Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume 3

New Episode: http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... ns-learned
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Grimm Eclipse is up on Early Access!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418340

Well, that was nothing two Schnees at.
-- ∇×V

Goddammit Barb... er, Vort.

Hey, at least vorticity knows that pun was nothing to Qrow over.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Episode five... oh, dear god, Neon Katt. It took me half an hour before I twigged.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I like many of the commentors, is so wanting the full versions of jazz remixes used in that episode. Oh, and Neon Katt, I first thought Rainbow Dash, then I found a relevant redubded clip which brought me to where Bob got. But, what if it's a combo reference.

Quote:Rod H wrote:
I like many of the commentors, is so wanting the full versions of jazz remixes used in that episode. Oh, and Neon Katt, I first thought Rainbow Dash, then I found a relevant redubded clip which brought me to where Bob got. But, what if it's a combo reference.
No, RT's main twitter pretty much made it clear it's all out Nyan Cat.

And I've been starting to wonder if Ciel Soleil (Penny's handler/partner, French for "Sky Sun") is intended in part to be some kind of inverse reflection/shadow version of Usagi Tsukino...

Oh, and "Penny" is an acronym? I wonder what it stands for. "Polendina's Electronic..." seems like a good start.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

... I just found out that Qrow is voiced by Vic Mignogna. I mean, what?

It isn't as if that's the only non-anime voice work he's ever done...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=2516
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Episode 6 is up for all. World-building, plot progression, an alright fight... and a bit I'm really not happy with. Livestream with the creators next week, followed by a world of Remnant, and ep 7 in the new year.

...huh. So... now Remnant has their own version of the Illuminati? And WTF was that at the end of the match? Some sort of illusion, had to be. And the way the Grimm suddenly looked in the stadium's direction was a definite uh-oh moment.

Yeah, Vale's not in a happy place at this point. There are other boards where the implications are dissected, but I want to get this down while I can.

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-se ... mit-system
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Just watched the latest chapter on Crunchyroll.

I want to hurt Cinder, Emerald and Mercury. Badly. Then again, it's a sign that the writers are doing a good job of making us dislike them--while still understanding them.

--DocMui

Yeah, the sooner the villains get off their victory run the better. Don't get me wrong, I think they've done a brilliant job in making them good villains, but they've been a bit too untouchable and invincible, with a few too many cases of 'this action by the heroes will fit into my plans perfectly!' over the past two and a half years. Time for the heroes to demonstrate why they're better than them in every way.

And I'm confident that'll happen. Miles managed that brilliantly with the Space Pirates in the Red Vs Blues Chorus trilogy, and I'm sure it'll happen again here. I think it's about time for it to start though.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Yeah, the sooner the villains get off their victory run the better. Don't get me wrong, I think they've done a brilliant job in making them good villains, but they've been a bit too untouchable and invincible, with a few too many cases of 'this action by the heroes will fit into my plans perfectly!' over the past two and a half years. Time for the heroes to demonstrate why they're better than them in every way.

And I'm confident that'll happen. Miles managed that brilliantly with the Space Pirates in the Red Vs Blues Chorus trilogy, and I'm sure it'll happen again here. I think it's about time for it to start though.
... And it's not today's episode, that's for damn sure. Warning, wham Episode ahead, above and beyond episode 6.

Just binged the last 3 episodes.  The flashback ep almost managed to make me kind of like Emerald and Mercury a bit... but that didn't last long.  I'll note Ember just manages to keep climbing higher and higher on the bullet-to-the-head list with every episode....
"Please do nothing to the cook."  Heh.

Jaune says exactly the right thing... at exactly the wrong time.

...holy crap, Ozpin gets mad.  When the perpetually-understated character actually snarls... I'm not sure if I want to look forward to the eventual, inevitable Ozpin-cuts-loose moment with dread, or antici...PATION.

I have to say, the villains' current running of the board all over is not unearned -- they're not simply curb-stomping the good guys, they're winning (so far) because they located every weak point and vulnerable crack in the Illuminati's armor... and hit them all hard and fast.  The good guys are being attacked on vectors they can't even see yet.  Team Ember combines excellent intel on their opponents with superb opsec and a total lack of counter-intel from the other side.

volume 3 episode six is the last one i've seen because i've watched whats been released to youtube, i take it there is another episode out now?

Episode 9 came out on the website for non-sponsers today.

I'm going to have to disagree on Cinder and co winning just by outmanuvering the heroes and being smarter than them. For me, this volume has all too often felt like 'and now the bad guys win just because.' One of the most awesome things about Volume 2 was that the heroes, both RWBY and the adults, were actually proactive. Even when they didn't completely foil Cinders plans, they at least did some damage or gained some intel. This time around, Cinder's been in complete control. Team RWBY didn't even suspect anything was going on until the end of episode 8, while the adults actions have been limited to the Maiden plan, which has achieved nothing besides breaking Pryhha. And the fact that, even after potentially several months in-universe, they still haven't realised Cinder's walking around in plan sight at the school, or that the mysterious computer program of unexplained origin (Seriousy, that needs a damn explanation) has managed to so utterly subvert the computer systems of the most advanced military on the planet, makes several characters, especially Ironwood and his people, look hilariously incompetant.

