Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air bags, not just a good idea they're a GREAT idea
Air bags, not just a good idea they're a GREAT idea
So Friday morning about two miles from home the light turned green and those of us at the front of the lanes started forward. Next thing I know I see a pickup truck directly in front of me, then... well it was amazingly like a recent ad on TV that involved a collision. A sudden thud-crunch sound, a moment of disorientation, and suddenly there's a burnt smell in the air and the music on the radio has given way to the Sync system announcing that it is attempting to dial 911. I can't see much because the slowly deflating steering wheel and side curtain airbags are blocking my view -- and my glasses have ended up neatly folded in the toe space of the passenger side rather than being on my nose. All way to fast to be scared. Startled yes, then shocked, and then the police and paramedics were there bringing order to the chaos.
I came out of it in amazingly good condition. I and the driver of the car next to me (also hit by the red light runner) were able to get out of our cars on our own. The guy who ran the light was as well, and compound his troubles by trying to run from the scene (right towards the police offices down the same block -- oops). My poor car is probably done for and it wasn't even paid off yet (but thankfully up to date on the insurance) but with air bag deployment and crumpled front, probably some engine damage... looks like car shopping time again. I'd hoped to keep this car for the rest of the decade and enjoy having a paid off car.
I sure hope your weekends have been far less exciting.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

Any Friday you can walk away from is a good one. Or something like that.

Good to hear you're okay, and taking things reasonably well.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yeah, it wasn't a paycheck Friday... But everyone seems to have had astounding luck rolls, other than rolling a 1 when attempting to avoid the collision and the truck driver rolling another 1 when deciding where to run. :p
I haven't even felt the need for so much as and OTC painkiller since Friday night.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

LIkewise, glad to hear that you're okay. And get your insurance company to evaluate the car before you give up on it. You might be pleasantly surprised.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Glad you're OK. That's the most important thing.

Yeeesh. Feel bad for you in regards to the car, but at least you're alright.

Anyone who predicted the guy tried to flee the scene because he didn't actually have insurance has won a genuine imitation no-prize. Well, I guess that's why I pay for the Uninsured/Underinsured portion of my car insurance.
The car has been to a mechanic for a repair estimate (thousands more than I paid for the car) and now I'm in week four of waiting for a decision. Meanwhile I've been looking through listings getting an idea for just what's available now. I can pick up a used hybrid or plug-in hybrid for less than I paid for the car that got smashed up. A plug-in hybrid would be pretty nifty as the place I work at has multiple charging stations available (some of our fleet are plug-in hybrids so they installed the stations originally for them but they're available for staff too). Since most of my commuting miles are to work and back I could potentially cut my gas purchases drastically even without a charging station at the apartment complex.
And according to The Fount of All Knowledge I can thank Walter Linderer and John W Hetrick for airbags. After I showed my doctor a picture of my car he said the side airbag probably saved me from having a concussion. I've continued feeling pretty good, the car may be totaled by I've walked away with just a sprained thumb/wrist, which is occasionally annoying but far, far better than it could have been.
-----