Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions wanted for software
Suggestions wanted for software
1)
Ever since I let my current anti-virus upgrade to the latest version, my system has slowed. Also, the software upgraded itself without asking (which I believe is illegal in Canada - even Microsoft software asks permission before updating itself). So I'm looking to rip-and-replace. Suggestions pro or anti any current AV suites?

2)
I find I need a "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail_%28Unix%29]tail" command, which I can't find in Windows. Is there a decent Win implementation of tail(1) out there?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

1) I use Panda AV, which has not shown any resource hogging on my system.  The only thing it auto-updates are the virus definitions.  I vaguely recall having to turn off 'recommendations', but I only had to do that once and it has never turned them back on or hijacked my browser to direct me to a sales page, or whatever.
Avast is my emergency fallback AV suite, but I'm not at all happy with how intrusive it is out-of-the-box, nor how many ads it starting showing me prior to me getting fed up and switching to Panda.  When my install notes for it include "find and shut off all the extra bullshit", there's a problem.

2) Powershell is your friend.  I'm sure there are standalone things that do the same job, but, really, Powershell.  We use it on our Windows boxen at work all the time for reading the tail end of log files, which I suspect is what you're using tail for Smile

get-content "" | select -last

I love Powershell.

Edit: I feel I should add that you can script Powershell into a batch file and pass parameters to that, so you can make a "tail.bat" file that will mimic the tail command more easily, but there are a bunch of security-related gotchas which you have to address if you're gonna do that and that's sometimes more of a pain than it's worth.  But it can be done if you'd rather just type "tail file.txt numlines" or something.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

What AV are you using? Personally I (and the rest of the familial unit) use AVG free. If its not the one your accusing of such misbehavior, I'd recommend it
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Alas, it is AVG Free that is misbehaving.
--
Rob Kelk

There's always Cygwin, if you're not trying to string it together with Windows shell utilities.  It's not the most amazing environment ever, but it's easier than running a VM.  I use tail at least once a day (typically tail -f on log files), so it's hard to imagine life without it.
I hope you get tail, Rob.
-- ∇×V

So, finally got fed up with AVG (because it broke and wouldn't let me read my email), and have swapped it out for Avast. Now I'm getting this error message:
Quote:Avast Web Shield has blocked access to this page because the following certificate is invalid: http://allthetropes.org
I downloaded Avast today, so it's the most recent version, and Firefox is at version 44 - if this is Miraheze's HSTS acting up again, I don't know how to fix it. And Avast is even slower than AVG Free.

So... Where do I find Panda, again?
--
Rob Kelk

...I use Avast and don't have that problem. #Odd...

Even if I didn't have that problem, I'd want to drop Avast. AVG took 4 hours to scan every file on my HDD. Avast took 8 hours to scan 19% of the files on my HDD. This is unacceptable performance.
--
Rob Kelk

Here you go: http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeus ... antivirus/
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

robkelk Wrote:2)
I find I need a "tail" command, which I can't find in Windows. Is there a decent Win implementation of tail(1) out there?
It sounds like if you have Windows 10, and just wait a bit longer, you'll be able to install the Ubuntu version of tail on inside Windows.  They're working on an emulator to make Ubuntu packages work inside of Windows.  Apparently the Anniversary Update containing this will be available in the summer.  This announcement was kind of a big deal in the developer community -- this will make life so much easier.
-- ∇×V

Oh, excellent!
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:They're working on an emulator to make Ubuntu packages work inside of Windows.

WHAAAAAAAAAT!?

...... Okay, now that is all kinds of cool.