Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Beyond
Just got back from seeing it. 
My hair is blown back in a straight line, my face is still settling back in to it's normal shape after the G-Forces have almost peeled it off, and my eyes are still streaming tears of unmitigated Star Trek Fan Geek Warp Speed JOYGASM!!! 
GO. SEE. THIS. MOVIE!!!!!!
BTW - the climax is without a doubt - the BEST use of ROCK AND ROLL in ANY Star Trek Movie or show EVER. 
In fact I almost suspect that the creators of this movie were fans of Macross. But it's no Idol Singer - it's BEASTIE BOYS!! 
And Kirk is INTO it. XD
Trust me. It makes sense in context. ^_^

Saw it the other day. It's a good Star Trek movie. Despite what happens to the Enterprise in the trailers, Beyond isn't really trying to revolutionise the setting like XI did, and I'm delighted to say it's not a political trainwreck like Into Darkness was. I noted elsewhere that, if the Kelvinverse had a tv show starting off after Into Darkness, this would be the third season finale. And that's part of why I like it. All the characters feel like they've been working together for years, there's friendship and respect between them. Bones and Spock in particular have some truly brilliant moments together. Uhura continues to be freaking awesome, not just in kicking the ass of anything in her way, but also a great moment in discovering a major detail about the big bad. As for Kirk, well, Chris Pines got it right this time. He's been hampered in the past by other problems with the script, the need to make him a reckless cowboy that doesn't play by the rules, but here, he felt like James T. Kirk.

Also, a drastic reduction in Lens Flare. And Yorktown is freaking beautiful.

I saw it on Friday. Much better than the last two, but that isn't saying much since I really disliked the last two. I will say this one was reasonably fun to watch, even if there were enough contrived circumstances and plot absurdities to pilot a starship through the gaps.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

It struck me as being the most TOS-ish of the NuTrek movies. In that the conflict wasn't merely shoot-em-up action, but also had some real philosophical content. Rather shallow philosophical content, this being a Hollywood summer blockbuster, but still, it moved closer to TOS then the previous two films.

Plot holes large enough to drive a dreadnaught through, yes. But still fun, without giving me an uneasy feeling that I was betraying the ethos of Trek by enjoying it. This Kirk is closer to Original Kirk (or should that be Kirk Prime?) than ever before, in the sense that KP always had some real depth behind that flashy, confident exterior, and NuKirk has (before this film) always struck me as being skewed more towards the thoughtless-action, eyecandy end of the scale. In this film, I get a sense of NK finally growing into someone who could have pulled off "Balance of Terror" with thought, tactics, and determination, rather than just hot-dogging his way through on luck and guts.

Also, any movie that has me clapping my hands over my mouth to keep from shouting "SOUND GOLDFISH WARNING" in the theater, well....

Quote:SkyeFire wrote:
Also, any movie that has me clapping my hands over my mouth to keep from shouting "SOUND GOLDFISH WARNING" in the theater, well....
Oh good, it wasn't just me.

No, no it wasn't, loved this one as well. Honestly when they rebooted the franchise I was worried. So much in fact that I didn't even watch the first one until the second was out on DVD. I can say I am pleasantly surprised.

It had very little real substance after the explosions started.

Then again, I liked how everyone at least seemed older and part of the role they were playing.