Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
I particularly noticed this problem relating to categorisation and in the actual increase that you could see in the job queue.
Just so folks know...

Over on the SJGames forums, Bill Stoddard mentioned having trouble creating an account at TVT so that he could edit the description of "Word of God" to make its relationship to "Death of the Author" clearer. I've invited him to create an account at ATT.

If you see a new account "whswhs" edit either of those pages, don't freak out - I said it was okay. Not that people need any mod's permission to edit a trope description, mind you.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Mine seems to be fine.  I wonder what's different.

Age, perhaps? The error did come up on newer pages.

I've done a bit more investigation.

The User Talk pages I've looked at fall into two groups: "broken" and "has content from the Orain days". There was no third group.

We might want to look at the fancy extensions that we've added to the User Talk pages and see whether they play nicely with the current version of Wikimedia.--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Mine seems to be fine.  I wonder what's different.

Age, perhaps? The error did come up on newer pages.

I've done a bit more investigation.

The User Talk pages I've looked at fall into two groups: "broken" and "has content from the Orain days". There was no third group.

We might want to look at the fancy extensions that we've added to the User Talk pages and see whether they play nicely with the current version of Wikimedia.

I can only assume Flow is to blame.

Flow is the extension that creates new talk pages by default, and while it's working fine on pre-existing pages, it's fouling up new ones.
http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Txjclef34mrjx09e

Discussion over sub-page eligibility for a category/template.
Brent -- I think we all forgot to bring this to your attention when you got back -- the Trope Workshop is missing and has been since shortly after you went to Amsterdam.  The page itself, not the tropes in progress, which can still be accessed.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
You might have recently seen that someone has deleted the entirety of a page at least twice, I blocked first time 2 hours and second time a full day due to no reason given either time.

I however have received an email from the user (even though he was able to just use his user talkpage), and the email I have copied as such:

"Hello.  The reason I have been editing the page for a work called "Sterate Baboogeddon" is because I am its author and would like to see the page removed if at all possible.  The page was originally a TVTropes page back in 2010 but it seems it was copied to this site.  I apologize for not giving a reason as to why I was editing the page.

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Sterate_Baboogeddon"

I will allow the rest of you to come to a conclusion as to how we move forward. For your own information I researched this matter more deeply and found he's also blanked the TVT equivalent.
I got the same message, and I'm inclined to grant this favor, the work itself no longer exists.
I agree.  But do tell him two things:  how the delete template works, and that TVT is far more likely to restore the page and lock it against future changes than they are to respect his wishes as the author.  TVT embraces "Death of the Author" to the point that they would hire hit squads against creators if they could.-- Bob
---------
I just noticed that we still have nominations for Featured Article pages closed. It's been 19 months; have we fixed the technical problems yet?--
Rob Kelk

What's wrong with Trope Workshop?  I don't see anything.

I think the Featured Article thing was going to be replaced by a list which showed a different item each day.  The technical problem was Miraheze needs more $$$, so we don't want to have an uncacheable front page with a random item.  If we're like Wikipedia and just choose one for each day -- in advance, mind you, we can do it.  I know I had code somewhere to generate a list.  Maybe I'll just redo it from that.-- ?×V
Okay, that's weird.  As recently as last night I was still getting a "page not found" error when I tried to navigate to it.-- Bob
---------
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Okay, something's wrong with DEFAULTSORT handling today. I added DEFAULTSORT tags to a couple dozen Works pages yesterday afternoon, and this morning they're still being sorted where they were before I added them. ("The Italian" through "The Kingdom of Naroni", for reference.) I presume there's some kind of task that manages this, and that it's wedged or something, because normally the relocation is instant.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It looks like the hamsters at Miraheze need some caffeine in their water. Categories aren't updating on the freebie wiki, either.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
we're missing a few pages of this thread, and Part VIII
I'm aware, LK. As I've posted in several places, tonight I bring in the posts made over the last month or so, which Brent just scraped a couple days ago. Please be patient with me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-12-2017, 09:39 AM)robkelk Wrote: It looks like the hamsters at Miraheze need some caffeine in their water. Categories aren't updating on the freebie wiki, either.

Yeah, I just realized that a little while ago -- the category task is stuck again.
-- Bob

(09-09-2017, 09:32 AM)Labster Wrote: I think the Featured Article thing was going to be replaced by a list which showed a different item each day.  The technical problem was Miraheze needs more $$$, so we don't want to have an uncacheable front page with a random item.  If we're like Wikipedia and just choose one for each day -- in advance, mind you, we can do it.  I know I had code somewhere to generate a list.  Maybe I'll just redo it from that.-- ?×V

While I don't have the code, I did have at one point the list of rotating articles you or someone built out of our existing blurbs.  On and off over the months, I've been editing this list with an eye toward eliminating duplicate entries, and adding articles for relevant holidays, birthdays and significant dates; I've also been making a note of the articles we'll need to add to the collection of blurbs we already have.  If it helps you find the specific extension, the name of the list was "template-ShowFeaturedArticle".
-- Bob

Oh, boy...

https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests_...ember_2017

and

https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests_...ame_policy

The proposed username policy is not without its merits, but it really needs a re-write. Maybe I'll propose one tomorrow.

The proposed amendment to the Code of Conduct, though... I have my suspicions about why this was allowed to get so far out of hand, to the point where the sysadmins don't want the responsibility to enforce the rules. I also have my doubts that what they're proposing will do anything other than weaken the enforcement system as a whole. And I have some serious concerns about the explicit disallowal of appeals for anything that is in effect for less than seven days. But I can't work on two counter-proposals at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The phrase that caught my eye was "We really had no way to enforce the Code of Conduct". Exactly what enforcement mechanism can a committee use that cannot be used by members of a normally-arranged mod team?

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
They really need to define what "offensive" is and how to prevent those from saying so and so is offensive as a power play. I do agree with some basic tenets of the username policy per impersonation and the like.

In terms of CoC, it reminds me, and likely Geth as well, of instances where CoC has become a political battleground in the cases of open source projects.
(09-16-2017, 09:08 PM)Morganite Wrote: The phrase that caught my eye was "We really had no way to enforce the Code of Conduct". Exactly what enforcement mechanism can a committee use that cannot be used by members of a normally-arranged mod team?

-Morgan.

Thank you, Morgan - that crystallized my unformed objection to the proposal. I have now cast my vote there with explanation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
My counter-proposal for usernames is now up.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-17-2017, 11:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: My counter-proposal for usernames is now up.

A spike person replied to it.
Read and replied.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown