Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Miraheze has gone 503.

(I was in the middle of a page edit, too...)

EDIT: It's back, ten minutes later. (My edit had been saved. Yay!)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
[url=http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/download/file.php?id=12d6215cc-0a99-41b9-98ce-cc1c480aa93d.png[/url]
Viewed 34 times

We've reached the 1000 user milestone for ATT.
I noted the 1000 users on our history page.  @Looney: And on that page: While I do know the difference between "its" and "it's", sometimes I still write it wrong.  Seriously, it's a language wart.
-- ∇×V
double post due to tapatalk error screen
-- ?×V
Is there some reason we hide external links under the word "here"? I don't see any benefit to it, and I do see two drawbacks:
  • For folks like me who never had really steady hands to begin with, it's much easier to hit a minimum-eleven-character link than it is to hit a four-letter word (especially on a touchscreen).
  • Leaving the links out where people can see them gives fair warning if a particular site is blocked by someone's firewall.
--
Rob Kelk

I'd assume it's just a manifestation of people wanting to make their sentences look like sentences. Also if you're dealing with links that could be an entire line by themselves, it gets annoying.

-Morgan.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL ADMINS:

I have seen someone who apparently has a grudge against Miraheze staff member Void has been registering accounts on Miraheze and vandalizing wikis, ours including, to post personal information in an attempt to "dox" them, information that is not only dangerous, but also illegal to disseminate.

I have personally blocked and dealt with one account that did this and have oversighted any of their edits, and I ask all other with admin rights do so immediately upon seeing any further activity of this type, as I have no tolerance nor stomach for this kind of terrorism and violation of privacy (especially when it involves information that is flagrantly illegal to disseminate like banking or social security numbers).

I further expect all attempts will be made to prevent any further spread of this information and all information leading to the culprit be given to Void and Miraheze Staff (with utmost discretion), and, if need be, relevant law enforcement agencies.
robkelk Wrote:Is there some reason we hide external links under the word "here"? I don't see any benefit to it, and I do see two drawbacks:
  • For folks like me who never had really steady hands to begin with, it's much easier to hit a minimum-eleven-character link than it is to hit a four-letter word (especially on a touchscreen).
  • Leaving the links out where people can see them gives fair warning if a particular site is blocked by someone's firewall.

Frankly, Rob?  I hate bare URL links with a passion.  They look amateurish and ugly.  I've been converting all the ones I find into potholes, and I'm probably responsible for a lot of the "here"s you've seen.  That said, I'll try to use longer pothole texts.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
GethN7 Wrote:IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL ADMINS:
I have seen someone who apparently has a grudge against Miraheze staff member Void has been registering accounts on Miraheze and vandalizing wikis, ours including, to post personal information in an attempt to "dox" them, information that is not only dangerous, but also illegal to disseminate.

Thanks for the heads-up, Geth.-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Geth.

Just found out who it is, our old friend "Amanda".
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Is there some reason we hide external links under the word "here"? I don't see any benefit to it, and I do see two drawbacks:

Frankly, Rob?  I hate bare URL links with a passion.  They look amateurish and ugly.  I've been converting all the ones I find into potholes, and I'm probably responsible for a lot of the "here"s you've seen.  That said, I'll try to use longer pothole texts.

Thanks, Bob. Perhaps we can meet halfway and use text along the lines of "read it at github" or "see it at example.com".--
Rob Kelk

GethN7 Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Geth.

Oh good grief.  AGAIN?

Since she's done fucked up this time is someone going to file a police report on her?
robkelk Wrote:Thanks, Bob. Perhaps we can meet halfway and use text along the lines of "read it at github" or "see it at example.com".
Works for me.  As long as they're not bare, I'm happy.  I only do the "here" thing because I'm usually barreling through large numbers of pages and it's a quick fix.-- Bob
---------
Black Aeronaut Wrote:
GethN7 Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Thanks for the heads-up, Geth.

Oh good grief.  AGAIN?

Since she's done fucked up this time is someone going to file a police report on her?

At this point, that's up to Void.

I find it interesting that, as one of this person's more vocal opponents on Meta, I haven't been targeted. Of course, I also made clear that this person could say anything about me that they were willing to defend in court, so my hint may have been taken.--
Rob Kelk

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category: ... The_Tropes

this even necessary?
Um.  No.  It's one thing to track our original content.  Our original organizational structures is a bit too anal for me.-- Bob
---------
LulzKiller Wrote:http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category: ... The_Tropes

this even necessary?

It's a duplicate category. Category Pages are still Pages, and we already have CategoryTongueages Original to All The Tropes if for some strange reason we really want to track new categories this way.--
Rob Kelk

Miraheze is going into read-only mode in slightly under 40 minutes from this being posted. (Which means I'm not doing a one-man editing party later today...)--
Rob Kelk

Welp.  It wouldn't be a MediaWiki update without infuriating errors preventing common tasks from completing:  trying to move or delete a page now throws a MWUnknownContentModelException error.-- Bob
---------
While that issue's been resolved (and quickly, I might add), another thing that we might lay at the feet of the upgrade has popped up:

Jade Shauni has reported, and I've confirmed, that the Trope Workshop is broken.  Trying to go there just gets a 500 error.-- Bob
---------
It appears the welcome bot isn't working, either. Are the user talk pages accessible?--
Rob Kelk

Yes.  Just went to mine.-- Bob
---------
I edited some of the site CSS to get some of the hideous new skin updates to look less terrible, may take awhile to percolate through the system though, also may need to flush your caches to make it work.
Meanwhile, over on TvTropes, they've joined the ranks of blocker-blockers...

http:////pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=GuEMFkMX

I know shiteall javascript, but, annoyingly, blocking the domain it loads the page from doesn't stop it nuking the entirety of the text beforehand - it just leaves a blank page. It's written well enough that I can guess where it's wiping the page, but I'm not sure about the test it's using to do it.

Out of simple inyellectual curiosity..... of course. Ahem,________________________________
--m(^0^)m-- Wot, no sig?
wrote: Wrote:Meanwhile, over on TvTropes, they've joined the ranks of blocker-blockers...

http:////pastebin.com/embed_iframe.php?i=GuEMFkMX

I know shiteall javascript, but, annoyingly, blocking the domain it loads the page from doesn't stop it nuking the entirety of the text beforehand - it just leaves a blank page. It's written well enough that I can guess where it's wiping the page, but I'm not sure about the test it's using to do it.

Out of simple inyellectual curiosity..... of course. Ahem,

Running noscript on Tvtropes.org blocks this effect, but does mean that the search no longer works.

Their system blocks uBlock origin - and turning it off does not work.