Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Eureka moment
A Eureka moment
I was trying to figure out how to sample for 2 chemicals, isopropyl alcohol and toluene for an inspection I'm conducting. The simplest way is to use 2 air pumps pulling air into 2 charcoal tubes, but employees are not happy wearing 2 pumps most of the time. Plus I'd have to set the air flow to the lowest setting. Not a good idea. The better option is to use a twin port sampler, but the new ones I'ved had always cause the air pump to stall out once I place a charcoal tube into one of the ports, even if I turned the flow screw all the way out on one port before I insert the tube. I've followed the instructions and people I'ved asked couldn't give me a clear answer. I was examine the sampler when I decided, why not turn both flow screws open? Tried it and Eureka! It worked! It's one of those moments.
Of course now I got to figure out how to determine the lower explosive limit of a IPA/Toluene mixture combined with N2, O2, CO2 mixture (read air). There must be a computer program somewhere..*grumble*
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Perhaps http://www.rkiinstruments.com/pages/faq ... EL_UEL.htm may be of some use?

Isopropanol has a 2.0-12.7% range and Toluene has a 1.2-7.0% range.

(Unsourced information provided as a courtesy without warranty, etc.)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI