Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume 3

The thing is, while I understand its been a steady downward spiral of mood and genre change from the very first trailer, it just seems that this season hit us with a depth charge that dropped us a bit far. I probably wouldn't have any real problem had all the 'Antagonist wins everything' that occurred in this season happened over two or even three seasons, with more fleshing out of the new concepts and characters that were just "HERE: This has always been in Remnant, we just didn't let you know until right before is was IMPORTANT."

Having watched season 3 now, I'm still going to watch 4 after its finished. I just wish we had gotten things a bit more spread out than just shoved in our faces.

It doesn't help that it honestly felt like the bad guys won, and won almost completely, not because they're good at it, but because Ozpin and co were idiots. I dislike it when characters that are supposed to be competent turn into walking idiot balls.

Note: This may be a bit rant-y

It wasn’t that the good guys were handed idiot balls. There were actually on the back foot the entire time.

The only reason they knew there was a plot going on was the fact Qrow interrupted the power stealing on Amber.

What if he hadn’t been there?

The Maiden Protectors (MPs from now on), would likely never have known the Autumn Maiden was gone. Let alone that she was dead and the powers stolen, not transferred in the way they knew happened.

This implies that the whole plan we see in Vol 3 was Salem’s, not Cinder’s.

That makes more sense to me, as Salem and Ozpin obviously have a history. Salem would pull the ‘fear/horror/hate/anger’ generating plan, and would have the personal knowledge to side-step Ozpin (plus likely the time to refine it). It’s very much a ‘I will destroy all that is yours and that you love in front of your eyes to show you my victory before I finally end you’ Sort of plan.

She probably wanted Cinder to take the Autumn Maiden’s powers and do to Ozpin what she did to Pyrra; destroying Ozpin’s works, his reputation, and then vanishing him so he couldn’t repair it and gradually be forgotten.

When Qrow interfered, Cinder tweaked the Vale portion of the plan to get the rest of the Autumn Maiden’s powers. This helped the original plan along as the MPs weren’t expecting it. They were looking for the power thief, not someone trying to end the world.

Meanwhile, the MPs had only realised they even had an enemy when Qrow interfered. Suddenly they have a Maiden in a position they’ve never encountered, meaning someone out there they didn’t know of knew more about the Maidens powers than the MPs did. They had to scramble to find out who the enemy was, how to deny them the rest of the Autumn Maiden’s powers, AND keep it a secret from the general population of Remnant.

It would be very hard to fight against a secret organisation that a) you only just found out about, and b) knows a lot about YOUR secret organisation.

As an aside: How did each side know where Amber was?

The MPs probably have some sort of communication schedule to keep an eye on the Maidens. They obviously don’t have a way to actively sense someone with Maiden powers as they would have used it to track down Cinder (unless the power being halved made it undetectable), which is why they’ve studied the rules of the power’s transfer.

The Bad Guys either have access to those records (bad, to worse if there’s a traitor), or given there are bug sized Grimm and Cinder has a rapport with Grimm…

drogan niteflier Wrote:... I probably wouldn't have any real problem had all the 'Antagonist wins everything' that occurred in this season happened over two or even three seasons, with more fleshing out of the new concepts and characters that were just "HERE: This has always been in Remnant, we just didn't let you know until right before is was IMPORTANT."
So, somebody gets to start a "Web Animation" section on this page? (Please remember to give examples, not just say it's a thing.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

In the end, I was bored with the main plot for this volume. One sided curb stomps, in either direction, don't appeal to me at all. It just makes characters look like useless idiots. And unlike the walking eternally smirking contemptible shitbags that make up most of the bad guys in this show, I liked Ozpin and co. (Well, except for Qrow, but that's another matter). Watching them flail around uselessly, their greatest achievement in the volume being Operation: Torture Pyrrha, wasn't fun. It wasn't even interesting. It was predictable, depressing, and boring. By the time Torchwick managed to completely hijack the Atlas military with the superduper evil computer virus we still don't have a goddamn explanation for, I knew that not a single adult hero in this show would achieve anything.

And in the end, the 'school of superheroes' setting I was interested in is gone, replaced by 'kids have to clean up after the adults failures'. Kinda meh.

Also, while well written, brilliantly acted, and generally well done, the entire Yang plotline from Neo onwards can kindly go jump in a woodchipper.
EDIT: The noodle stand and Winter and Weiss' interactions are some of my favourite scenes in the show, end of story.

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
We just finished the last three eps in one go tonight. I'm not happy with where things are, but I'm not supposed to be, and I'm kind of disgusted at everyone who's going "Well, damn, it's no longer a happy-go-lucky circus of awesome curbstomps. I'm gonna stop watching."

Dammit, people. We're at the part of the story where, were this a book, the heroes would just be discovering that the bad guys are out there and are a real threat. It's necessary at this point for the good guys to get kicked in the balls, hard and multiple times -- it sets them up to take things seriously and fight their way to the end to triumph against great odds. Everyone going "dafuq? I'm qutting this" -- it's like getting to the end of Fellowship of the Ring and deciding that because the heroes aren't going to tromp merrily together to Mount Doom unopposed by anything they can't kill with a sneeze that the rest of the story is going to suck.
Bob, I'm not quitting on the show.  I'm just taking a break until things in the show get better.  Right now, my depression is such that I cannot really afford to watch something that's gonna play with my emotions like this.  And from some of the spoilers I've seen in this thread, I think that was a good idea for me.
Quote:By comparison, if RWBY were a twelve episode run, this is taking place at about episode 8.
How do you get this? Monty Oum's plans for RWBY were laid out for ten seasons, as I recall. By that measure, this would be "third episode" territory, not eighth.
I stand corrected -- I'm watching someone's recording of the RWBY finale Livestream on YouTube right now, and Lindsay Jones has just mentioned that Monty had twentyseasons of RWBY plotted out.  He told/showed her because he wanted to know if she'd be willing to play Ruby all the way up to an adult.
TWENTY!?  Holy shit, and we're hitting territory that's this dark already?  Dunno if I can handle it...

So, let's talk Torchwick. The man who started out as a one-shot appearance, and stole the show with even the creators before the first episode even aired. Who had a rule 63 cosplay so awesome Monty made it into a second character for the show. He came to a bad end recently, and his character arc is fascinating. When we first saw him, he was a thief. One with style and connections, but just a thief. For whatever reason, he was the one Cinder recruited to handle things in Vale. And she told him quite a lot of things. This volume showed that he knew about the computer virus, for example, and he was the one handling the White Fang for her in Volume 2, despite the fact that she'd gotten someone like Adam on her side. Although, to be fair, Torchwick had much better people skills than Adam. Then again, an iced up drug addict with a knife has better people skills then the Abuser, so that's not really a fair comparison...

The part that really fascinated me is that, while he's always been willing to use lethal force if it was necessary, he never started there. Take the start of Volume 2, when Emerald and Mercury satisfied their murder fetish on Tuskon. Torchwick had been taking the time to carefully isolate him, and render him harmless, despite the fact that Tuskon clearly knew just who Cinders little pet psychos were. Killing him might have plugged the leak instantly, but Roman didn't take that option. He was careful, he took the lethal option only if he had to. Likely not out of respect for human life, but because he knew all to well that escalating things that far is crossing a dangerous line. But then, he turns around and launches a large scale terrorist attack on Vale that could have had a death toll in the thousands, had RWBY not messed up the launch stages. From thief and crime boss, to terrorist mass murderer. That's one hell of an escalation.

In his final appearance, Ruby asked him what he'd get out of the destruction of an entire kingdom. Which is a fair question, and shows that at least she understands people like Torchwick usually run on greed. His answer showed that this time, his motive was fear of what Cinder would do to him. This had been hinted at on other occasions, such as when he interacted with Cinder at the start of Volume 2. And in the end, it shows him as... well, rather pathetic, when you think about it. For all his ego and showmanship, he was a coward that was willing to play a major part in a terror attack that is quite literally world changing. If Ruby hadn't taken down that airship, it was very possible that Vale would have fallen and no one would have escaped alive.

There was no future for him after that, and he knew it. Which is what REALLY pissed him off regarding Ruby, I think. Her world was ending, her loved ones were in danger. No one would have thought any less of her if she'd turned and ran. And instead, after all his claims to her about how the world worked, she stood back up and opposed him. Her very presence was a reminder that he was a coward, a murderer, and the puppet of a crazy bitch. He got angry, he started ranting, and he was radiating negative emotions while surrounded by the Grimm he'd helped to bring into Vale. Is it any wonder they ate him mid-rant?

And in the end, after all his crimes, he goes forgotten in-universe. The moment after he's killed, even Ruby has more important things to worry about. The only person that might still care about him is Neo, and I'm curious to see if she blames Ruby, or Cinder.

Anyone know where I can find PNG format portrait style images of the members of Team RWBY and JNPR?

I need them to just have the characters and nothing else, in PNG because it has a transparency layer (I plan to use them as portrait art for their cameos in my RPG Maker project).

I'm not picky about whether someone draws it, it comes from Deviant Art, or, ideally, is cropped from official art, it just need to be something I can use noncommercially and I just need to know who to credit. I'll resize it myself, so size is not an issue.

Also, on the series, yeah, it started out cliche, and now it's finally getting good.

Gonna miss Torchwick though, he was a nice source of comic relief and despite being a coward underneath it all he was pretty competent in a fight anyway, but yeah, makes sense that he was a pragmatic villain forced in omnicidal villainy, was never comfortable with that, and he finally broke down when he had to face how spineless he had been to not escape his own fate.

He also came off more into crime for profit than for kicks from the get go, so it was foreshadowed quite a bit.

GethN7 Wrote:Anyone know where I can find PNG format portrait style images of the members of Team RWBY and JNPR?
Low-probability-of-success suggestion: Maybe ask Rooster Teeth to render some for you?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

They might be too small, but the character pages on the RWBY Wikia (http://rwby.wikia.com) generally have nice portrait shots.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
It was inevitable...
Hitler reacts to Pyrrha's death.

If only the person who made it could spell...
-- Bob
---------

I so hope everybody saying RT don't do April Fools because they were founded April 1st is true, cause I sooo want this to be true...

It might be worth it

Rooster Teeth has never done April Fools. Ever. It's legit. Apparently, there will be a sneak peek at the RWBY Volume 1 cinema screening later this month.

Joy, yet another reason to go see the theatrical release. I suppose that means that I should check Tugg as when I first found out about it the closest selected cinema to me, only had 5 people confirmed as going and I don't want to head into the CBD for the one that's guaranteed. That'd mean knocking off work, two hours before hand just because of travel.

Edit: http://www.tugg.com/events/95077

I'd never heard of Tugg -- and missed any announcement of these showings on the RT site. Peg and I are now signed up for a showing at a theatre five minutes away -- and hoping for 24 more people.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, they did an announcement at http://teamrwby.com/ that I've no clue on where else they linked it to. As for Tugg, I first heard of the service after the producers of Housos used it for a limited theatrical release for some of their movies, which made some local press.

And yay! The showing by us made its threshold and is a go!
-- Bob
---------

a fellow by the name Industrious over on Spacebattles had been doing a "In Which I Watch" of RWBYstarting right from he start (he hadn't seen  it previously and a secondary thread was created so that people could discuss upcoming events without Spoiling him).  He came up with several amusing nicknames for characters.
Ozpin became Beat Poet Dumbledore (BPD for short)Goodwitch was Kinky McGonagal (often shortened to Kinky)Ruby became Red (natch)Yang he called Buffy (the Vampire Slayer)Nora got tagged Thor even before he found out about the meta sources for Team JNPRJaune became Helpless Anime Protagonist early on (HAP for short)Pyrrha was tagged Amazon (and Doomed Girl in vol 3 cause several posters were nowhere near as subtle/cunning in their comments as they thought they were)Qrow was Danteoh, and he declared Ozpin's secret team, The Order of the Pheonix pretty much right away.
Torchwick became Alex DelargeRight from the Black Trailer, Adam was christened McTryhard Van Immasoedgyand Emerald was immediately tagged as Slutty Tomb Raider (STR) as soon as she became visible.
Anyways, after he'd gotten caught up and people started pondering the next volume, my brain slapped together a couple of silly scenes:*******Ruby shows up in Atlas, tracking down Weiss, while wearing a cheap suit.
RR: "Hi, Weiss." *waves*
WS: "RUBY?!? You're okay! What are you doing here?"
RR: "I'm putting the band back together."********Jaune: "It's 106 miles to Haven, we have a full tank of dust, half a carton of milk, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
Ruby: "Hit it."

I gotta read that -- and read it to Peggy.
-- Bob
---------

I gotta read that -- and read it to Peggy.
Here's the threadhttp://forums.spacebattles.com/threads ... rs.379343/
and the related spoiler filled threadhttp://forums.spacebattles.com/threads ... by.379355/
EtA: I also used your 'end of Vol3 = end of Fellowship of the Ring' analogy after he finished all the eps.  I didn't specify who/where I got it from but I did state I didn't come up with it myself.

Thanks, Timote!
-- Bob
---------

And now some RWBY AMVs, courtesy of said thread.

-- Bob
---------

I was looking at RWBY AMVs and found this one.  Don't recognise the song or the band, but I like it.
Edit:

We just got back from the theatrical showing of Volume 1. A lot of fun -- like watching it in our living room with 151 of our closest friends, and while it did devolve into The RWBY Horror Picture Show at times (image 75 or so girls all going "Nope!" over and over in unison, and an entire theatre shouting "I'm combat ready!") it was still fun. The copy shown appears to have been at least partially a new render -- an animation glitch I was very aware of had been corrected -- and I'm sure a few new bits of dialogue and sound effects had been added.

Oh, and we saw three of the RWBY Chibi shorts after. Very cute and funny. And then they gave out posters to four lucky ticket-holders.
-- Bob
---------