And then there was this ep. The cliffhanger was something of a hope spot. After all the utter horseshit Cinder's pulled this season, Ruby saw Mercurys true face (Namely, a smug, murderous, horrible asshole) and started to put the pieces together. It was clear that she wasn't going to be in time to stop Cinder's plan from kicking off, but maybe, just maybe, she could achieve some small victory. Expose Mercury, save Penny, ANYTHING. Instead, she achieved nothing. In the end, Mercury didn't even bother killing her, clearly enjoying watching her suffer. Everything falls apart, Ironwood fails yet again, Neo manages to hijack an entire ship because they're just that hopeless... It was a well done ep, well animated, well written, well acted, and yet, right now, I just can't bring myself to give a damn. We've had an entire season of the heroes being played like complete idiots. Let them be awesome again already.

Yeah, after reading this I'm putting myself on a moratorium on watching RWBY any more until things turn around. Life for me has been shitty enough lately without BWA-HA-HA-BAD-GUYS-WIN stories to make me feel even worse.

It's no different to me than the usual plot arc of an anime.

1: The Heroes and Villains are introduced. The Villains pull something off, then the Heroes show up to fight them.
2: The Heroes enjoy a string of successes while training and growing stronger.

3: The Villains pull in a stronger Mid-Boss who gives the Heroes some trouble.
4: The Villains' true plan is revealed and the Heroes have to scramble to stop them. All seems lost.
5: The Heroes pull a victory from the jaws of defeat out of pluck, determination, camaraderie, and willingness to trust one another that the Villains lack.

This is the general arc of Every Anime Ever Made.

RWBY looks to be hitting stride in step 3 and pushing into Step 4.

(Compare to Sailor Moon's arc, for example. 1-2 is Jadeite's arc, 2-3 is Nephrite's, 4 is the scramble for the Rainbow Crystals, and 5 is the assault on D-Point.)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Some trouble. SOME. This season, all the heroes have achieved precisely nothing in regards to stopping Cinder, and the moments that seemed like they'd achieve at least a little before step 4 were fakeouts. That's my main problem, especially after volume 2 had the heroes being so wonderfully proactive. And it wasn't some new mid-boss, or change to their plans, that made the bad guys so dangerous. It was that apparently, all the bad guys are so incredible and amazingly talented that they can pull it all off without even trying. On top of that, Cinder's main reason for success depends on a piece of bullshit we still have no explanation for. Where in the hell did she get a computer program that can infiltrate and take over some of the most advanced technology on the planet, when the method of introducing said program into the system was essentially yelling 'hey, I've done something suspicious to your computers!' into Ironwoods ear. They keep having the guy make the wrong decisions, but he's not an idiot. But that's how it feels like he's being presented to us.

*Sigh* This season has been brilliantly animated, acted, the writing is great. It's simply my personal taste that's making me dislike it. As far as I'm concerned, too much of the early season was a waste of time to tell us how awesome Cinder and her merry band of smug, arrogant, murdering shitheads are, which ep 7 did better anyway without making the heroes look like complete idiots. I never enjoy this part of the story anyway, and it's taken too long to get here, and been done in a way I can't enjoy. I just want them to get on with it, and try to end the season with RWBY and co having achieved SOMETHING.

In rough outline it's no different from Sailor Moon, but in execution, a completely different animal.
BSSM uses slice of life extensively to characterize its heroes and villains, and to provide the light to contrast the darkness.  So, so well on the second point.  But I can't remember the last time our team RWBY or JNPR even went in a classroom.
BSSM reveals the MacGuffin in Act 1, which is where it belongs.  The four mikos thing in RWBY came out of left field in early Act 3, and I'm still sort of doing a "so kind of like Star Driver, but without the mecha" to explain it to myself.   I would have expected Dust to be the MacGuffin in some way, but it obviously didn't happen.  But the current plot is to me so jarring that it seems like they just had to come up with an idea because Monty never told anyone what was coming next.
And, in all this time, I really don't feel like the I understand motivations of the villain group.  The backstory episode was kind of a failure on that count, even compared to a very similar backstory episode in Kill la Kill.  I mean, that's a pretty low bar.  And if we're mid-Act 3, like ECSNorway is suggesting, then this is way too late to set up the proper dramatic tension.
So yeah, it might look almost like standard anime plots, but there are structural deficiencies underneath that make this a bit weaker of a show.  They give medals for almost: they're called silver.
It's still well acted and animated, and the storyline that does exist is well-written.  Personally, because the fight scenes are less interesting than character development, the long string of losses by the protagonists have made this season not very enjoyable to me.  Eucatastrophe is starting to look like the only hope left for the protagonists, and well, I'm starting to wonder if Vale is actually going to fall.  It could make for a very interesting season 4.
-- ∇×V