Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advance planning for Halifax trip
Advance planning for Halifax trip
It has been strongly suggested to me to take my vacation time this year instead of letting it accumulate in my time bank - because my time bank is full, not taking my vacation would mean a one-time payment in lieu, and the relatively-new payroll system has some issues (to put it mildly).

So, I have enough money and time to drive to Nova Scotia (which, of course, means driving through New Brunswick twice - and I already know enough to pack a roll of loonies in the glove box for tolls and an emergency kit in the trunk just in case). I understand that I have relatives somewhere in Cape Breton, but I'm not sure exactly where - however, I do have an email address to follow up.

Other than The Halifax Citadel and Pier 21 (both in Halifax), what do I want to see?

Where do I want to eat? I've already been told by a chef acquaintance of mine that the freshest seafood in Nova Scotia is found outside of Halifax, but where? Can I get any decent Scottish-style meals, or is the only Scotland left in Nova Scotia in the province's name? And I have no idea where to find a memorably-good meal in New Brunswick.

Where do I want to drink? Are there any craft breweries in NS and NB? (I don't count Keith's as a craft beer any more.) Are there any craft distillers?

Where can I get souvenirs to bring back for friends and family?

Where can I get CDs from the local bands, in any musical styles? Which local bands are the good ones?

What do I want to do with my time other than sightsee, shop, and eat? (If I do have those relatives, at least one day will be spent getting to know them, assuming Maritimers from Nova Scotia are anything like my co-workers from Newfoundland... but that leaves me more than a few days to fill.)

And while I'm in the area, does anybody want to meet me?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

My mother has relatives in that area, and my parents were up there recently. I'll see if they have any suggestions.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

A lot of this depends on how far out of your way you're interested in going, and when long you're going to be here.

For things to see,  Annapolis Royal, Port Royal and Fort Anne are probably a bit out of your way, given that they're in the opposite direction from Cape Breton.  Grand-Pré is a bit less out of your way.

Lunenburg is usually interesting, and relatively close to Halifax, as is Peggy's Cove.  You can usually get fairly good sea food around there, although Peggy's Cove is a bit of a tourist destination.

In Cape Breton itself, there's the Cabot Trail if you're in to hiking, the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck, the Miner's Museum in Glace Bay and the Fortress of Louisbourg.

In Halifax itself, there's Point Pleasant Park and Sanford Flemming park which have a few interesting features such as a Martello tower and the remains of several batteries.  But mostly they're 
just nice places to walk.  The waterfront has a lot of small shops and restraunts, and if you're going to Peir 21 you'll be at the southern end of that.  This includes, but is not limited to the 
Maratime Museum of the Atlantic, Garrison Brewing, the Atlantic Film Festival (in September), Harbour Hopper Tours (but don't believe everything their guides say), and Nova Scotian Crystal.

In the vein of museums in Halifax there's also the Maritime Command Museum, the Africville Museum, Quaker House and the Dartmouth Heritage Society.

If you're more into nature there's the Public Gardens downtown, and a number of other parks around the city.  Hemlock Ravine park is nice, and connected to the heart pond and the Prince's Lodge, which sounds more grand than it is.  Shubie park is also nice and has a fewbits and pieces of the old canal still working, IIRC you can rent canoes and possibly kayaks there.  But as I said, there's a lot of parks in and around the city.

I'd go see the Public Gardens in any case, as you'll be close by if you're visiting the Citadel.

For food, in Halifax there's several nice restaurants in the Hydrostone market.  My knowledge of the more downtown places is slightly out of date, but Tom's Little Havana was always nice.  There are a lot of restaurants in the downtown area.  As far as seafood goes, there are some ok places along the waterfront, and Wharf Wraps at Fisherman's Wharf in Eastern Passage used to be very good, but it's beena while since I've been there.

As far as Scottish style food, that's mostly going to be found in Cape Breton.  The rest of the province is a mixture of French, German and English by heritage.

For local breweries, I'm not a big beer drinker, but there's fair number around the province.  In Halifax Propeller and Garrison are the big-ish ones. There's also Good Robot Brewing, the Downeast Beer Factory, Gahan house, Granite Brewery, Nine Locks Brewing, North Brewing, and Two Crows, among other.  There's also a lot outside of Halifax, but I'm much less familiar with them.

You've missed craft beer week by about a month, sadly.

For distilleries, there's the Gelnora Distillery in Glenville Cape Breton, who also have an Inn attached.  The Steinhart distillery in Airisag, the Halifax Distilling Co., Chain Yard Cidery among others.

If you do end up going to the Annapolis Valley, there's the Luckett Vineyard which has a nice restaurant and a good view of the Gaspereau valley, and several other vineyards in the area.

For souvenirs, I don't really know about that.  There's one store that I know of that's nothing but kitsch for tourists and you can find Nova Scotia themed almost anything there.  Though I can't speak for the quality.  You could probably get something nice, but rather expensive at Nova Scotian Crystal.

