Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody want to help edit a wiki?
Anybody want to help edit a wiki?
I know that some of the posters here user Poser or Daz Studio. I know that some of the posters here edit wikis. How big is the overlap between the two groups?

I think I've mentioned that I'm an admin on the Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki. That wiki is intended to be a resource site that describes free resources for Poser and Daz Studio. At the moment, it's more of an index of free resources for Poser and Daz Studio.

Right now, most of the wiki's index pages have listings of the form
Quote:;Free Item
:http://example.com

What we want is listings of the form
Quote:* [[Free Item]
with the page for Free Item listing the URL, the name of the item's creator, the license terms, the prerequisites (if any), and a description of the item. Oh, and a render or two. Not only do the index pages look more professional this way, but the pages for the individual free items can be searched either by Google or by looking through the page categories.

Here's an example of what I think the index pages should look like - entries are sorted into groups, and each entry has its own wiki page.

Here's an example of what most index pages actually look like (except that this one is longer than most) - entries are sorted alphabetically, and more of them are simply bare URLs than are links to wiki pages.

That means we need people who are willing to create pages for the individual free items. The wiki is set up so that you have to have an account in order to edit. (Not specifically because of you-know-who that's been a minor annoyance at Miraheze lately, but blocking that sort of behaviour is one of the reasons why.) There's also a legacy setting somewhere that blocks adding links unless the account is confirmed - which is annoying because the wiki's all about the links, but I haven't had time to troubleshoot that glitch. Thus, I'll have to confirm your account before you can create useful pages... but you all know how to get in touch with me to tell me your account name.

(Also, I could use some help creating page templates, like ATT's "trope" and "work" new-page templates - we don't have any of those yet, and I have no idea how to set them up. The easiest page template other than "blank page" would be "load the existing sidebar template at the top of the page".)

Would anyone care to help out?--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Anybody want to help edit a wiki?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... figuration is the page templates.
Re: Anybody want to help edit a wiki?
LulzKiller Wrote:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... figuration is the page templates.

Thanks.

(goes and looks)

Doesn't appear to be installed ... yet. Need to enter a Phabricator ticket. Saturday. Monday evening.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012