Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Behold our new forum prototype
Before, WikiForum did not play nice with ATT, forcing us to scrap it, but this time round, the problems are fixed.

Yes, it still has that word wrap problem from before by default

Some MediaWiki:Common.css magic later

Code:
/* CSS placed here will be applied to all skins */

/**
* Fix for http://bugzilla.shoutwiki.com/show_bug.cgi?id=191 (long words do not wrap)
* @see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7284990/css-how-to-break-long-words-in-a-table-td/11423675#11423675
* @see http://webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/word-wrap-force-text-to-wrap
*/
td.mw-wikiforum-thread-main,
td.mw-wikiforum-thread-sub {
    word-wrap: break-word;
    word-break: normal;
    table-layout: fixed;
}

And voila:

Avatars are supported, as is WikiEditor.

Also, links don't look like bizarre mishmashes of letters and numbers like Flow, but instead more like this:

Special:WikiForum/Declaration_of_Independence_copypasta_test.
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
(02-01-2018, 08:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'll probably clone it from {{Trope}} or {{Useful Notes}}, but if anyone wants to suggest buttons/subpages to add to or remove from a template, let me know.

And I realize now, years after the initial discussions we had over what buttons should go in the various templates, that I've forgotten where the menus are defined.

I've found what looks like the base menu definition, sp-menu, as a class in common.css, but I can't find the subclasses/variants like work-menu so I can see how they're built and build my own.  Brent, Geth, can you point me at the right place(s), please?  Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-01-2018, 04:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 08:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'll probably clone it from {{Trope}} or {{Useful Notes}}, but if anyone wants to suggest buttons/subpages to add to or remove from a template, let me know.

And I realize now, years after the initial discussions we had over what buttons should go in the various templates, that I've forgotten where the menus are defined.

I've found what looks like the base menu definition, sp-menu, as a class in common.css, but I can't find the subclasses/variants like work-menu so I can see how they're built and build my own.  Brent, Geth, can you point me at the right place(s), please?  Thanks.

I'd ask Brent for help on that one.

Also, been testing LK's rating assements idea, and it's good news and bad news.

Good news is that the extension installs easily and markup appears to work.

Bad nerws is that it will take a bit of setup before it starts assessing data.

More news when I have it, but I'd like an opinion on what I've shown thus far to work for us plz.
Update: Page Assessments is easy enough to install, but we will have to import a lot of Wikipedia related templates to get the most efficient use of it and to some extent reverse engineer their way of doing this for our own purposes.

As for the final planned feature that is NOT related to SocialProfile stuff (I'll get to that soon), here is a rather stable extension we can use to boost our SEO.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiSEO

I cannot test this for obvious reasons on a localhost wiki, but installation and use are very simple and the extension is quite stable.
I presume a version of the parser-type markup will be incorporated somewhere global, so we don't have to manually tag each page?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-02-2018, 04:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I presume a version of the parser-type markup will be incorporated somewhere global, so we don't have to manually tag each page?

It can be bundled in templates if need be to keep us from having to manually spam it everywhere.

Also, I'd like an opinion on the new proposed features so far and their viability.

The SP stuff is still being tested ATM.
If it's that much work to implement, maybe I don't want it for the freebie wiki...

Hello again, 503s. Why did you have to show up in the middle of my fixing the categories of a set or subpages?

And as soon as I complain, the 503s go away.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The features look impressive and useful to me, there's not much else I can say.
Alright, just to keep it all simple, I assume the following is generally agreed on:

1. WikiForum to replace our current forum (we'll archive the old one)
2. Fixed RelatedArticles for better search results/SEO.
3. WikiSEO for further SEO optimization.

Not sure on:

1. Page ratings (due to complexity required for extension)

--------

Now, onto the remaining ideas I had, want some takes on them.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageRating

This extension allows us to vote on images, which could be used to decide images for pages and similar purposes, bundles nicely with what we have so far.

For Trope Workshop, I thought of a way to overhaul it by implementing a poll for whether a page is launchable on the Trope Workshop talk pages or even on the main pages (they can be removed when page is ready to launch). An example of how they look and how they can be ported to page (there is even a special page to keep track of all polls) is here:

http://social-tools.wmflabs.org/wiki/Pol...e_Polls%3F

We can even enable comments to mimic the TV Tropes TW format on the pages if preferred.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuizGame

Fun feature for users.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HAWelcome

Enhanced version of the depreciated Automatic Board Welcome we once had, optimized for latest MW versions.

There are a few other minor things I wanted to do, but that's mostly maintenance stuff, like removing a few extensions we hardly use or are resource hogs that crap out more often than they work (SiteScout for example)

Anyway, that's everything, would love to know what everyone decides so I can write up a feature request.
Speaking for myself - comments in the same order:

Agreed that the first three are of use.

Page ratings and image ratings should wait until we decide on criteria. What makes a "good" page or image, and what makes one resource "better" than another? The we can determine whether the extensions support our criteria. There's no point in implementing software that might not do what we want done.

Polls are nice, as long as they aren't straitjackets.

Why would we want to mimic TV Tropes' TW format? I thought we were going our own way with our own look and feel.

I'd probably waste some time writing some quizzes...

Yes, an acknowledgment that somebody has contributed is a Good Thing (assuming the contribution isn't spam, of course).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The database appears to be unreachable.

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading. For more information on this error please check out our twitter page (Twitter.com/Miraheze) or contact the system administrators by connecting to #miraheze on irc.freenode.net

(Cannot access the database: Cannot access the database: Unknown database 'metawiki' (81.4.125.112))
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-02-2018, 11:35 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Alright, just to keep it all simple, I assume the following is generally agreed on:

1. WikiForum to replace our current forum (we'll archive the old one)
2. Fixed RelatedArticles for better search results/SEO.
3. WikiSEO for further SEO optimization.

Not sure on:

1. Page ratings (due to complexity required for extension)

--------

Now, onto the remaining ideas I had, want some takes on them.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImageRating

This extension allows us to vote on images, which could be used to decide images for pages and similar purposes, bundles nicely with what we have so far.

For Trope Workshop, I thought of a way to overhaul it by implementing a poll for whether a page is launchable on the Trope Workshop talk pages or even on the main pages (they can be removed when page is ready to launch). An example of how they look and how they can be ported to page (there is even a special page to keep track of all polls) is here:

http://social-tools.wmflabs.org/wiki/Pol...e_Polls%3F

We can even enable comments to mimic the TV Tropes TW format on the pages if preferred.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:QuizGame

Fun feature for users.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HAWelcome

Enhanced version of the depreciated Automatic Board Welcome we once had, optimized for latest MW versions.

There are a few other minor things I wanted to do, but that's mostly maintenance stuff, like removing a few extensions we hardly use or are resource hogs that crap out more often than they work (SiteScout for example)

Anyway, that's everything, would love to know what everyone decides so I can write up a feature request.

Image rating out of stars? No. I'd be more than happy with a class-system for images too if needed, like WP has featured images.

Are polls select-group-votable, and will those polls show what each user voted? Transparency is key. We don't want brigading or fraud going on.

I mean if we have to have quizzes, they should be on a specific subpage for the topic of that quiz; I think having them on the main pages of the specific topic would be heavily advised against.

I'm all for automated welcomes.
So, let's see...

Got a random Bad Gateway error yesterday while deleting a page. Since the page was deleted when I finally got around it, I figure it happened on the return confirmation page. Still, bad gateway, no biscuit.

As for the suggested extensions:

A polling extension strikes me as a good way to get launch votes, but I wonder if we could put some kind of timer on it -- "vote by now or forget it". I agree with Rob though that there's no need to copy TVT's look-n-feel on anything.

I see no harm in a quiz extension. And yeah, auto welcomes are fine by me.
-- Bob

(02-05-2018, 08:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: So, let's see...

Got a random Bad Gateway error yesterday while deleting a page.  Since the page was deleted when I finally got around it, I figure it happened on the return confirmation page.  Still, bad gateway, no biscuit.

A polling extension strikes me as a good way to get launch votes, but I wonder if we could put some kind of timer on it -- "vote by now or forget it".  I agree with Rob though that there's no need to copy TVT's look-n-feel on anything.

I see no harm in a quiz extension.  And yeah, auto welcomes are fine by me.

As for the poll question, no, but the poll can be removed and disabled at admin discretion, it will be logged.

As for adding comments to polls, that's fine, it's an option, not hard requirement.

If that's not an issue, I'll get the remaining maintenance stuff tested then fill out a feature request.
The wiki's slowed to a crawl and is throwing the occasional 504 gateway error now.
-- Bob

(02-05-2018, 08:52 AM)GethN7 Wrote:

Got a random Bad Gateway error yesterday while deleting a page.  Since the page was deleted when I finally got around it, I figure it happened on the return confirmation page.  Still, bad gateway, no biscuit.

A polling extension strikes me as a good way to get launch votes, but I wonder if we could put some kind of timer on it -- "vote by now or forget it".  I agree with Rob though that there's no need to copy TVT's look-n-feel on anything.

As for the poll question, no, but the poll can be removed and disabled at admin discretion, it will be logged.

As for adding comments to polls, that's fine, it's an option, not hard requirement.

If that's not an issue, I'll get the remaining maintenance stuff tested then fill out a feature request.
The lack of timing option only makes me more hesitant on them
(02-06-2018, 02:25 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 08:52 AM)GethN7 Wrote:

The lack of timing option only makes me more hesitant on them

Alright, for the extensions we aren't sure on, I'll add them as options but restricted to admin use only. We can decide from there if they are worth general deployment at a later date.
503/Backend Fetch errors are back.

EDIT: Along with 504 gateway timeouts.

Oh, the fun never stops. Because it never gets started.
-- Bob

(02-06-2018, 11:56 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, the fun never stops.  Because it never gets started.

Or, as I still like to put it 25 years and change later, the party never stops on Selina Kyle's answering machine.
Just a heads-up, we had what appears to be another appearance of Sky Knight Subaki, under the name IchiRukia, who swooped in and tried to destroy the Male Frontal Nudity page by moving it and its subpages to an existing work page and then restoring their old contents over the moved stuff.  While I've restored the pages to the way they were, this tactic essentially destroyed the page history for Male Frontal Nudity.

IchiRukia then tried an old favorite, hiding the Ban notice for their earlier incarnation, which is why I presume they're Subaki.

Oh, and the wiki's been slowing to an absolute crawl when it isn't throwing 502s/503s/504s, making it rather hard and frustrating to make these repairs.

EDIT: The 50xs have been coming in faster and faster cycles -- yesterday it was half an hour to 45 minutes between periods when they were thrown. Now it's down to 10 minutes or less between unusable times.

EDIT2: Okay, better news. I got the content back with the right histories, in part because the work pages were actually new and populated with material copied directly from TVT (and which I've deleted as copyright violations).
-- Bob

Oh, joy.

I've just set the permissions on the MFN page so that anyone can edit it but only admins can move or delete it - that'll make it harder for laughing boy to vandalize the page without us being able to recover what should be there.

Any suggestions as to which other pages should get the same treatment? This measure is just as effective at protecting pages from the Moral Guardians as it is at protecting pages from the vandals.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You know, I get the feeling that Subaki/IchiRukia is some variety of Moral Guardian. In addition to Male Frontal Nudity, the earlier vandalism involved trying the same tactic on Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom. I don't think it's a coincidence that both were about "naughty" topics.

As to what other pages to protect, I've no idea. It seems anything vaguely "improper" in concept might be a valid target in his eyes.
-- Bob

So, start by semi-protecting everything listed in "Category:Banned On TV Tropes" EDIT: and "Category:Nudity Tropes", since so many Moral Guardians confuse nudity and sex.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Two things: As for our loony Moral Guardian, I'm all for the moves taken to guard against that nonsense, thanks for your intervention.

Second, I'm in the final stages of testing some of the remaining maintenance stuff for that upcoming pull request before I file it, so if anyone can think of anything else I need to add for our Miraheze overlords to do, please let me know now.
IMPORTANT NOTICE, PLAN TO REMOVE THE FOLLOWING EXTENSIONS
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload

(So as to encourage uploading files with proper attribution, resource load reduction)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SiteScout

(resource intensive, rarely used)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EasyTimeline

(seldom used)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MassEditRegex

(bots do this far more effectively and with less site load when executed)

If anyone has a compelling reason to keep any of the above, let me know now.