Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That was easier than I remembered it being...
That was easier than I remembered it being...
For the first time in, geeze, it must be close to 20 years, if not 20 or more, I have prepared a Beef Wellington for a holiday get-together tomorrow.  It's sitting in my fridge right now, wrapped and ready to go into the oven tomorrow, and even though I know that the recipe I used tonight was more complicated than the one I used to use it seemed to be so much simpler.
Oh, and this is the recipe:

While I have a print version of the recipe, I did have this running on the tablet in the kitchen as I worked.  I will note that the "blitzing" of the mushrooms and the drying of the mushroom mix took a bit longer than it appears on the video, but everything else (other than the "wait x minutes" bits) was practically real time.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

NICE.

Gonna have to try that some time. But with the way my brothers and I like to eat, that'd be a side item at best to a 25lb turkey.

It was amazingly tender and delicious, by the way... I just wish the pastry hadn't split along the top. I should have taken a picture of it, but I forgot until it was all sliced and served...

Oh, and BA? It'll be expensive. The 2.25 lb piece of meat I used cost me about $25 -- and that was after my customer loyalty card discount; "list" price would have been $34. And I had to have it cut special, as they didn't have one in the case when I went shopping.
-- Bob
---------

Yeesh.

Actually, you know what? I'll ask around at my supermarket. I'm curious to see if I can get it at a better price where I live. Wink

I've found that the closer i get to a farm, the less expensive produce and meat becomes. (Mind you, I live in a city where it's practical for over half the population to practice the "100-mile diet", so YMMV.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I agree with Rob; you'll get a better price at a local locker plant or butcher than in a modern megamart.

Not to mention probably being of better quality as well.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

That, too. I stopped at a little country grocery store on my way home yesterday (I was out of town for the first half of the week), and got five days' worth of grass-fed local beef for what four days' worth of feed-fed trucked-in beef would have cost in town.

The marbling looks better on the local beef, too, but that's probably the butcher's skill showing.
--
Rob Kelk

So, BA -- or anyone else -- did you ever get around to trying this over the holidays?
-- Bob
---------

Not I, alas - we had company with nut allergies visit.
--
Rob Kelk

Nope. I'm behind on the rent. My christmas has been, as usual, full of suck. Sad