warriors series. He also had runs on Iron ManAnt-Manand Captain Britain, for which he co-created the character of Elizabeth Braddock, who'll be played by Olivia Munn in next year's X-Men: Apocalypse.

I personally remember him more for the Godzilla art. His rendition of the fight between the big G and Red Ronin in the early issues of the book was simply incredible. 

He was yet another artist that Marvel shat upon in the 90s unfortunately. I really do recommend reading the linked article. It really is an interesting window on that time. 
Quote:Trimpe was fired by Marvel in the 1990s, something he wrote about for The New York Times... He returned to higher education, gaining a BA in art and eventually moving on to teaching at a local school in New York state, but he kept a foot in the comic book business, working on covers for a number of publishers, and even returning to Marvel for a 2008 Hulk story.