Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Re: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IX
Axis Powers Hetalia has something unique about something in it's subpages

Instead of having the characters in one subpage, they split them out into multiple, but they don't do it under Characters/subpage name, they do it under Axis Powers Hetalia/subpage name.

Should I move it to that?

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Axis_Powe ... Characters for context
Yes, please fix this if you have the time. (It looks like all of the links are at the top of all of the pages... which is a prime candidate for conversion to a navigation box, IMHO. Why update a link dozens of times when you can update it once instead?)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
i'm more concerned with why regex won't let me change the links, even though I admit I could be doing it wrong.
LulzKiller Wrote:i'm more concerned with why regex won't let me change the links, even though I admit I could be doing it wrong.

If I knew how the regex tool worked, I'd use it myself - I've been using regular expressions for decades. (I'm in the middle of changing on the freebie wiki "http:" to "http:" for sites where Secure HTTP work, and still have nearly 300 entries to go.) The tool seems fundamentally broken to me.
--
Rob Kelk

So... Miraheze is two years old today.
http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze-2-year

And there are stats available for the public wikis.
http://wikistats.wmflabs.org/display.php?t=mh

All The Tropes has over three times as many content pages as all the other public wikis hosted on Miraheze put together. (The freebie wiki is third on the list. I can easily come up with enough content pages to bump it up to second... if only I had time.)
--
Rob Kelk

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Axis_Powe ... _The_Night

this is obviously not a characters page, but has some hetero relations that make it unsuitable for ho yay. am currently stuck as to where to move it under.
LulzKiller Wrote:http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Axis_Powe ... _The_Night

this is obviously not a characters page, but has some hetero relations that make it unsuitable for ho yay. am currently stuck as to where to move it under.

(goes and looks)

That's a list of examples of a single trope. I would move it from "Axis Powers Hetalia/Ships That Pass in The Night" to "Ships That Pass in The Night/Axis Powers Hetalia", myself. Leave a redirect and you don't even need to update the main trope page.

I just created a new navbox: Web Comics Archived by the Library of Congress.

Out of 38 entries, 22 are redlinks... so the next page I'll update is List of Works That Need Summary/Web Comics.
--
Rob Kelk

done
Guys, keep an eye on/out for a new contributor calling himself Superjerk29.  He's been dumping work pages into the wiki without bothering to learn how we do things here, and ignoring our markup and boilerplate.  Two of the three pages he's put up so far have been direct imports from TVT which I've had to delete as copyright violations -- he's clearly not the original author, as he has a presence there (at least, I think it's a safe bet that TVT's "Superjerk28" is him), and hasn't made any significant contributions to either of the pages.

Interestingly, the third page ("Natural History") doesn't have a counterpart that I can find on TVT, but it looks like it was just cut'n'pasted.

Anyway, I've posted a "please stop and learn our ways" message on his user page, but he strikes me as a drive-by contributor who doesn't have a clue that we do things a little differently, and arguably doesn't care.  If he ignores my note and keeps posting imports, we may need to suspend his page creation rights until we can get his attention.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
He's already responded, I think he is sort of confused about the relations between TVT and ATT, especially with copyright, I'm happy for others to handle with first if need be; seems like a nice enough kid but seems to not understand we're not trying to run him off or why we don't allow new copies of TVT articles.
Thanks. I've posted a reply that I hope makes the difference between various CC licenses clearer.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, I think we handled this right, and he's learning what he needs to know here.
-- Bob
---------
Guess who has two thumbs and is the new owner of orain.org? ???? This guy!

If you have a domain you want redirected from orain.org to a new wiki, let me know. This applies even if you're not with Miraheze.
-- ∇×V
Got your email, much appreciated news this is!
vorticity Wrote:Guess who has two thumbs and is the new owner of orain.org?  ????  This guy!

If you have a domain you want redirected from orain.org to a new wiki, let me know.  This applies even if you're not with Miraheze.

Would you be kind enough to redirect poserdazfreebies.orain.org to poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org , please? There are still a few old links out there.
--
Rob Kelk

Don't know whether I should have done this considering how little time I have to work on it at the moment... Ah, well - that's what Wiki Magic is for.

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Nova_Trek
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
vorticity Wrote:Guess who has two thumbs and is the new owner of orain.org?  ????  This guy!

If you have a domain you want redirected from orain.org to a new wiki, let me know.  This applies even if you're not with Miraheze.

Would you be kind enough to redirect poserdazfreebies.orain.org to poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org , please? There are still a few old links out there.
Just FYI, I've added the redirect and the orain.org URL should now redirect to the miraheze.org.
Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

We may have a minor long-term problem -- as a side effect of going through the Wayback Machine archives of my website last week, I discovered that they seem to be offlining anything older than about five years.  I was once able to get copies of my site's top page going back to the founding of the Machine; now there's nothing there older than about 2012.  This is going to have some severe repercussions on our ability to restore still-lost material.  We need to go through "Pages Needing Restoration" now and rescue everything we can before it becomes unavailable for casual retrieval.
-- Bob
---------
Huh. Hmmm. I've still got 2006 captures for a certain site (though without entering the index.htm it only showed 2005 ones), but that's still concerning.

-Morgan.
Is that an official policy or some technical error?

Also someone might want to remind Lulu to put those episode pages as a recap and not just create them as articles all on their own, it's getting to the point she re-created almost the same page three times instead of just adding to the recap. 
Bob Schroeck Wrote:We may have a minor long-term problem -- as a side effect of going through the Wayback Machine archives of my website last week, I discovered that they seem to be offlining anything older than about five years.  I was once able to get copies of my site's top page going back to the founding of the Machine; now there's nothing there older than about 2012.  This is going to have some severe repercussions on our ability to restore still-lost material.  We need to go through "Pages Needing Restoration" now and rescue everything we can before it becomes unavailable for casual retrieval.

I confirm that the Drunkard's walk main page is archived "17 times between February 24, 2012 and December 27, 2016" as of this posting.

I also report that I can pull data from as far back as 2002 from other sites.

Did you annoy somebody at archive.org, Bob? <g>

But, yes, if we're going to pull data out of the Wayback Machine, best to do it sooner rather than later. We have a list of pages that we want; I wonder whether someone can automate a crawl of them.
--
Rob Kelk

Which of the Insult Tropes is this? None of the tropes in the category appear to fit.

{{quote|'''Private Hudson:''' Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
'''Private Vasquez:''' No. Have you?|''[[Aliens]''}}
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Which of the Insult Tropes is this? None of the tropes in the category appear to fit.

{{quote|'''Private Hudson:''' Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
'''Private Vasquez:''' No. Have you?|''[[Aliens]''}}
http://allthetropes.org/wiki/No,_You

Easy.
That was a pretty sick burn.  Big Grin