Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
(01-27-2018, 07:10 PM)robkelk Wrote:
Quote:I'll need to also figure out how many different levels there should be along with what they should be called.
Wikivoyage (the travel guide wiki) has a hierarchy that we might want to use: Stub, Outline, Usable, Guide, and Star. All of their Featured articles are either Guide or Star.

A hierarchy similar to that could work, we just need to find a different name from Guide for our GA's / Hall of Very Good as opposed to the HOF that is the featured article/stars.

Also I don't think usable will be the good name for our middle-range articles, but that's again the difference in purposes between voyage and us. I'm also trying to work out if we could fit in fiction/tropes/creative/creations into the levels, but probably not.

I'm trying to think if Stub, Outline, C-List, B-List and A-List would work? In regards to the top three levels relating to fame? It's probably the wrong way to go, I'm just trying to think out loud.
If we were only talking about movie stars, then C-List, B-List, and A-List would be good... but we talk about a lot of other people and things, too. (Likewise, if all we discussed were books, then Stub, Outline, Draft, Manuscript, and Star would work.)

Are we all good with five levels, the lowest of which is Stub?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We hit upon the problem with us being for all forms of media in that situation; Stub is the universal wiki language of the lowest quality article, so agreeing to that is a given.

In terms of amount of levels, the fact that we are a comparatively small wiki in comparison to voyage or WP, simple is best, so 5 levels I can agree to.
(01-28-2018, 12:42 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: We hit upon the problem with us being for all forms of media in that situation; Stub is the universal wiki language of the lowest quality article, so agreeing to that is a given.

In terms of amount of levels, the fact that we are a comparatively small wiki in comparison to voyage or WP, simple is best, so 5 levels I can agree to.

I concur. Once we've agreed on the names of the quality levels,I intend to test this on my own loclahost wiki for testing purposes.

For reasons of simplicity, I suggest we bind the tags to templates we currently have, like our stub and featured article templates, which will automatically add the metadata for quality level to those articles.

In the meantime, I've already made a few realignments to the main page.

The Wikimedia section was bundled into the other wiki tabs on the "Differences" heading, and you'll notice I add two new sections to take better advantage of SocialProfile, the first allowing logged in users to see any updates like friend requests,messages, and so on, while second allows for the newest users to be seen.

I plan to further extend this as I'm going to request the rest of the SP stuff earlier MW builds couldn't handle be enabled once I can confirm they are fixed.
All those default avatars, we might need to have names automatically appear underneath them if possible. I have 0 objection to using featured articles as the highest class either, star was just one option.

Anything that actually makes SocialProfile relevant I am fine with, because it always seemed as having no functionality in practice in day-to-day wiking apart from the user board; which we often don't use in preference to this forum.

One thing I will have to wonder about applying in terms of once we're done is ease of functionality relating to rating these articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kephir/gadgets/rater - this is an unstable abandoned gadget I use on WP - is it possible to use this with custom ratings?
(01-28-2018, 03:45 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: ... this is an unstable abandoned gadget ...

That triggers a warning flag to me. What happens when we discover a bug in it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Did quick look and found that someone has picked it up at a different location:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Evad37/rater
I so rarely log out, so I so rarely log in... Is anybody on ATT seeing the behaviour described here?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-29-2018, 08:50 AM)robkelk Wrote: I so rarely log out, so I so rarely log in... Is anybody on ATT seeing the behaviour described here?

I Saw it a few times yesterday, bizarre.

Seems cleared up now though.
Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Plans for upgrading our site to work better
I am currently testing several new features in localhost right now for implementation on our wiki, in the hopes of improving several features, improving our SEO, and generally making our site more user friendly.

They are as follows:

1. Plan to reintroduce WikiForum: We had to remove it awhile back due to several issues, but it should be mature enough for actual use now, and it has two advantages over our current flow based Forum.

A. SEO is better since Google can index it's pages much easier and links are less ugly and more descriptive than for Flow based pages.
B. Lower overhead in terms of resource usage, (faster loading pages)
C. (Bonus) Hooks in nicely with SocialProfile and takes advantage of it's avatar upload feature.

2. Fixing several uses of SocialProfile for better usability: I intend to implement the rest of the known features of SP, which should provide a better way to see which users are online, provide better ways for users to socialize, and generally make ATT a more collaborative website.

3. Improving internal search results: We have a crippled install of the Related Articles extension, and by simply requesting a few extra extensions for it, we can see new page recommendations in page footers, which also has the added bonus of adding more page metadata for SEO purposes.

Note: This one I can get working, needs some setting changes to work, and I'll have to use my bot to add some metatags, but it works, I just can't implement the automatic version of this extension because it would require Miraheze get another server for the backend tech.

4. Implementing page ratings: I plan to port over quality assessment of articles for ATT, tailored specifically for our needs, which should provide a more intuitive way to look up articles that need help or improvement.

These features are currently being tested and I will provide a report on how well they function after testing is completed, and before implementing these suggestions for production use, I would like opinions and suggestions from the community about these proposed upgrades.
Stub, Draft, Production, Success, Featured Article

Just throwing yet another possible classification system based on previous agreed tenants
What's the key trope in this article? Brown Note? More Than Mind Control? Something else?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RE: Plans for upgrading our site to work better
(01-30-2018, 06:36 PM)GethN7 Wrote: 1. Plan to reintroduce WikiForum: We had to remove it awhile back due to several issues, but it should be mature enough for actual use now, and it has two advantages over our current flow based Forum.

One question (which might be an obvious one for me) -- will we be able to migrate our current forum content to the new system?  Or will we have another layer of orphan/abandoned forum content buried in the wiki?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-31-2018, 08:11 AM)robkelk Wrote: What's the key trope in this article? Brown Note? More Than Mind Control? Something else?

Artificial Stupidity? (No, not seriously, but that might be the direction to explore in tropespace.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Plans for upgrading our site to work better
(01-31-2018, 08:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 06:36 PM)GethN7 Wrote: 1. Plan to reintroduce WikiForum: We had to remove it awhile back due to several issues, but it should be mature enough for actual use now, and it has two advantages over our current flow based Forum.

One question (which might be an obvious one for me) -- will we be able to migrate our current forum content to the new system?  Or will we have another layer of orphan/abandoned forum content buried in the wiki?

Unfortunately, no.

I'm sure it's possible, it would merely involve lifting content from one set of database tables and planting it another in the same database, but I'm unaware of any scripts or information at present how to accomplish this.
Prototype related pages feature
Attached is a screenshot of how related pages as a feature will work on pages:

For pages with images, the related pages will include that in the thumbnail, and it works by pulling pages out of related categories or specifically defined pages, so we could refactor "See Also" sections to instead have this metadata so page footers include this information by default. It also will make our SEO slightly better.

It also works on mobile just fine too.
Where's the documentation for this extension? I might be interested in it for the freebie wiki as well, if it isn't too difficult to define related pages. (And if it works on ATT, of course. Once one Miraheze wiki has it, it'll be easy for another Miraheze wiki to have it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-31-2018, 08:29 PM)robkelk Wrote: Where's the documentation for this extension? I might be interested in it for the freebie wiki as well, if it isn't too difficult to define related pages. (And if it works on ATT, of course. Once one Miraheze wiki has it, it'll be easy for another Miraheze wiki to have it.)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension...edArticles

Be warned, Miraheze cannot handle the automatic version, which uses the elasticsearch backend. That would require a massive server since it indexes terms on pages in real time, which can make such a massive index on even a medium size wiki you'd need one server just for that alone.

The manual version would be pretty easy to automate via bots and you could always streamline it by adding them to pre-existing page templates.
Considering how many stub pages on the freebie wiki would be matched by a "morelink" elasticsearch, I wouldn't want the automatic version anyway.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We used to have a "related pages" feature back on Orain which put a list in the menu column on the left and I'm pretty sure a lot of the markup is still around. I don't remember exactly how it looked, but it probably won't be hard to bot one into the other regardless. Of course, that looks to mean shutting off the auto-related pages, so we probably won't want to do that. Still, the idea of recycling the selections from the old system appeals to me.
-- Bob

Oh, before I forget... I'm still going slowly through the Tropes category and cleaning things both up and out. I've just hit the dozen or so "Console RPG Cliches" pages, which has prompted me to finally get around to creating a {{Just For Fun}} page markup so things like this don't get stuck under Tropes or something else. I'll probably clone it from {{Trope}} or {{Useful Notes}}, but if anyone wants to suggest buttons/subpages to add to or remove from a template, let me know.
-- Bob

JFF would not need any Analysis, or would it?
(02-01-2018, 10:45 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: JFF would not need any Analysis, or would it?

Definitely no Analysis tab. Don't Explain the Joke
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good point.
-- Bob