Events and bands and the like tend to depend on when you're going to be here. I'm also really a bad person to ask about this sort of thing as my usual way of finding out about stuff is hearing people talk about it the day after. Shakespeare by the Sea is doing _All's Well That Ends Well_ in July and _Julius Caeser_ in August, and _Peter Pan_ all summer, starting in July.

I wouldn't mind a meet up while you're in Halifax.

-- 
"Can there yet remain some villany thou hast not committed?"
 - Mom, _Calvin & Hobbes_

As far a nature goes, there's the Bay Of Fundy maybe, supposed to have the largest tides in the world.

How did I forget the Bay of Fundy? Thanks, Timote.

Firvulag, as to my schedule: My thoughts last month were to get on the Trans-Canada Highway and not stop until I reached Signal Hill, then see the sights on my way back. My thoughts last week were "oh god oh god make the pain in my wrist stop" ... My wrist is not that bad any more, but I'm not up to seeing Newfoundland this trip or driving on Canada Day weekend. It'll take three days to get to Halifax (and the same to get back), which leaves me two weeks in early-to-mid July for the vacation proper.

And my relatives aren't in Cape Breton, but they're close - they're in Northumberland. (Silly-digression: Is there a matching Pro-gonish anywhere?) EDIT: Aargh - I'll be there just too late to see the Highland Games.
--
Rob Kelk

Some notes from Mom - a little stream of consciousness:

ecss mom Wrote:Halifax... Hmmmmm. The Citidal is the place to go to view the harbour(Halifax Harbor) . I believe there is a museum up there as well. Down on the docks are some very nice restaurants where they can get fresh fish that comes in off the boats daily. Of course no trip to Halifax is complete without going to Peggy's Cove- a mecca for artists. There is a huge monument there carved like an enormous bas-relief of the fishermen and villagers of Peggy's Cove that was sculpted by William de Garth who lived there. It's also an area noted for the giant boulders and outcroppings that were left by the ice age some 20,000 years ago. When the glacier receded it took the topsoil and exposed the 415 million year old Devonian granite that one sees now....some of them are still in odd positions "balanced" if you will, one on top of another. Tell them not to go near the rocks by the shore if there is a storm. I can't tell you how many people have been dragged away by the many rogue waves they get there. I'm pretty sure there's a museum there also.There are lots of interesting coves there....Terrance Bay is another one. The place I lived in is called Hatchet Lake and there is still a lake there that (name redacted) and I swam across when we were 11 or 12. 5 of us started out and only two of us made it. Thank heavens we were sensible enough to have someone in a dingy that rowed across because three others got severe cramps. The lake is spring fed and is always very very cold! They would have to pass by it if they go on Prospect Road which leads to Peggy's Cove. It makes a big loop from Halifax.
They can certainly look on line for other things to see in Halifax. It's quite a large city and has a lot of historical events. Your great uncle used to run a tugboat in the harbour. He was quite wealthy I guess, because he belonged to the Halifax yacht club also. My mom used to row in skiffs across the harbour. Whether she raced or not , I don't know.
Well, I waited until this morning to send this in case I thought of something else. I really can't....it's been so long since we've been there. Dad remembered a tower that we went to in Halifax . It's called The Dingle, and has some historical significance but I don't remember what. That's about all I know. Certainly there are historical facts and events they can read from the internet. Hope this helps.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Well if early July is before the 6th, you might also consider the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo for events.  Jazz fest is from 12 to the 16th and the Lebanese festival runs from the 6th to the 9th.
There are also several different harbour tours you can take, ranging from the cheap (taking the ferry across to Dartmouth and back) to whale watching and fishing:  http://www.mtcw.ca/tour-schedule
And if your relatives are in Northumberland, you probably won't be too far from the Steinhart distillery.

The Dingle tower is an interesting bit of architecture and has a very nice view of the Northwest Arm.  The park it's in, (Sir Samford Flemming Park) is nice as well.

If you can get out to Cape Breton I would definitely recommend going to Louisbourg, the fort is intact and during the summer there's re-enactors populating a rebuilt part of the town.

And sadly no, there is no pro-gonish.  We don't seem to be that clever with place names, see Pubnico, West Pubnico, East Pubnico, Middle West Pubnico, Middle East Pubnico, Lower West Pubnico and of course Lower East Pubnico.

-- 
                [Sig space to let. Reasonable rates. Apply today] 

Quote: We don't seem to be that clever with place names, see Pubnico, West Pubnico, East Pubnico, Middle West Pubnico, Middle East Pubnico, Lower West Pubnico and of course Lower East Pubnico.
A propos of nothing relevant to the conversation, Nova Scotia has no monopoly on such heights of cleverness. Allow me to point you at New Jersey, with New Brunswick and the neighboring towns of East Brunswick, North Brunswick and South Brunswick (all located to the south of New Brunswick), and the City of Orange with East Orange, South Orange and West Orange (which is located north of Orange proper).
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Alas, the earliest I'll be able to get there is the 7th - I'm not driving on the Canada Day / Independence Day long weekend if I can help it. This means I also miss the Highland Games being held in Antigonish.

