Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sasquan (WorldCon 2015)
Sasquan (WorldCon 2015)
So, I just landed in Spokane yesterday for Worldcon.  Then find out I'm half a week early.  Oops...
Nah, I did this deliberately.  I *needed* a decent vacation, and "padding" my Worldcon trip gave me an excuse to play random-tourist on a whole new city.  So... anyone know what's good to do in Spokane?  Or around, I've got a rental car with unlimited miles.

No fraggin' clue, boss. Whiel western Washington is practically a continuous swath of rainforest, eastern Washington is practically a desert.

Yeah, I noticed that. Caught me by surprise, my only previous experience with WA being a brief pass through Seattle (with no time to play tourist, alas). But then I realize that the mountains are between Spokane and the Pacific, and things make much more sense.

Two mountain ranges. The Olympics push the moist oceanic breezes up to where the water condenses and comes down as rain, and then the Cascades finish the job of wringing it all out. Additionally, nothing but farms as far as the eye can see.

Anyhow, your best bet right now is to check the Wikipedia article on the city (I just looked at it myself - it's fairly extensive) and decide where to go from there.

20,000+ acre wildfire west of the city, blanketing the city in smoke. The convention center has signs warning people to stay inside. Sad

At least the skies cleared today, even if the winds we have to thank for that combined the three worst fires into one huge bastard.

I'm on the opposite side of the planet and it feels like I'm home.