Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter in Ottawa

Someone left the window to the snowy north open over here. A few days ago we got absolutely BLASTED by a northern front that came rolling through here with steady-blowing winds in the neighborhood of 45-50kph. By the time the sun was coming up the mercury had hit -3C with a windchill of -10C.

The wind all on its own made things hazardous for us Paratransit Drivers, but combined with the off-hand chance of spots of black ice on the bridges? SCARY AS FUCK!!!

It's just now starting to get back to something that resembles normal over here.

Google has an appropriate animated cartoon for this particularly chilly Winter Solstice:  a bunch of snowdrifts ... shivering.
-----
The Neanderthal Remnant — We Shall Overcome!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Here on the Southern California coast, it finally got cold enough for the NWS to issue a Frost Advisory.  Wow.  It got down to a degree below freezing that night.  Not really cold enough to do crop damage, but the leaves on our Japanese maples finally decided to drop that night.
Thankfully, there's a happy ending.  Three days later, I'm hanging out in the back yard in my underwear at midnight with the dogs.  A nice balmy 68°F at midnight on the longest night of the year.
-- ∇×V

You can go home now.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heh. heh. Heh. But she WAS home!

seriously though. Last week in Brentwood CA the daily high was in the 40's. And I had to put up with a roomate who seem to think he cant sleep without the AC blasting... even though he has burrowed under his covers.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

It's currently +1C, and forecast to go up to +4C... and then Colorado is giving us a Xmas present of "a wintery mix of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain", with a forecast low of -10C.

So... slippery roads and poor visibility, on the day that everybody's trying to get home to their loved ones. Yay.
--
Rob Kelk

We've got 55F and sunny forecast for tomorrow; it's 40 or so right now, with fog.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Down in Windsor Ontario (just over the border, South of Detroit) Today's high was 14C (with lots of rain).  Tomorrow's high is only -1C *shakes head*

Mostly, I hate an entire day of freezing rain. Mostly. Yesterday's day of freezing rain did have the advantage of producing some photo-worthy vistas.
--
Rob Kelk

Dunno what to think... there were several days that I thought were near freezing here in S. Cal but the almanac data I've been able to find doesnt seem to support that therom

NO QUARTER!!!

And Morgantown has snow, finally. Dammit. I thought I'd managed to stave that off. Why the hell did I sacrifice all those rabbits then, if not to manipulate the weather?!
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Ebony Wrote:... Why the hell did I sacrifice all those rabbits then, if not to manipulate the weather?!
Either dinner, or a lot of pregnancy tests.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Ebony wrote:
And Morgantown has snow, finally. Dammit. I thought I'd managed to stave that off. Why the hell did I sacrifice all those rabbits then, if not to manipulate the weather?!
Elahrairah's gonna come after you.  Remember what he did to Hufsa's reputation?  Say goodbye to your credit rating....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

What a freaking depressing forecast.

Drizzle tonight (it's been so warm that the skating rinks have melted), chance of flurries Monday, up to 15cm of snow Monday night and Tuesday, chance (between 40-70%) of snow every day for the rest of the week.

At least they're expecting it'll get cold enough to start re-freezing the skating rinks Thursday evening.
--
Rob Kelk

whereas this is what happens when the weather decides to try and deliver 3 years of back-ordered rain in 3-4 days....
[Image: 5ZvF2ie.jpg]
Yes, thats a fountain of water being driven by the pressure of the standing water upstream of it!
Oh, and did I mention that these were fat, COLD drops;  Clearly it was trying to snow and barely failing.  O.o;

NO QUARTER!!!

We got 28cm of snow last night (that's 11" in old money) - more than we got the entirety of January.

The forecast for this afternoon, tonight, and tomorrow is for more snow.

If anybody wants some snow, come and get it...

EDIT: On second thought, go get it from Atlantic Canada. They're getting 70cm (roughly two feet) of snow today - enough that even Canadians stay home.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3979682
--
Rob Kelk

Please, come and take it.  They shut down most of the province here, even to the point where the Tims were preemptively announcing they weren't going to open today. 
And apparently I'm going to have to take a cab in to work tomorrow since the buses won't be running until 5pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3981012

Here's hoping the power situation in NB isn't as bad as last time.

I remember hearing that Chilliwack British Columbia got 80cm of snow in a 72hr period a week or two ago. (double checks; yeah first weekend of Feb. Started on Friday the 3rd and kept going right through to Sunday)

Their average annual snowfall is only 85cm.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3228892/chill ... ow-photos/

As I post this, the temperature is -8C. The forecast for the next week is high temperatures between +3C and +8C, with low temperatures barely below freezing.

Maple syrup season is starting early this year.

EDIT:
[Image: melting-snowman.jpg]
(http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ot ... -1.3987551]source)
--
Rob Kelk

It's about 45F (7C) here now and we're supposed to have 55-65F (15-18C) this weekend. While I am glad not to be sharing your suffering, you do have my sympathies.
-- Bob
---------

Yesterday's high was 0C. Today's was 6. Sat and Sun are supposed to reach _15C_ (roughly 60F)

wtf is with the weather....

59 and sunny when I went to lunch (Rochester, NY) today.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

60s and 70s F here for the next few days; in fact it's supposed to be springlike weather at least through the end of the month.

Now that's my kind of February.
-- Bob
---------

Stop bogarting all the moisture, you bastards! It's been uncannily dry out here in Denver all winter.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Oi, Fnord, be careful with that... it's only my second season having to shovel for myself, and I don't want another blizzard before we finally buy a snowblower. Tongue
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor