Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cost of Anime
The Cost of Anime
We all know it's a more expensive addiction than drugs.  I've now discovered an unexpected extra cost.
I'd somehow managed to miss ever even hearing about Sabaton, much less hearing their music -- until I decided to check out some Girls und Panzer AMVs.  Now it's off to the Barnes & Noble site to buy at least one Sabaton CD:  The Art of War.  (I'll probably also wind up buying the GuP DVD.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

At least Girls und Panzer is a good series to enjoy. Wink
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

And if you like it, you might enjoy Haifuri (full name: High School Fleet). It's pretty much "Girls und Panzerschiffs".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
And if you like it, you might enjoy Haifuri (full name: High School Fleet). It's pretty much "Girls und Panzerschiffs".
Nooooo!  Please!    I'm living on a fixed income; I can't afford to get interested in more anime!
-----

High School Fleet is available on Crunchyroll (which has been a boon to my budget, so much cheaper than DVDs).
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

Sabaton....I thought that they're the band of choice for SD/SB/SV/QQ/AH.

Most of the anime purchases I've done are typically the DVD, which branches to the soundtrack if it grabs me. The same for the other related media. GuP got me back to plastic tanks - sort of, started building the Maus & stopped and I've got the Stug & Hetzer kits too. If I knew about the GuP wrapped commuter train I'd have got that too (I'm soft looking for them now), the EVA bullet trains on the other hand haven't grabbed me.

Though the Char inspired body kit for the Toyota Auris is intriguing me.

Quote:Rod H wrote:
Sabaton....I thought that they're the band of choice for SD/SB/SV/QQ/AH.
Ummm ... clarification, please? 
-----

DHBirr Wrote:
Rod H Wrote:Sabaton....I thought that they're the band of choice for SD/SB/SV/QQ/AH.
Ummm ... clarification, please? 
Best guesses, considering which forum this is:
SD: "super-deformed"
SB: "SpaceBattles"
SV: maybe "Space Vessel"
QQ: don't know
AH: "Alternate History"

But maybe Rod H meant something else...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

StarDestroyer, Space Battles, Sufficient Velocity which should leave the last two self-explanatory but I don't lurk on those.

StarDestroyer, Space Battles, Sufficient Velocity which should leave the last two self-explanatory but I don't lurk on those.
Thank you.  While I've heard the names of the first two you cited, "Sufficient Velocity" is completely unknown to me and I've not a clue about "QQ."  Since it's sites you're talking about, I'll venture a guess that "AH" stands for "AlternateHistory" -- which, again, I've heard of but never visited.
-----

Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Thank you.  While I've heard the names of the first two you cited, "Sufficient Velocity" is completely unknown to me and I've not a clue about "QQ."  Since it's sites you're talking about, I'll venture a guess that "AH" stands for "AlternateHistory" -- which, again, I've heard of but never visited.
Sufficient Velocity is a spin off of SB that was created after some sort of scandal amongst the SB mods that pissed off a load of the membership.  Several other mods resigned in protest, started SV and a chunk of the membership quit SB and moved to SV.  another chunk (including myself) simply read and post on both forums.  The name comes from the popular Spacebattles line 'One at sufficient velocity'.
QQ is (I believe, I'm not a member) 'Questionable Content' forum, a smaller and earlier spin off of SB, which allows adult material in the stories/etc.  It wasn't the main purpose at the boards creation, but that is apparently what it's become known for.
You're probably correct about AH being Alternate History, but I've visited that site rarely and only thru links to specific threads.

Circle gets square, I don't think I've ever wandered through AH, and on QQ I couldn't find my way around (tried to find a certain ack story there, found it on AO3 instead).

Various places have been reminding me that there's Macross Frontier items I've not seen before, so they're on the wishlist. And of cause I'm waiting on more Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and I suspect if I go diving though the pile I may find a model kit of it.

QQ = Questionable Questing - a forum spun off by SpaceBattlers that wanted a home for quests and stories with decidedly NSFW content.

*points to Aeronaut's post* I stand corrected. 8P

In regards to streaming services, I've heard that Hulu is getting rid of all their anime. For real this time.

It makes me wonder - suspect, really - that soon anime streaming will suffer a similar fate to ADV Films.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind. Especially if it's a big enough hit to Funimation to lay off some of their legal staff. (I think NIS America could use a slap in the face as well.) It would be nice to see the fansub community experience a renaissance.

Don'ty know about the fansub part, but it would be nice to see NIS and Aniplex realize the North American market has substantially different economies of scale than does the Japanese market... that, or follow Bandai's lead and leave the North American market to the people who understand it.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
 It would be nice to see the fansub community experience a renaissance.
Not unless Crunchyroll (and thus Horriblesubs) fails and dissappears I suspect. That said - Series that aren't covered by Crunchyroll are still getting fansubbed reasonably quickly - likely because anyone with interest in fansubbing are funneled to those series.

Indeed. I think it more likely that Hulu is simply finding anime unprofitable because viewers are focusing on Crunchyroll.

Thus cutting their costs there and investing more in local and original productions.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.