Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX

Ah. One should be able to edit wiki pages without being confirmed or autoconfirmed; one can't post links. However, the freebie wiki is all about the links...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, that was a project for a day...

As of when I posted this comment, everything listed on Category:Works Needing Tropes had zero tropes. (I moved a couple-dozen pages to Category:Needs More Tropes because they had a trope or two. I do not guarantee all of the pages listed on Category:Needs More Tropes have at least one trope.)
--
Rob Kelk

Bad news and good news.

Bad news: SocialProfile has a small issue where if a spammer or troll leaves inappropriate crap on their SP page, you can't remove it.

Good news: It's easily fixable, I and Lulzkiller have already reported it. It will require Miraheze Staff to exercise the "flush inappropriate content" right due to how the extension is set up, which, since SP profiles can contain private data columns, seems like a fair compromise. The fix has already been requested.

There must be places in the Writer's Toolkit for the principles and links in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=149794 (Note especially posts 6 and 14.)
--
Rob Kelk

Reminding myself (and Bob) here to go vote on that Request for Stewardship. As of this posting, it needs at least 10 more people to comment on it. EDIT: Went and voted; the proposal now needs eight more people to weigh in.

And I spotted a possible loophole in the current draft of the CoC: Who gets to decide what is offensive? Anyone have any suggestions on how to phrase a "community standards" definition that will let each hosted wiki (not wiki founder) set their own definition?
--
Rob Kelk

My own hole in the CoC involves "whistleblowing" because I know exactly what it's trying to excuse and I'm not interested in letting that happen.

Good point. I just added that to the talk page for the proposal (giving my own reasons which might not match yours), as well as adding my suggestion to have the active editors of each wiki define what is and isn't offensive.
--
Rob Kelk

Vote for Void, everyone!
Best new ticket of the day from Amanda: http://phabricator.miraheze.org/T1747 Revi and I can't even read the task, and we're in the Security group.
And back on the issue of Power Trio, it seems like most remaining examples are of the type "[[Power Trio]: Alice, Bob, and Charlemagne".  Which is had to say what the original intent is, because I don't know most of the works.  Is it Freudian or is it a three protagonists?  It's not a ZCE, but it's close.  I'm leaning towards renaming the current ones as [[Heroic Trio], noting on that page that it's [[Not a Trope], and finishing the renames.
Ceterum censeo Amandam esse interdictam.
-- ∇×V

The ones out of us who haven't really voted are LT and SelfCloak, whether Doc cares enough is another story.

Revi is mad enough about it he's openly warned the person titled Amanda not to do it again.

Also robkelk managed to get this "whistleblowing" loophole removed from the CoC, which is a good step forward for me beginning to accept it.

I haven't had the time to really sit down, read through things and think about them. While I trust everyone's reactions here it would be irresponsible to just vote with the crowd without at least reading everything first.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Understood, and I both respect and agree with the attitude.
--
Rob Kelk

..aaaaand we're back to 503s again.
-- Bob
---------

Oh, forgot to mention -- I worked up another navbar template that I thought might be useful. Check out http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Template:Alien_Continuum]The Alien Continuum and let me know what you think.
-- Bob
---------

For fun, I decided to look at the statistics of a very few wiki sites. Are we not particularly chatty, are we not overburdened with chaff, or is the reality somewhere in between?

Percentage of wiki Pages that are Content Pages (rounded to three digits):
  • English Wikipedia: 12.8%
  • English WikiVoyage: 20.7%
  • All The Tropes: 48.7%
  • Poser and Daz Free Resources: 61.7%
--
Rob Kelk

The irony of asking that question without realising that 2400+ forum posts have been made about ATT on here, meaning they weren't on ATT.

Most wiki sites don't do a lot of their organising, talking etc outside of their wiki. ATT is an exception (Poser is too for similar reasons), the fact that some of us also contact each other either on different messages services or through the messaging ability available on ATT (which would not count as wiki pages); means that it is skewed there as well.

Also our community is a lot smaller than even the smallest Wikimedia Foundation supported project.

The idea that we don't communicate is bollocks, my first sentence alone disproves that. Edit reasons are also often a way of communicating.

Posts here are often pointers to talk pages on the wiki, so that 2400+ number is somewhat misleading. Even if all of the posts here were copied over to the wiki, they wouldn't bring the percentage down by that much.

(The freebie wiki does its discussions on the wiki. OTOH, the community there is even smaller than the community at ATT.)
--
Rob Kelk

One further factor is due to us being a fork, and not forking the entirety of discussion either on their talk pages or forums. If you forked Wikipedia you wouldn't be forking their talk page archives either.

True that.

Just got a question from a new user on the freebie wiki, who wants to know how to upload images and make them appear on pages. I was going to be lazy and point them at the Mediawiki help page, only to discover that the Mediawiki help page only covers half of what the new user needs to know. So... http://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/w ... ding_Image now has a section "How to Add Images to the Wiki".

I tried to keep things simple, so as not to overwhelm a new user. But that means I left things out. Is there anything similar on ATT that I can blatantly steal copy with attribution to fill in the holes in what I just wrote?
--
Rob Kelk

In terms of ATT, I recently added a small note saying to actually name your files and not just leave it as endless numbers, per my previous experience at ED.

In terms of needing shit clarified per no reason given regarding a page needing cleanup, well six of them.

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/SpongeBob ... s/Season_1

Seasons 1-6 quote wise are given the cleanup category, with no template or reason given.

I added the category with HotCat, which doesn't allow giving reasons...

The entire pages are italicized - somebody didn't close an italics markup somewhere. The markup error needs to be found and fixed.
--
Rob Kelk

ALL ADMINS PLEASE READ THIS!
robkelk Wrote:I added the category with HotCat, which doesn't allow giving reasons...

The entire pages are italicized - somebody didn't close an italics markup somewhere. The markup error needs to be found and fixed.
I looked into it. The entire page was imported from WikiQuote, so you might try seeing if they have an updated version and reimport the content from it to fix things.

Also, those with the admin flag can edit SocialProfile pages:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:EditProfile

For some odd reason, this special page is unlisted, but just in case a spammer or malcious user posts spam or something illegal or obscene, you can use this to remove it.

This DOES NOT leave a log action, so if you use this and it's not on an obvious spam or vandal account, please make a notation you used this and why somewhere.

That's ... a powerful ability. I can see why it isn't listed.
--
Rob Kelk

http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests ... reban_them

Waiting for the apology from Mr. Lewis for how he has now gotten it grotesquely wrong twice regarding the entire LP situation including colluding with the individual and then deciding to personally intervene on various occasions in order to either threaten quitting when matters didn't go his way and then blame our concerns as his paranoid delusion that ATT somehow wanted to take over the entirety of Miraheze and Reception for disseminating what was a private email between two people in order to try to score points for himself and silence dissent, showing immense cowardice and in general being an utter snake of a human being.

This is my victory lap.

I would also like to make a demand that since Reception was so happy making emails between him and myself available (how incredibly interesting and funny how the original CoC draft gave permission to do this under the excuse of "whistleblowing"; which would have given him a free pass if we didn't manage to get it removed), that any future correspondence that occurs between any banned users and Miraheze staff also become publicly available on Miraheze.

Why? This is my victory lap.

I want to let John know that if he lets this happen for a third time; what you Americans can call a "strike" and he won't be able to threaten a resignation on my talk page because I used terms he didn't like to describe utter incompetency. I'd be demanding it.

This is my victory lap.

Cool.  I just edited Geth's profile to set his birthday to the same day as the U.S.  Fun fun.
It's cool you're taking a victory lap and all, but maybe this all proves that the reban proposal wasn't necessary after all, and Amanda had significant rope with which to make herself hanged.   The problem with moderation is that it's a shit job, and no matter what you do you make someone unhappy.  Notice I my continued avoidance of global steward rights.
For my part in this, I vote brigaded you all into this.  Once.  Once the ban passed, everyone was aware that Amanda was on a short leash.  But beyond that, I had a sense that it was going to take care of itself and eventually stopped complaining.  To LulzKiller (and RobSterbal, who doesn't read this): be careful that you do not become what you hate.  Don't keep annoying staff.  We're aware of your opinions, really.  So while it's fine for you to gloat here over this happy event, I'd appreciate it if you don't take it back to the wiki.
John Lewis is planning to be less involved come the new year, and Void is proving himself to be a good steward.  None of the staff has a desire to work with Amanda again at this point.  (In fact, I came into the discussion right after Amanda had been banned, which was quite the hello!)  I'm saying, these things are taking care of themselves already, so there's no need to fight this one.
I'll also remind you that we can't share emails involving personally identifying information, but whether or not emails to administrators can be shared isn't really addressed in the privacy policy.  But suffice to say that Amanda thinks we've all gone nuts, thinks "it wasn't me" is a valid excuse in this situation, and wants a wiki dump.
-- ∇×V