Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki needs images!
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki needs images!
Hoo boy, does the freebie wiki need some images.

The benefits to having a separate page for each free item is that people can describe items in more detail than they could in a simple list, items can be categorized and searched for, and the wiki looks "more professional" (not my words, but I'll accept the description). The downside to having a separate page for each free item is that the wiki needs many more pictures than it would if it was just a few dozen lists. The benefits outweigh the downside, so we're making individual pages for the freebies.

The wiki workflow has settled down to a routine:
1) a half-dozen people (including me) find links to new or existing free resources (we still haven't gone through all of ShareCG or Renderosity) and add the links to the index lists;
2) I double-check the links, get license information, create pages for the free resources, and update the index lists with pointers to wiki pages instead of links; and
3) somebody renders images of the resources and adds them to the pages.

The problem is, step 3 has fallen by the wayside as our volunteer illustrators discover Real Life has other plans for their time.

At the moment, there are over 2,500 pages that don't have images. I know there's more than 1,400 more pages to be created just for free wardrobe items - then there's morphs, expression packs, props, scenes, texture packs, hairdos, and so on.

Does anybody want to help make images for the wiki? They don't need to be fancy; they just need to show off the free resources. (And if you're still learning how to use Poser or Daz Studio, making a large number of small images lets you experiment with shading, lighting, and camera settings.) When categories update properly, this list of Pages Needing Images is accurate.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki needs images!
(blows dust off thread)

Wow, was I an optimist.

We're over 8,300 content pages now (more than double what we had at the start of the year) and still not finished making pages for the free wardrobe items... and we're down to one part-time illustrator. This means less that one-quarter of the content pages have renders.

If anybody with Poser or Daz Studio or Blender wants to give me a Christmas present, I've got a little wishlist. Images don't need to be fancy...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think the main problem is most of us/the ATT folk don't have these programs or that much knowledge about 3D rendering.
True, but "most" isn't "all". I know there's at least one who does...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown