Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VIII

LulzKiller Wrote:5 days and no response so i'm posting this here:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tio6f3boz8sdf3wy
I'm not a video gamer, so I can't help with that - sorry!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Likewise, I can't help. I remember playing one of the SC games back in the day, but not so well that I could help here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's more that both 1 and 2 are going to the same page through double redirect, and I need to know just so I can fix it.

robkelk Wrote:Yeah - all RfCs should be linked from the RfC page.

I could have sworn it *was* before, but there wasn't anything in the edit history that I could find.

-Morgan.

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Yeah - all RfCs should be linked from the RfC page. EDIT: And I've added this one to the RfC page.
http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests ... e-Prairies

EDIT: Oh, and I added a fifth proposal to the RfC, somewhere between NDKilla's "kick him off altogether" and DQ's "let me keep all rights on the wiki I started". So far, DQ hasn't commented on it but has commented on other comments.
Am I off-base in thinking that the admission that he spoofs his location "for personal security" means people should not trust IP nor his statements as to where he lives? And I'll be honest, if I were on Miraheze, that would immediately put me into a potentially hostile posture with regards to him, regardless of anything else, in terms of anything he's asking for.
OK, I get that in the modern day one might have pretty good reason to spoof one's location, but by the same token, that implies a lack of trust that makes me question him running a wiki on someone else's server.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

He's had serious trust issues with Miraheze staff all along - that, or he's a troll.
--
Rob Kelk

On it's own, wanting to keep as much information about one's identity and location private as possible doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

DQ's obsession with establishing technical or policy tools to prevent some nebulous form of abuse by staff on their wiki (that AFAICT has never actually happened) is another matter. Particularly juxtaposed with seeking enhanced privileges over the rest of Miraheze.

-Morgan.

Venting here - feel free to ignore.

Earlier today, I asked for a backup of the freebie wiki. John has actioned that request, and there's now an XML file sitting in /dumps .

It's a 240444405 byte file. My connection on Firefox gets to 100,000+/-5,000 kB and says the file's completely downloaded. I've seen this before with large XML files - and only with large XML files. I gave up after a dozen tries.

So there's a backup sitting there and I can't pull it offsite to here...

Aarrrgh.

(I've updated the Phabricator ticket asking that the file be zipped or gzipped... but the ticket was already marked as Resolved and I know the ITIL meaning of "Resolved", so I'm not sure it'll happen.)

EDIT: John isn't using the ITIL definition of "Resolved" - I got the gz file.
--
Rob Kelk

Whatever process updates the contents of categories seems to be screwed up again. I created a new page last night, added an image, and put both in a same-named category ("Kevin Bloody Wilson"). 11 hours or so later, and the category still insists there are no pages or files in it.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Whatever process updates the contents of categories seems to be screwed up again. I created a new page last night, added an image, and put both in a same-named category ("Kevin Bloody Wilson"). 11 hours or so later, and the category still insists there are no pages or files in it.
Labster / Vorticity pointed out that there was an abnormally large number of jobs recently. Job runner probably fatal'd when I restarted redis (our session manager, also used for keeping lists of jobs). Hopefully there aren't any issues at the moment and Vorticity opened a phabricator ticket to add monitoring of job length. 

Edit: If anyone has gotten logged out in the last few days even though they have cookies remembering their session, this is probably why.

For those who need to delete subpages of deleted pages in the future, I added it as a reason because I myself noticed that a lot of pages I and others were deleting were of this type:

http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... id=1437649

Oh, cool. I should have thought of that. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------

Our favorite unregistered editor at 2601:402:4401:3d71:9135:bfc:c3dc:24d1 may be at it again with a YMMV page -- can someone else please check out http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... id=1102439]this edit and offer their own opinion before I do anything? Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Our favorite unregistered editor at 2601:402:4401:3d71:9135:bfc:c3dc:24d1 may be at it again with a YMMV page -- can someone else please check out http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... id=1102439]this edit and offer their own opinion before I do anything? Thanks.
Replacing specific examples with a general statement that I would hang the {{context}} tag on? I'd revert the edit without asking.

Besides, it's a YMMV page. Add to text, don't replace it.
--
Rob Kelk

Thanks, that was my first instinct, but I don't always trust my impartiality even for obvious stuff like that.
-- Bob
---------

I would have reverted it too, for what it's worth, I mean I probably would have let you guys do it first if I saw it, because I didn't want to be the junior admin reverting others work.

(That's right - I'm not the most junior admin any more...) LulzKiller, we wouldn't have given you the powers if we didn't trust you with them.

I'm getting "(Cannot access the database: Connection refused (81.4.125.112))" messages at the moment. Was there some maintenance planned?
--
Rob Kelk

The whole farm seems to be down -- meta's throwing the same message.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah down again, and back up again.  If anyone knows a DBA, that might be helpful.  Previously mysqld went down from the OOM killer, but that didn't happen this time.  I'm sure more details will come out later today.  (Also if anyone knows PHP and would be willing to fix T154076 I could actually notify everyone about what's going on during downtime).
Without knowing the causes here I can't say what the fix is.  But the main problem is that we're getting processes killed, so the DB performs a whole warmup/checksum when starting up.  Because we have so many wikis, this takes ~100 minutes.  So a small incident results in a lot of downtime.  Theoretically we could speed this up by deleting empty wikis or dormant wikis, which might be the easiest at this point.  And then solutions start moving towards sharding or replication or increasing memory -- I can't say for sure until we get a post-mortem.  I do have money budgeted for increased resources if necessary.
-- ∇×V

It's always nice to accommodate the creators... The commentary for today's Vagabond Starlight includes "Also, if there exists a Grand List of Sci-Fi Stuff What Puts The Bathroom Front And Center, feel free to slap Vagabond Starlight on the bottom of it." So I did. .. and I left a trackback, so we might get a little bit more traffic for a couple of days.

(Of course, now we need a Work page for Vagabond Starlight.)
Edit:  Fixed link to VB. -- Bob
--
Rob Kelk

Saline is kicking up a fuss on Meta regarding his ATT ban.

http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Stewards'_noticeboard#Conduct_dispute_on_All_The_Tropes

So far it looks like he's getting told it's an internal ATT matter.
-- Bob
---------

Found an interesting article that I think is good and should be kept but don't know how:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/GTA_Radio

Do we let it have it's own individual page?

Do we move it into GTA as a franchise?

What do we categorise it as?

My opinion: Yes, yes, and I have no idea, respectively.
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, the two were mutually exclusive. Also if we are keeping it as a separate page, categorising it does become twitter, not saying it as a preference for merging, just something to consider.