Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars 7 - New Trailer.
Star Wars 7 - New Trailer.

Yeah. We're home.

mmmmmmmmmmyeah.

Well, it doesn't make the outlook as bad as the first trailer, but I'm still not filled with optimism, and all the original objections to the crossguard lightsaber still stand. I'm kind of interested in the apparent droid we see peekig out around a corner about 1:30 - it's moving much more fluidly than droids are usually depicted, and has the styling of something for the astromech family, which aren't usually that agile unless it's a repulsorlift model (like a non-evil version of the torture droid from ANH) or something along those lines.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Aldo...did anyone else notice how Luke referred to his father in the present, not past tense?

Eh, I think that was just a matter of more closely calling back the RoTJ line, given that he died and was cremated on camera. Force Ghosts are a thing, though.

BB-8 existing as a physical prop just makes me more interested in it, though - my current best guess would be that the head and body are held together while letting the body roll around by the stronger sort of magnets, probably with separate radio receivers for the puppeteer controls in each. It could be done with just a single receiver and a more involved magnet arrangement in the body section, but having two would let them control the various lights and so on in the head as well as which way it turns. The motion of the whole unit was overall very smooth, too, none of the wobbling or rocking in place of the traditional monowheel type design - probably a matter of an automated motion control system to counter those out. I wonder igf they included an actual droid's-eye-view onboard camera, or just drive it by watching from out of frame?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

http://www.pvponline.com/comic/2015/04/ ... ce-awakens
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Given the somewhat melted, but still present helmet in the trailer, I doubt the "cremated" bit; further, a funeral pyre usually leaves bones largely intact, and I really would hate to think Vader's skull is still rattling around in there. Smile

That's true, but I don't know another word for "burned on a funeral pyre" even if "cremated" actually refers to using a furnace to reach temperatures high enough to dispose of the bones as well. (There'd be a bunch of cybernetecs clanking around as well, I suppose, at least the frames even if the finer wires and electronics were destroyed.) My point still stands, we had a body on camera and the body was destroyed on camera, then saw adult-Anakin as a force ghost on camera. Given that, future appearances as anything but a Force-ghost or flashback seem unlikely.
--

You have to remember though, they aren't cremating a body so much as their robes. Yoda's death in RotJ shows us that the body just disappears leaving the clothes behind.

for that matter, look at Obi-wan's death.  Vader swings and poof nothing but cloth. 

On the one hand, Yoda, Obi-wan, Vader and the Emperor are the only Force-sensitive deaths in the original trilogy (which I know some people use as their only canon). Vader's funeral pyre could have been just the electronics/prosthetics left behind.

On the other, Qui-gon dies in Ep one and leaves a body for a pyre. I don't recall the massacre of the Jedi being on screen (seen Ep 3 once, in theaters), but I would think if all Jedi poof when they die, some of them could/would have been shown as disappearing. Vader's reaction to Obi-wan's death struck me as confusion - rooting around in the robes as if looking for something. Not a reaction I would have expected given the number of Jedi he has killed in the past if all Jedi disappear. My conclusion to resolve these facts was that it was something deliberate Obi-wan and Yoda did to disappear, even if prep time was very short. Although this doesn't explain the Anakin force ghost at the end. I admit it is also possible the early books of the extended universe could have influenced me as well.

I can confirm, Yoda and Obi-Wan had special training that allowed them to do that. The start of said training is shown in the last arc of season six of The Clone Wars.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.