Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was ten years ago today...
It was ten years ago today...
...that Steve Jobs announced that he was changing cellular telephones into something that BlackBerry had been doing for seven years prior to that announcement (but that was in Canada so it doesn't count).

Are people enjoying their smartphones nowadays?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It may have been done before.

But Jobs turned it from "nerdy business ball and chain" to "must-have coolness".

I had an iPad, and before that an iPaq (HP/Compaq Windows CE palmtop device), for years before getting my first iPhone. So it was an easy migration for me.

I still have hundreds of books in MS .lit format, too. Need a good reader for it that runs on iOS.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Had a Gen4 iPod while I was living in Japan, but iPhones weren't supported there at the time. Also had an iPad. Very useful implements that I wish I still had now.

I'm hoping that maybe I'll do well enough this year that I can finally get an iPhone, but I'm not holding out.

ECSNorway Wrote:I still have hundreds of books in MS .lit format, too. Need a good reader for it that runs on iOS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft ... hird_party mentions an iOS program that will read .LIT files.  Or just convert them with Calibre to something more modern.
I had an iPhone for a long time before my company bought me a iPhone 5S.  Just to clarify, that's an iPhone with no numbers or letters after it.  Lasted really great, as Apple makes great hardware.  I'm still using the 5S -- I like the smaller size.  Though I've now been informed that I have the oldest cell phone in the entire company, and did I want to upgrade?  "Mottainai."
-- ∇×V

The iPhone 7 is water-resistant. Not "oh no, it's raining" resistant, it's "OH FUCK! NOT THE POOL!!!" resistant. I'd upgrade for that alone,

I remember my first day taking calls for iPhone support. The actual "who does what" support structures weren't properly thought out. The AHT (average handle time, time speaking with customer) that day was a huge mess. Too many times we had to transfer to Apple Support because of issues we couldn't handle at customer care.

Much more smoother these days...
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Black Aeronaut Wrote:The iPhone 7 is water-resistant. Not "oh no, it's raining"
resistant, it's "OH FUCK! NOT THE POOL!!!" resistant. I'd upgrade for
that alone,
Wait wait wait.  Did you just suggest that I get a new phone so that I don't have to get a new phone due to accident?  I spend my days on the Amazon website, not in the Amazon jungle.  Also: I have backups.
-- ∇×V

Sorry. Sometimes I forget most people do not have the sort of horrible luck I've been experiencing.

I just want a smartphone as tough as my old Nokia was. It didn't quit working until the *second* time I drove over it with my truck.