Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
We so rarely have duplicate pages, and when we do we usually turn one of them into a redirect for the other... Do we need "Duplicate Page" as a reason to delete a page?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
wrote: Wrote:We so rarely have duplicate pages, and when we do we usually turn one of them into a redirect for the other... Do we need "Duplicate Page" as a reason to delete a page?
LT/Bob did add a template giving such for a page that I had then deleted so I thought it was best to add one for the future.
Fair enough.
--
Rob Kelk

Did anybody else get a private board-to-board message from "ContactDummyAnon"?
--
Rob Kelk

on yuku or ATT?
wrote: Wrote:Did anybody else get a private board-to-board message from "ContactDummyAnon"?
wrote: Wrote:on yuku or ATT?
On ATT.

I get the feeling that this is going to be one of those contentious requests... I'm willing to take the lead on it.
--
Rob Kelk

I don't seem to have personally received it, what is the body of this message?
I'm not surprised that you didn't receive it - if I'm looking at the time stamps correctly, your admin rights weren't restored when it was sent.

Anyway... It was marked as a private message, but it affects at least one other admin, so here it is.
Quote:Hello? This is a dummy account trying to ultimately appeal a wrongful ban on my person's existing account, imposed months ago by a staff member who has since proven himself to be a personal troll and active cross-site harasser. I'm writing to the other admins of this site, such as you, to report and discuss these matters safely, and resolve the conflict.

Please let me know as soon as you're getting this, I need someone in your position to talk with.
I've replied asking which staff member blocked the account and which account was blocked.
--
Rob Kelk

External links search isn't updating after editing links on the freebie wiki. Did something fall over, or is it just slow?
--
Rob Kelk

@robkelk, seems like Brent and Bob also received this message, but seemingly not Geth.

This adds to my suspicions as to who this user might be, I have a rough guess but not one I can declare authoritatively.
http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Movie_Match_Up

This is apparently in needs better title.

Proposed new title: Movie Mirror.

Any consensus?
wrote: Wrote:http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Movie_Match_Up

This is apparently in needs better title.

Proposed new title: Movie Mirror.

Any consensus?
The request for a new name is thee years old, and has zero replies. Other, newer discussion topics on the same page have replies.

Given that, the consensus appears to me to be "keep the name it has now."
--
Rob Kelk

I left a message here since I'm seriously wanting to know why this user refuses to believe they will get fair treatment:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tug14jo64tx0jwcy

At this point, I want to make clear if it's me they are so fearful of, regardless who they were, I will not interfere as the other admins review their earlier block and decide amongst themselves if it's reversal is warranted. I will even refrain from asking the other admins for any details of the private conversations they have with this user or themselves unless both the user and admins given their consent to fill me in.
I've also left a message in that thread. If the user can come back and ask Bob whether he's received the user's request, then the user can also answer the questions that I asked earlier. This user wants us to take action - the onus is on the user to explain exactly what action is desired.
--
Rob Kelk

Hey Rob, maybe if you still want that mug, maybe you can get a knockoff from this company: http://www.amazon.com/Orei/b/ref=w_bl_ ... e-bin=Orei

Or was Orain the knockoff? Or did Dusti move to China and get into electronics? So many unanswered questions!
-- ∇×V
The user finally replied on my board, and I've done some investigation and pondering.

Here's my conclusion: http://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?ti ... qp71ft92mq

I'll wait until LulzKiller, Vorticity, and Looney Toons have weighed in before locking the ContactDummyAnon account as a duplicate of the Molemanninethousand account. One or all of you might want to ask some questions, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

Moleman aka Gabe Navarro's recorded actions were enough to get him banned globally on Wikia on 11 different occasions. Geth and Wikia have worked together to curtail Moleman's activities (which included harassment). I think we can clean our hands of him on this side of ATT.

I don't feel the need to ask questions myself.
Two things.

One, as to the Moleman issue, I think it can illustrated why he is not someone we want to deal with for any reason, and if no one objects, I'd like to block his alt account as a precautionary measure, unless someone else would like to do so instead.

And second, my father had to go back to the hospital, but this is good news, as they determined he DOESN'T need dialysis, at least not at this time. He had a kidney stone and some garbage that needs flushed out of his kidneys, but he's far from as bad off as was originally believed.
Second thing first: That is good news!

As for MM9K...

The statement "I would prefer if it would be hidden again and considered resolved, for the same reason" tells me that there's no reason to keep the sockpuppet account active. If MM9K wants the matter dropped, then we drop it and close the duplicate account.

Of course we won't hide the discussion. Does rule 6 of the Policy for Wiki Staff apply?
--
Rob Kelk

wrote: Wrote:Second thing first: That is good news!

As for MM9K...

The statement "I would prefer if it would be hidden again and considered resolved, for the same reason" tells me that there's no reason to keep the sockpuppet account active. If MM9K wants the matter dropped, then we drop it and close the duplicate account.

Of course we won't hide the discussion. Does rule 6 of the Policy for Wiki Staff apply?

Given this is a matter of public record concerning a user who was banned for reason determined to be suitable and who has proven their first ban was justified by their own actions, the matter should remain public in the event of later question concerning the judgment of the admins, aka, we won't censor for prejudice as determined by rule 6, as we want to make clear the decision was reached on its objective merits, not any undue bias.

Second, having personally dealt with this user, letting them hide anything of this nature would be counterproductive, not to mention would be showing undue partiality for a matter that is in no way sensitive nor deserving special discretion.

And thanks for the opinion on my father's health, I couldn't agree more.
As the owner, so to speak, of the page in question I say no hiding the topic regardless.

And let me just reiterate here -- I'm voting to continute the ban and kill the sockpuppet both.

Finally, here's wishing a fast and full recovery for your father, Geth!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
More evidence that Geth and I are seekritly the same person: last month my father recently had surgery to cut up a large kidney stone that wasn't moving after a couple of months... and perhaps longer.  The whole situation is very not fun and painful, but at least the surgery is very low risk.  Anyway, I'll be praying your father's recovery, Geth.

Also, no comment on the molemen.  I don't really feel like I need to investigate when three of you come to the same conclusion.  If you have a question that needs a nuanced answer, I'll gladly check, but this doesn't seem like one of them.
-- ∇×V
Since no other admin wants to ask any questions, I'll go lock the account.

EDIT: Done.
--
Rob Kelk

As someone who's only been looking in intermittantly for a while, I've got to say that the frequency with which stuff like this seems to happen on admin talk pages seems to me unhelpful as far as transparency goes. It's not just the information being out there, but that it can be found, after all.

Of course, it's easy for me to say "that kind of conversation should be moved elsewhere", but I have no idea where that elsewhere would be.

-Morgan.
That's a good point.  Maybe we should have some kind of archive board, read-only, specifically for storing such threads.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.