Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off we go...
Off we go...
Forgot to mention this earlier... Peggy and I are off on a short trip to Orlando, FL starting tomorrow.  We're intending to hit Universal, where I plan to do lots of research for DW8 in their Harry Potter zones.    We'll be back on Saturday.  I'm bringing my tablet, so I shouldn't be absent from the forums -- any more than usual, that is.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm suddenly channeling an old land rover commercial "Take me with you".....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I was there this past summer.  It was fun.  I especially enjoyed the Escape from Grimgrots ride.
while riding the Hogwarts Express (heading from Daigon Alley to Hogwarts), there was a shadow play projected on door (with sound), as if Harry and co were chasing off a Dementor in the hallway.  And the 'outside' window showed first a look at 'London' (complete with flying Deatheaters), followed by some British countryside, and then arriving in Hogsmead.  There may be other scenarios programmed in for variety, I only rode it the once.

And after a 2-hour delay on our flight we're finally in Orlando. We're right now at a Hurricane Grill just outside our resort for some long-delayed dinner.
-- Bob
---------

We just went through security at Universal, and Peg's grabbing a coffee at Starbuck's before we get into the Studio park. We have our tickets bought already, and they're park-to-park, so we'll be doing the Hogwarts Express from Kings Cross to Hogsmeade as our capper to the day. If I can get the pics from my camera to the tablet I'll post some tonight. (Parks close at 7 this time of year.)
-- Bob
---------

And we've just finished lunch Ar the Leaky Cauldron. Peg had bangers and mash, and I had what they called a cottage pie but which I know better as "shepherd's pie". She just went back for a dessert.

It's a wealth of riches here, foodwise -- so many things I want to try, including what appear to be at least three custom-brewed beers and a private whiskey for firewhiskey.

And Peg's dessert just arrived and she wants to feed me some of her chocolate clotted cream. Later, folks.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:... and I had what they called a cottage pie but which I know better as "shepherd's pie". ...
If they're made with beef, they're the same thing. (And a Cumberland pie has breadcrumbs on top.)

Some places reserve "shepherd's pie" for the dish made with lamb, but that isn't a hard-and-fast rule.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

If you get a chance, buy some cauldron cakes (I think they're in the glass case by the cash register at Zonko's). They're really good cupcakes in the shape of tiny cauldrons. Also buy the pumpkin juice in the bottles with the plastic pumpkin caps. The stuff they serve in the restaurants doesn't taste the same.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Done and done, Shepherd. Pic to come.
-- Bob
---------

And here we are at the start of day 2 at Universal, and our last full day in Florida. I'm sitting in the same Starbucks waiting for Peggy again. Today we're doing select bits of the Islands of adventure before returning to the Studios park to do the stuff we missed yesterday because we camped Diagon Alley for most of the afternoon. And may I say, watching the serious Potter fans is fun. Especially those with disposable income -- minimum $110 for robes, $60 for an "interactive" wand (it triggers various things around the Alley and Hogsmeade), scarves, sweaters... the only way you could tell them from some of the staff were the staff name badges. Especially since most of the really serious ones seemed to be college-aged.

Anyway, Peg's here with her coffee. Time to go.
-- Bob
---------

While it is probably too cold to bother doing the Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, I also like the Spider-Man 3D ride (look for Stan Lee under the theater façade mid-way through the ride) and the Jurassic Park water ride. They're probably the best rides in the park outside of the Hogwarts Castle. The Voyages of Sinbad show is also moderately good. 

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

I wouldn't say it's too cold -- it's supposed to hit 76 F this afternoon.

On other topics, the Three Broomsticks has "Shepherd's Pie" -- and it's lamb and beef.

Have to agree about the Hogwarts ride -- best one so far. We'll be taking the Express back to London next to see if the show is different in the other direction.

Oh, and Peg and I were wondering -- did the actors have theme park clauses in their contracts, or did Universal have to renegotiate from scratch? Given the crowd scenes at the end of the Hogwarts ride I'd hope for the lawyers' sake.
-- Bob
---------

Ha! The public restroms in Hogsmeade have a Moaning Myrtle soundtrack. And the men's room has three overflowing urinals right now.

-- Bob
---------

I doubt anyone foresaw Potter theme park attractions, so unless the actors' contracts contained really broad promotional requirements, I'd assume Universal had to negotiate separately for their participation.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I wouldn't say it's too cold -- it's supposed to hit 76 F this afternoon.
Lucky you. Up here, tomorrow's forecast high is -6°F.

Bring some warmth back with you, please...
--
Rob Kelk

I'll try but no promises.
-- Bob
---------

Shepherd. -- just got out of the Spider-man ride and Stan Lee has three cameos -- one as the truck driver, the theatre one you mentioned and a third as a bystander as you complete your trip.
-- Bob
---------

And now we're at Orlando Intl., waiting by our gate. If all goes well I'll post a couple pics tonight.

Oh, and the Dudley Do-right ride was closed for seasonal maintenance.

-- Bob
---------

Bring some warmer temps with you.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:Bring some warmer temps with you.
You're just saying that because it's bloody cold around here. (I understand it was too cold to hold an ice-carving festival in Central Park in NYC. OTOH, some brave souls were out skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa today, despite the -40°-after-wind-chill temperatures we had.)
--
Rob Kelk

They're coming up on a later flight -- say, Monday.
And rereading the thread, I have decided that I really shouldn't try to post from my phone -- the autocorrect really savages my text.
In other news, some pics for you all.  I took nearly 300 shots, all told, including a botanical garden we visited on Wednesday.  But here are a few of things I figure folks are interested in.
First off, Shepherd -- mere minutes after I saw your post about the cauldron cakes and the pumpkin juice:
[Image: 86c1621348a702ee07d0dd84a4f9ed5038951628.jpg]
And yes, that's a wand in front of Peggy.  She decided to buy one "collectible" Hermione wand, and one "interactive" generic ash wand.  That's the interactive wand, with the folded map of Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade next to it.  Oh, and you were so right about the bottled pumpkin juice.  Peggy disliked the stuff in the Cauldron, but this she enjoyed.
Oh, and that's the back wall of Weasley Wizard Wheezes way in the background.
And a few other things.  The window of Quality Quidditch Supplies:
[Image: 04a36795182140b3a38f0b64e656068336fc365c.jpg]
A view down the alley toward its entrance, from a stairwell extending up and back along Gringotts:
[Image: 33526d110a45fa5d02aefd01feac424a607be2d0.jpg]
The dragon on top of Gringotts, breathing flame, taken from the same location:
[Image: 27a26de1764eda88095e9d0d0de3fe77c4a94cca.jpg]
And finally, Peggy wearing the Sorting Hat.  Well, a Sorting Hat, of the souvenir kind:
[Image: 16b363e71d0040eba0b00e42e126080772cdb6e2.jpg]
If anyone wants to see anything in particular, let me know.  I didn't take shots of everything, but I've got a lot of both the Alley and Hogsmeade.
Oh, Timote -- we took the Express both ways, and the "show" is different going back to London.  Hagrid waves goodbye from the station, the Weasley Twins follow the train and set off a fireworks ad for their shop in the Alley, centaurs chase after you for a while, Buckbeak flies by, and Madeye Moody is on the platform in London when you get there.  The tone overall is less dark than the London-to-Hogsmeade trip.  In particular, there are no dementors this way, and the Trio in the hallway are simply looking for an empty compartment.  (With a nice effect of Ron pressing his face to the frosted glass to see who was in our compartment, btw.)
-- Bob
---------

RE Hogsmead to Diagon tripcool. neat to know for if/when I get back there.
I caught a picture of the Gringots dragon breathing fire myself.  We'd been standing in line near the door when I hear a sound from above, and decided to take another pic with my phone.  By pure luck, I took the pic just as it flamed.
My gf, with whom I was there, said that the Diagon train station is a match for real London train stations (she's English)