Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requiescet in pacem: David Bowie
Requiescet in pacem: David Bowie
He will be missed, especially as he released an album just 3 days ago.
That's right, if you'd seen his "Lazarus" music video... he filmed that on his deathbed.

''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Of the comments I've seen so far, I think Cmdr.Hadfield said it best: "Ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

CNN quotes a tweet by a Bowie fan which is also a great tribute: "If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

* Star Ranger4 is boggled.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I was wondering if there was any way we could get a feature on Mars named after him.

Outside of real life, the Time Lords in Fenspace probably operate Bowie Base One as a source of money from food.

Long live the Goblin King.

As said on another board and partially quoted above, I can't do better as a eulogy than the words of this guy right here:
Quote:David Bowie has died. It leaves me and, I suspect, millions around the world, with an instant feeling of loss and emptiness - and yet also a wistful joy, a sense of how creative and inspirational just one of us can be. His art defined an image of outer space, inner self, and a rapidly changing world for a generation finding themselves at the confluence.
I am honoured to have been able to return some of that favour. Being able to record Oddity  on the International Space Station was an attempt to bring that art full circle. It was meant as a way to allow people to experience, without it being stated, that our culture had reached beyond the planet. We live in space. I thank him for allowing us the opportunity, and for being so kind since.
These past two weeks I had watched and listened to David twice: once absorbing Lazarus from his new album, and once re-watching the recording he did of Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby. To me they are lovely, thoughtful moments, insights into in his relentless creativity. Bookends of intimacy spanning a life, both which make me want to watch them again and again. If you haven’t seen them, I recommend you take the time.
With much respect to a genius, a silent moment of reflection: ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman.
-Col Chris Hadfield

http://www.youtube.com/v/KaOC9danxNo&ve ... tube_gdata

I heard this morning that when the Grammy's are awarded this year that Lady GaGa is going to do a Bowie tribute, i don't know how to take this or how it will be done.