As for unimaginative place names, that's arguably better than Newfoundland's apparent naming convention (Tickle Cove, Dildo, Come By Chance, Conception Bay, etc.) At least they're printable in a grade-school atlas.
--
Rob Kelk

I've booked a hotel room in Halifax (the hotel's about a block away from the Citadel), so now I have a start and end for my timetable. Check-in is after 3pm on July 6, check-out is before 1pm on the 16th. Yes, this means I'm driving in Quebec on July 4.

At least one day will be spent visiting my relatives in Antigonish - that day is TBD.

I probably will stop at Steinhart (and I see from Google Maps that there's a picturesque lighthouse just up the road). Do they really not make rum? Even the craft distillers in eastern Ontario make rum, and we don't have a nautical tradition.
--
Rob Kelk

I would guess they dont make it cause their tired of it always being gone?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Here's a little something to listen to on the way home.

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Not a bad version...
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I've got my list of music to find...
http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18751/hali ... s-to-watch
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I've booked a hotel room in Halifax (the hotel's about a block away from the Citadel), so now I have a start and end for my timetable. Check-in is after 3pm on July 6, check-out is before 1pm on the 16th. Yes, this means I'm driving in Quebec on July 4.
And the hotel finally sent me a reservation confirmation.

robkelk Wrote:I probably will stop at Steinhart (and I see from Google Maps that there's a picturesque lighthouse just up the road). Do they really not make rum? Even the craft distillers in eastern Ontario make rum, and we don't have a nautical tradition.
Did some research. It looks like Steinhart Distillery, Ironworks Distillery and [url=]Glenora Distillers[/url] don't make rum, although Ironworks makes some intriguing liqueurs. Halifax Distilling Co. does nothing but rum. Caldera Distilling makes rum from sugarcane instead of molasses - must try that. Barrelling Tide Distillery and Coldstream Clear Distillery each have quite the line of liqueurs alongside their rums and vodkas.

Beer: Of course there's Alexander Keith's. I noticed there's also Trider's Craft Beer, Spindrift Garrison Brewing Co., Propeller Brewing Company, North Brewing Company, and Garrison Brewing Company - Garrison also makes soda.

I think that'll fill my car's trunk.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, it's time.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be in a motel near Quebec City this evening, in a motel near Fredericton tomorrow evening, and in Halifax on Thursday. I have no idea whether I'll be able to connect between this posting and arriving in Halifax.

EDIT: Checkpoint 1 reached: Montmagny, Quebec. Wi-fi is not secure. RE-EDIT: I'm definitely not in puritanical Ontario any more; there's a beer vending machine in the lobby.

EDIT: Checkpoint 2 reached: Fredericton, New Brunswick. wired connection; no wi-fi.
--
Rob Kelk

Well you're about halfway through NB, so that's something.
You've probably already got your route planned out, but I should probably mention this. Assuming you're taking the 104 to Truro and then the 102 to Halifax: if you plan on going over the bridges to get to your hotel, 1) bring loonies and 2) the southern bridge (the McDonald) is closed for resurfacing most evenings from 7pm to 5:30am, except for Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd already planned to avoid the bridge; knowing that I'd have to dodge construction cones (even if there aren't any construction workers present) just confirms my choice.

My planned route is through Truro. First, the ferry between Saint John and the Bay of Fundy would add 2 hours to my trip; second, I want to stop at the Stanfields factory store.
--
Rob Kelk

Gordon's ARRIVED!

Okay, okay - I'm in Halifax now. Wired connection for the laptop.

Firvulag, I brought four cans of beer from the Clocktower Brewpub.
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Advance planning for Halifax trip
I didn't save my PMs before the board migration, and they aren't there any more...
--
Rob Kelk

In the "pics or it didn't happen" category, I spotted this wall art while looking for a place to get lunch. It was an auspicious sign; lunch was excellent and inexpensive
--
Rob Kelk

Been busy...

The Citadel is literally across the street from the hotel, so I went there first thing. I've seen a fair amount of the Harbourfront. I've visited Pier 21 - the Canadian equivalent of Ellis Island. I've visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. I've shopped at Strange Adventures. I've visited Peggy's Cove. I've been to Antigonish. (And I've noticed that somebody does have a sense of humour for assigning place names: Pleasant Valley is just down the road from Malignant Cove, south on NS-245.)

I had some really good craft beer from Garrison Brewery and some good craft beer from Propeller Brewery. I've had a Halifax donair. I've had my dinner with Firvulag. (soon to be a major motion picture... or not). I have enough bottles of craft-distillery rum to last me a year.

I have not visited Dartmouth yet. Should I?

I haven't visited the Bay of Fundy yet, either, but that's on my way home.
--
Rob Kelk

There's nothing particularly interesting about Dartmouth, a few small museums and some parks that are the remnants of the Shubie canal... How do you feel about lakes?

Wharf Seafood at Fisherman's Cove in Eastern Passage had some very good fish and chips last time I was there, but that was a couple of years ago.
--
Cutter John's Theory of Temporo-Natal Irrelevance:
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
I live in eastern Ontario - I can see lakes whenever I want.

Thanks for the restaurant tip. I now have all my meals in Halifax covered.
--
Rob Kelk