Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For almost three months now, I have avoided mentioning...
For almost three months now, I have avoided mentioning...
...that I've been unemployed since July 11, when I left my last employer.  (Why?  Because although they interviewed me as -- and led me to believe I was being hired as -- a .NET developer, my manager decided without consulting me that I was going to become their backup "subject matter expert" in PowerBuilder and a 20-year-old legacy app written in it.  I spent 14 months trying to do this while also trying to get reassigned to something that would actually advance my career, to no avail.)
Anyway, the reason I'm mentioning this now is that I just got back from dropping off the paperwork that will make me once again an employee of FastTrackRTW in Bedminster.  I'll admit that it's a bit of a step backward in salary and title, but it gets me back to the place where I was happiest in the last ten years, working with people I already know and who want me back.  You should have seen the welcome I got when I went in on Friday for an "interview" that was really three friends shooting the breeze for half an hour before getting shown around the new office like it was my first day already. 
My "first day" will be October 24.  I can't wait.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

HUZZAH!!! *Applauds*

As long as you can support yourself, then it's alright. Smile

You start on a Saturday? You must really want that job.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wow, congrats!  I was wondering why your writing output suddenly dropped, but it all makes sense now.  Being unemployed is hard work.
Also if anyone here is a competent Perl programmer and is looking for work in that, I'm pretty sure I could help find something just about anywhere in the world.  Especially if that anywhere is Amsterdam, as Booking is always hiring.  But there are lots of other shops, including remote ones.
-- ∇×V

October 24. "22" was a typo.
-- Bob
---------

Good to hear, Bob. Hope all goes well for you.

Now if only the wound on my left foot will finally heal...! I can go back to work, too!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Congratulations.  And say, "Hi" to Ms. Trellis for me.  Oh.  You mean it's NOT that Fastrack?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Congrats twice! One for the new job, and one for again getting to work at a place, and with people, you *like*.

Thank you, everyone.
-- Bob
---------
Congrats
 Excellent - happy at work is worth more than many people think.

Yeah, the recruiter who sent me to them was an interesting mix of "are you sure you want to take $12K less than your target?" and "you gotta think about the intangibles" when I got the offer, but in the end he was happy for me (and, I think, not just because of the fee he'll be getting).

And further developments this morning: An email from the CIO at 9AM which said, "can you start tomorrow instead of the 24th?" Of course I said yes.
-- Bob
---------

...and in 15 minutes I'm off to my first day at the new old job.
-- Bob
---------

Oh well, there goes the redesigned website.
-- ∇×V

Yeah... well. Maybe fit it in here and there on the side.
-- Bob
---------

Congratulations and I hope it works out.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It was like coming home again.
-- Bob
---------

??????????????
-- ∇×V

Congrats Bob

YAY! Big Grin

Now if I could only find where I put all the posters and other cube decorations that I had no place to hang in the white collar ghetto that was my last job.
-- Bob
---------

Dammit. Still can't find those posters. Found the ones that came with me from A.M. Best in 2009, but not the ones I took down in spring 2015 -- what's up with that?

Anyway, great moment at work today. My boss stuck his head in my cubicle and thanked me effusively for coming back and told me that he's so very glad I did. So I have a little something to make me happy this very not-happy morning.
-- Bob
---------

Congratulations, Bob!

@vorticity: booking.com? Yeah, know a guy working there. It's true, they're always hiring.

Thank you.
-- Bob
---------